The Iron Giant - the Giant's screw

We have some awesome casting talent on this board; maybe create a thread that asks if anyone knows how to make a translucent cast, or if there's an additive for clear resin?

Bringing this back. Everything looks incredible, the beep makes the entire thing. Would love to own one of these to go with my Howard Senft 1:1 (kinda) bust, and the rest of my collection.

Definitely keeping an eye on this thread. My dad loves The Iron Giant and I'm considering making this for his Birthday next month. I doubt I'd be able to add all the lights and sound effects though, that's too advanced for me at the moment.

The problem with that is that anywhere glue comes in contact with the part becomes clear again. So when I glue the lens in to the frame, you'll be able to see though to the edges.

Not the worst thing in the world, as long as it's done cleanly, but if I can cast the lenses with a cloudy material to begin with...

Hi Justice91423,
I'm Industrial Designer in San Francisco and very keen to make this replica too, I plan to have it machined on a CNC lathe or cast using a lost wax process from Aluminium, then bead blasted and/ or anodized. I would like to build on the design the you have already modeled in Solidworks as its the CAD package I use, and was wondering if you would be willing to share it and in return I will share back all me developments and learning from making this is metal.

How does that sound?

Hi Justice91423,
I'm Industrial Designer in San Francisco and very keen to make this replica too, I plan to have it machined on a CNC lathe or cast using a lost wax process from Aluminium, then bead blasted and/ or anodized. I would like to build on the design the you have already modeled in Solidworks as its the CAD package I use, and was wondering if you would be willing to share it and in return I will share back all me developments and learning from making this is metal.

How does that sound?

Wow I would love to see it in metal. I'd be happy to share the file, but I'd like to finish my project first. Once its done I'll post Solidworks file for anyone to use.

Update. The final version of the parts is in the hands of the printer (guy doing the printing). He is going to run them on his companies printer so we have to wait until there is some down time. Not sure when I'll be getting them, but at least I’m not paying to have them printed.

I’ll update with pics as soon as I have them

I'm surely interested !! please send me a pm on this project if funding is needed to keep it alive or to boost it to the right level.

Long time Iron Giant fan !

DJ

I got very excited seeing that video!! The Iron Giant is being released on Blu Ray soon. This needs to be sold to WB to accompany it!!

Update: A bit of a snag. When they went to print the first part the printer say the part as being 7 feet wide. So were trying to figure out whats going on with the file. Stay tuned.

On another note... I'm getting a little ahead of myself, but does anyone have any ideas on the best way to display the bolt? I was thinking about a cardboard box with postage and and a label like the one Hogarth receives the bolt in, but I don't think that will look very interesting on the shelf.

Thoughts?

Update: A bit of a snag. When they went to print the first part the printer say the part as being 7 feet wide. So were trying to figure out whats going on with the file. Stay tuned.

On another note... I'm getting a little ahead of myself, but does anyone have any ideas on the best way to display the bolt? I was thinking about a cardboard box with postage and and a label like the one Hogarth receives the bolt in, but I don't think that will look very interesting on the shelf.

Thoughts?

Update - Gave up trying to find time on my buddies company 3D printer. Instead I'm having a Shapeways print them. They are due to be shipped in 6 days. I'll have pics when they come in.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back