Deadmau5 Head

Question for those who paint the heads. Im thinking of going this rout next(just getting tired of fabric) and had a question. What are you using as a filler for gap between the globe and the lip?

I used foamboard for the lip on mine and I cut it to the exact shape of the mouth so there is no gap between the globe and the lip.

rcdrift, like venturimyth, I used polystyrene foam to form my lip. However, to make it smoothly paintable I applied about 4 coats of mod podge over the foam, then applied several coats of Bondo for structural integrity. (The Bondo will likely dissolve the foam if you do not apply mod podge as a barrier first.)

The Bondo application is ugly at first (see inset photo), but easily sandable (with patience). Apply light coats, and sand in between; you'll get there.

2edo2rl.jpg

I hope this helps!

I do have touch lights. these are very bright. I'm just having trouble finding what to use for the actual "eyeball" i guess. and also. there's a nice pic of my discomau5 head:3

rcdrift, like venturimyth, I used polystyrene foam to form my lip. However, to make it smoothly paintable I applied about 4 coats of mod podge over the foam, then applied several coats of Bondo for structural integrity. (The Bondo will likely dissolve the foam if you do not apply mod podge as a barrier first.)

The Bondo application is ugly at first (see inset photo), but easily sandable (with patience). Apply light coats, and sand in between; you'll get there.

2edo2rl.jpg

I hope this helps!

thats almost exactly what I just did with my sons 12" head. I used the same foam as the ears and cut the lip. I then used a loctite gap filler to glue it on, and fill any gaps. Just got done sanding it and it worked perfect! Going to paint it tomorrow. Then onto fabric. Just wish I could get my fabric as nice as some of the other guys on the forum.

@RofledKnight Here are some pictures to show you what I mean about the lights that I am using.

View attachment 72431

Here is a picture of the almost finished head.

View attachment 72432

Here is a picture of the light inside of the hole in the eye.

View attachment 72433

Here is a picture of the plastic globe that I will be covering the eye with. I used the frosted effect spray paint on it.

View attachment 72434

Here is a picture of the head with the lights out. I am not able to get full coverage with the paint like I wanted to. I think next time I will have to use the glow in the dark powder instead of the paint to get the full coverage that I am looking for. I don't have time to change it now. The show is in 2 days. lol

i have the same exact idea. mine are just smaller and more powerful. how would i be able to turn on the lights without having to take off the eyes though? or have i just run myself into a ruck?

i have the same exact idea. mine are just smaller and more powerful. how would i be able to turn on the lights without having to take off the eyes though? or have i just run myself into a ruck?

The lights have switches on the inside which is why I cut holes in the globe to have access to the eyes from the inside. I can turn them off and on from the inside of the head and change the batteries as well.

I was finally able to finish my mau5head last night! Even though I deviated from my original idea (no orange anymore) I'm stupidly excited.

tumblr_ltrli8B9SM1qf0ilt

tumblr_lts9zfDim51qf0ilt

The seam around the back is a little ugly, it rolled and rippled but I'm not too worried over it. I'm just so happy it's done!

Now I have to throw together some outfits!

my sons 12" head. Mocking up the rgb leds in the mouth. The eyes, and facemask and just tacked into place. Painted the head with Krylon fusion satin black. Really like the way it turned out. Future project will be to make the ears paintable. Not a huge fan of the 2 textures.

Night One was great, Going all out tonight with neck tats and hearts and scissors on arm.

Was cool how many people gave High Fives and said YEAH DEADMAU5!.

384648_10150342185098990_504693989_8043594_1426726102_n.jpg

Had a Raver girl stop me for a pic!
386385_10150341858033990_504693989_8041929_1398199186_n.jpg

I hope everyone has a great Halloween weekend! Night #1 with my head went outstanding as I was the talk of the party and everybody wanted a picture with me! I cannot wait to continue the festivities tonight! Everyone enjoy!

I'm currently working on a LED Head, The LEDs are pretty much easy to do considering i've figured it all out, But i need donations (Not gonna ask here due to my old topic being closed for doing link) Anyway, If i get them i can do this, i've got the fans, Buying the globe + Fabric from a fellow RPF member, If anyone has ANY Tips on ANYTHING to do with LED Heads then please message me or post here. Thank you.

ALSO: Loving ALL the mau5heads here!

So my head is done! yes the mouth piece isn't in yet but i'm very happy with my final product? yes it is a mirror pic i don't have friends to take pictures of me im to cool for that:cool anyways i'm looking for some advice on my next idea/project. i want to start selling heads. but i'm going to make them using globes not mache (for quality sake) what should my price range be for selling them? and what material should i use for the ears? cardboard or a Styrofoam? any help as always would be appreciated!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back