Studio Scale Snowspeeder

Starting on the bottom.

tf_spdr_11.jpg

All I can say is...the same thing any Crowd would during something Amazing!

OOOOOOOOOOOO AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! :eek

tf_spdr_11.jpg

Thanks man! Hopefully the pics Kurt Kuhn posted without my consent are useful to you, giggle.

I can't take all the decal credit - Gort funded it for his kit, and I outsourced it to a company that makes actual waterslide decals. I just did the graphics, to their spec. The clear layer that they put down makes the decal "separate" like the kind you find in "real" kits - tedious work to make that extra layered file, but WORTH IT!!!

The bottom looks just as good as the top! That's what she said!

I used lacquer thinner for that trick because the paints are enamels.

By the way, and no offense to the other decal makers out there, but your decals for this kit are incredible, they're just like what would come in a styrene kit, it's so cool not having to trim around each decal.

Rel, can you explain the trick, so I can really screw it up when mine comes in?

Hmm. I guess people can correct me if I"m wrong but I think that the lacquer thinner is used for the weathering all the little nicks and scrapes. After you apply a layer of paint (like a dark grey panel) You take a thin paint brush, dip it in thinner and dab the area you want a nick and the thinner will remove the paint in that little spot, It may even create some "damage" to the surrounding area of the spot making it look a little more natural.

Thinner can also be used to thin out paints so you can use it for weathering lighter panels with dirt. Dip the paint brush in the dark paint, then take the paint brush and swirl it around in a cap full of the thinner. You end up with a very liquidy "dirty" thinner that can be used to splotch all sorts of dirty goodness onto your model or into the panel lines.

It's really tough to do correctly because it's so watery. You really need to be precise and "control" where the liquid goes. It takes A LOT of patience and a lot of trial and error.

.....I think. :angel

Here are the pics! posting a sign up thread over at the Junkyard... went through Nick's list and 85% decided the kit was something they didnt want any more. Ive got to sell 15 just to break even... were NOT there yet.

Heres the pics of the Speeder parts......

391189522.jpg

391189536.jpg

391189514.jpg

391189511.jpg

Rich has his Coke... I have Pepsi MAX!

Steve

Hey Steve,

I've been trying to reach you through PMs and emails. Drop me a line if you would. Thanks! The kit looks great.

OUTSTANDING WEATHERING!!!!

I think he used the laquer thinner to rub the grey panels for the long scratches and some rubbing to fade out the grey panels.

GFollano

That's to bad on the kits Steve, maybe if it was possible
to design the top and bottom hulls in fiberglass from the
start it would have been more cost efficient? As you would
have had the biggest parts in a cheaper and stronger medium.
Oh well water under the bridge now, best of luck with the next
15 they look very nice from what I can see in the pics.:thumbsup

I don't think fiberglass would have been any cheaper, the top and bottom hull are pretty light, it's the big molds that are $ on this one. The other thing about fiberglass was that if there was any uneven lay up where it the top or bottom gained thickness at all it would require some grinding in those areas, with the resin it's poured just at the same thickness as the pattern, it still requires some fitting but IMO a few passes with a file on resin goes much faster than working fiberglass.

It was a tough call for sure, because of the way the top and bottom parts converge and meet up with each other the ends are pretty thin and they need to be that way. I did a test shot of a top hull in a much more rigid resin, but the issue with that was being more rigid it was harder to "pull" the hole thing together, the slightly less rigid resin is easier to work, and once the support structures like the airbrake boxes etc are added it seems pretty sturdy. Over all the speeder is a tricky one to mold and cast for sure....

BTW, sorry to hijack Rich, the whole build looks fantastic and that dash is amazing...hope it's a fun build...
thanks
mike

That's to bad on the kits Steve, maybe if it was possible
to design the top and bottom hulls in fiberglass from the
start it would have been more cost efficient? As you would
have had the biggest parts in a cheaper and stronger medium.
Oh well water under the bridge now, best of luck with the next
15 they look very nice from what I can see in the pics.:thumbsup

For acrylic paints, you can do the same with rubbing alcohol. I use a cotton ball soaked in rubbing alcohol for streaks and paneling and drops for scars/burns.

Hmm. I guess people can correct me if I"m wrong but I think that the lacquer thinner is used for the weathering all the little nicks and scrapes. After you apply a layer of paint (like a dark grey panel) You take a thin paint brush, dip it in thinner and dab the area you want a nick and the thinner will remove the paint in that little spot, It may even create some "damage" to the surrounding area of the spot making it look a little more natural.

Thinner can also be used to thin out paints so you can use it for weathering lighter panels with dirt. Dip the paint brush in the dark paint, then take the paint brush and swirl it around in a cap full of the thinner. You end up with a very liquidy "dirty" thinner that can be used to splotch all sorts of dirty goodness onto your model or into the panel lines.

It's really tough to do correctly because it's so watery. You really need to be precise and "control" where the liquid goes. It takes A LOT of patience and a lot of trial and error.

.....I think. :angel

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back