The Iron Giant - the Giant's screw

Once upon a time I was sitting at my desk watching a Tested video w/ Adam Savage on Youtube.

As soon as the video ended I got an alert on my phone. I pulled my phone out and saw it was a Paypal alert.

"Paypal: Adam Savage just sent you $186."

I briefly thought... "How did he know I was watching his video? And why is that worth $186?"

I then saw that he had ordered two of my Iron Giant Screw kits. It was just a coincidence that he was on my computer screen at the time.

For a moment it was a pretty surreal world I was living in.

Cut to three years later, I pull up Youtube.com and see Adam and Norm putting my kit together. SOOOooooo neat!

Just thought I would share that story.

So awesome! I've always loved watching his videos. Must be a cool experience to be connected in some small way.

What do you think of the finishing styles? Did you like the way Adam finished with a metallic finish to make it look "realistic", or do you think this item looks better with the two tone flat paint? I'm sure many of us are deciding which route to go as we patiently wait the 4-6 weeks.

So awesome! I've always loved watching his videos. Must be a cool experience to be connected in some small way.

What do you think of the finishing styles? Did you like the way Adam finished with a metallic finish to make it look "realistic", or do you think this item looks better with the two tone flat paint? I'm sure many of us are deciding which route to go as we patiently wait the 4-6 weeks.

Of those two I prefer the metallic one. But, after playing around with paint schemes on these, the one that feel the most like the movie screw IRL is a multi-tone flat metallic grey paint scheme.

Once upon a time I was sitting at my desk watching a Tested video w/ Adam Savage on Youtube.

As soon as the video ended I got an alert on my phone. I pulled my phone out and saw it was a Paypal alert.

I briefly thought... "How did he know I was watching his video? And why is that worth $186?"

I then saw that he had ordered two of my Iron Giant Screw kits. It was just a coincidence that he was on my computer screen at the time.

Cut to three years later, I pull up Youtube.com and see Adam and Norm putting my kit together. SOOOooooo neat!

as someone who's had adam buy something of theirs, it's a weird feeling for sure (For a few years Adam wore my Uncharted ring from shapeways, I first noticed it on a video from Tested and then realised I'd been seeing it in episodes of Mythbusters for like 6 months beforehand)

as someone who's had adam buy something of theirs, it's a weird feeling for sure (For a few years Adam wore my Uncharted ring from shapeways, I first noticed it on a video from Tested and then realised I'd been seeing it in episodes of Mythbusters for like 6 months beforehand)

That's awesome.

Very worth sharing. It is a cool story. Must be a neat feeling.

On my way to the JY :)

So I'm curious: what do people think is the feasibility of having this part machined in metal?

Well, I took a few artistic liberties, but here’s a prototype I machined from mild steel over the last couple weekends . . .
FS7_5768.jpg

That looks amazing! If you decide to do a run of these I would be VERY interested.

Thanks justice91423!
Now that I've got the work holding, and order of operations sorted out, I can refine the appearance. I'll let you know if I do a run.

FYI: This one measures about 4.200" long by 2.438 in diameter, and weighs roughly a pound and a half . . . I'd also like to do a version that's about twice that size as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, that looks great! If you could only light it up...

Thanks Funky!
The next step will be lighting it up and making it beep.

Thanks justice91423!
Now that I've got the work holding, and order of operations sorted out, I can refine the appearance. I'll let you know if I do a run.

FYI: This one measures about 4.200" long by 2.438 in diameter, and weighs roughly a pound and a half . . . I'd also like to do a version that's about twice that size as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Funky!
The next step will be lighting it up and making it beep.

If you double its size you'll be right about the same scale as my kit. We should compare notes and see if adapting it to use my lenses and electronics package would be the way to go.

I'm still on board.

I'm SOOOOo in for a steel one

Sorry I've been MIA for a couple months. Been (really) busy.
I made a run of ten screws about 2" in diameter, and 3.36" long.
These were for a whiskey aficionado group, but some of them backed out, and at present I've got three left.
These are not hollow, so adding electronics would be difficult (understatement). But, if anyone is interested let me know.
I'm asking $125 ea.

W-uH2h1_43iII_FQmI5zOfp8XExVIrNGbViO05ELJ--8n3ru5SuC57CAK-PPuZTFb8ljOdm_A&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

Glencairn whiskey glass:

0VZotERoCtILvp_So_5h7ng_ItPjmB3OvYvutvSH9v3NoGqKfPr6WUXp81ZE8VTO6dkNHYUvg&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

I still have my kit with electronics. Its a super nice kit and one day I may actually get around to putting it together.:lol:

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back