The Iron Giant - the Giant's screw

So I’m at the point where it’s time to design a small circuit board to control the flashing LED and beeping.

I’m very good with a soldering iron and I’m sure I can assemble anything, but I don’t know the first thing about how to actually design the board.

Any chance someone could point me in the right direction?

Here is the screw in action

Shoot Honus a PM. He's done a lot of custom PC board work, and can probably guide you to a place that can prototype it for not a lot of $$. He could also help you figure how to add that motor as well :)

Once you get everything done, don't forget to offer a run :D

BTW, there are two guys, Hyperdyne, and Voodoo FX (google them with "model kit lights" added to your search.) Both those guys know what they're doing in the world of electronics and may be able to help you or do it themselves for a price.

Glad to see this thread still active, & after seeing the clip from the end of the movie posted above, I had a neat thought. This may contribute nothing, but here goes...

Anyone remember those plastic balls that are pretty much marketed as pet toys now, but they had an off-set motor inside that caused them to wobble & roll across the floor. The movement of the screw as it rolled away instantly reminded me of one of those things. Speaking for myself, I'd love to have a lit Iron Giant screw that would roll around the floor as if it was trying to get "home".

Anyways, for the cheap price I see those balls, I figured the tech wouldn't be that pricey & it might be a cool feature.

Agreed. This would be cool. 3D printing the whole thing should probably be priced at shapeways. It shouldn't be too costly in WS&F.

Shoot Honus a PM. He's done a lot of custom PC board work, and can probably guide you to a place that can prototype it for not a lot of $$. He could also help you figure how to add that motor as well :)

Once you get everything done, don't forget to offer a run :D

I will be offering a run.

Progressing along. The model is nearly complete in Solidworks. Probably finish the last few touches today.

The electronics are finalized and sourced. And I finally figured out a good way to turn it on and off without having to open it up.

I'm wondering how to handle the lights. Specifically the lenses.

I'm planning is to cast the bolt head with cavities to then insert the lenses in to. I'd like to cast the lenses out of something translucent but not transparent.

I've seen that there is clear resin, but I'd like more of a frosted look. I'm sure I could sand the lenses but I'd prefer they be smooth.

Anyone ave any suggestions on this?

I use Edmund optics for all my prop builds:

Optical Lenses - Optical Lens - Achromatic Lenses | Edmund Optics

For a switch, you could use a magnet trip switch. Just hold a magnet up to start and stop the effects:

AMR Magnetic Switches - Murata Electronics | DigiKey

Sorry, maybe "lens" was not the best word. It doesn't actually need to focus the light. It just needs to cover/fill the cavity and lets the light shine through it. I'll be casting them.

I LOVE the magnetic switch idea. Any idea how much current they draw while off?

Been into this idea for a long time. Justice the lights look awesome, really like to see the model you did for the screw. I can't wait for these.

Progressing along. The model is nearly complete in Solidworks. Probably finish the last few touches today.

The electronics are finalized and sourced. And I finally figured out a good way to turn it on and off without having to open it up.

I'm wondering how to handle the lights. Specifically the lenses.

I'm planning is to cast the bolt head with cavities to then insert the lenses in to. I'd like to cast the lenses out of something translucent but not transparent.

I've seen that there is clear resin, but I'd like more of a frosted look. I'm sure I could sand the lenses but I'd prefer they be smooth.

Anyone ave any suggestions on this?

You could always cast in clear resin and sand the inside of the lens (that is, the part facing the LED) so that it frosts the light but still appears smooth on the portion facing outward...

You could always cast in clear resin and sand the inside of the lens (that is, the part facing the LED) so that it frosts the light but still appears smooth on the portion facing outward...

The problem with that is that anywhere glue comes in contact with the part becomes clear again. So when I glue the lens in to the frame, you'll be able to see though to the edges.

Not the worst thing in the world, as long as it's done cleanly, but if I can cast the lenses with a cloudy material to begin with...

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back