The Iron Giant - the Giant's screw

Patattack

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I just watched The Iron Giant, and was reminded of how excellent a movie it is. Remember how, when the Giant gets busted up by the train, all of his parts "activate" and come back together? I really like the design of the little screw that holds his mouth into place - it's the most identifiable prop in the movie (especially considering its significance during the epilogue), easily hand-held, and fairly unique-looking. So I'm curious: what do people think is the feasibility of having this part machined in metal?

712.jpg

...And this shows its general size, relative to a nine-year-old kid.
701.jpg

I asked a few prop guys and manufactures about doing such, but got a lukewarm reception to the idea of doing so. I would love to see this happen, you could include a optional light, beeping and rotating weight inside to create the roll effect, it would be an awesome prop. I would jump on such a prop static or with extras in a second myself.

Oh, I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to sculpt! In fact, I will probably attempt it in the coming weeks. And I do like the one at the Robot Hut, especially with the electronics. I just have a dream of owning a machined metal version - it would be so perfect for such a prop, wouldn't it?

I asked a few prop guys and manufactures about doing such, but got a lukewarm reception to the idea of doing so. I would love to see this happen, you could include a optional light, beeping and rotating weight inside to create the roll effect, it would be an awesome prop. I would jump on such a prop static or with extras in a second myself.

I like the way you think, sir!

Oh, I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to sculpt! In fact, I will probably attempt it in the coming weeks. And I do like the one at the Robot Hut, especially with the electronics. I just have a dream of owning a machined metal version - it would be so perfect for such a prop, wouldn't it?

I like the way you think, sir!
This is a thread to watch.

I was gonna try this but got bogged down with life :unsure

This is a thread to watch.

I was gonna try this but got bogged down with life :unsure

Well, don't give the thread too much credit yet - I really have no knowledge or means of making a metal one, I just wanted to see if people thought it was feasible. However, we'll see how my sculpt turns out!

Always wanted one of these. Put me down as your first customer. Price is no option! (Well, actually it is, I've just always wanted to say that.) Good luck!

I found this thread after thinking about the Iron Giant so I decided to give it a bump to see if any new blood can get in on this and make one!

Want!

I was just thinking "how cool woudl it be if some made the bolt from Iron Giant IRL?". I did a search and found this thread. Looks like this is the closest the world has come.

If anyone finds this thread and decides to manufacture these, put me down for one.

I know this is an old thread/idea but I'm new to it and think it would make a fantastic project. I've been wanting to do something with 3D printing and I thought this would be a good one

So I imported the model sheet in to Sketchup and started building. Here is where I'm at.

2wovntv.jpg

I'm hoping I can find the other shapes and only have to print these two. 3D printing is spendy.

23hkp6e.jpg

I'm basing my scale on the head of the screw being 3" wide.

I imagine I can find a 3" half sphere.
The center shaft works out to be 3/4" so that’s an easy find (copper pipe).
The cone at the top works out to be 1 7/8" tall and 1 6/8" wide. Any ideas on that one?

Obviously it does not need to match the model sheet exactly so there is wiggle room on these measurement.

I would love any thoughts or feedback anyone may have

PS. I know most of you would probably fabricate or even freehand sculpt something like this, but I am not that talented.

Nice to see you're taking this on. 'The Iron Giant' is one of my favorite flicks. Unfortunately, I'm at an utter loss at to what you might use to find something to use for the cone.

Great idea for a project! Tough to decide whether to go for a realistic metal finish or a screen-accurate cartoon look.

My thoughts exactly. Right now I am leaning towards a grey/blue metallic.

There is also possibility that I could CNC the whole thing out of aluminum. But that would be way spendy and in the end may not look that great.

Don't forget the flashing blue light.

Yep. Gotta do the flashing light and hopefully the beep. The thought of putting a little electric motor with an offset weight in it to make it roll occurred to me too. But that may not really be doable.

Yep. Gotta do the flashing light and hopefully the beep. The thought of putting a little electric motor with an offset weight in it to make it roll occurred to me too. But that may not really be doable.
Would be really cool to have all of that. Would drive the cats nuts.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back