Doctor Fate (Dark Asylum)

Normally Krylon rules in my opinion. I have a Fate helmet and amulet (didn't want to hijack your thread)...and the best gold is usually Krylon Premium Foil Metallic. Also when it comes to Chrome...the Krylon Premium Metallic is the best you can get outside of SpazStix or Alsa.

However...in these pics...the Rustoleum looks freakin' great!

The Kent V Nelson Dr. Fate has a lot of really YELLOW accents. The cape, the belt do-dad, the amulet (when it's drawn. more often than not the belt do-dad is supposed to be the amulet.)

34822_518968941250_132901330_30602911_8190583_n.jpg

That's why for me, the more yellow Rustoleum works.

Great stuff man. Love it.

No worry of hijacking and as long as the posts are helpful criticism or positive to the project it is never a problem for me and I tested the foil gold aswell but it's not a ton of difference to the brilliant from what I could tell it was a bit lighter mainly IMO so looked a little less antique, The rustoleum is a few bucks more but I think the brush metal looks more authentic to me, and in the comics it doesn't look too chrome but like I said before it's all preference which means there's no wrong answer.

What should a few thousand years old pair of relics look like compared to what comes out of a comic book maybe be anyones guess.

I'm not a huge fan of the belt buckle amulet makes the charcter look more Extra Terrestrial or Star-Trek I think most people just like the good old classic look, I'd like to see more armor myself.

DOCTOR-FATE-01-01.jpg

Hello folks after a few long months of hassles in moving and getting reset caught up in the real world and finally some project focus I'm back to making progress once again first side project to tackle is Doctor Fate, note I have revised and crisped up my molds again and every one that PMed me about getting a helmet is getting the new improved version and will be completed soon.

Few small updates as well, is I'm working on the LED cast eyes not much different then a pair of iron man lenses other then they will be fit for the Fate helmet and shaped more like the comic book style glowing eyes and will be removable from the helmet as well. And a display stand as well to rest the helmet and amulet in a nice collectible manner.

Figured it would be best to upload a few pics on top of it for a better idea starting with the new version of the helmet form little smoother meaner and ground zero symmetry so for me less welding clean up and a little more room in the back also redesigned the look at the back a bit more.

fatenew.jpg

A quick look at the base/stand for the helmet display of course it will in turn be a cool looking Ankh on top of the stone amulet craddle and I'm still tinkering with the final design kind of a on the spot build as you go, but basic idea is there and how the amulet will hang cup in display is key as well.

fatenew2.jpg

And a simple idea mock up shot if any one felt a little dumb founded by my terrible description or find yourself like me were pictures are just so much better for the imagination some times.

fatenew3.jpg

Well in short that's the simple up date and progress and getting back to the grind stone feels good once again, but on a side note about my other projects Like Captain America and Wonder women even a new Ironman version will also be back in production so in the next few weeks here I'm hoping to have some final finshed stuff for you all to see and sorry for the long time lines and lack of updates hoping to make up for all the lost time regardless.

Thanks

very nice DA! Great to see some updates....and I love the base.

Did you say updated IM version :p

Thanks, it's been long over do and as some one who loves to craft and create lacking time and the ability to work was freaking torture, but yeah I have a revised Ironman in progress after the one full suit I notices a few changes were needed and the inprogress suit I've been working on will get some upgrades, but that's a never ending process and I'm sure I'll find and fix more things a 100 times after the fact.

That helmet kicks 9000 kinds of ass...and I love the base too! You're really knocking this out of the park!

Are you planning on doing a vacuform/styrene version of the briefs/ab-shield thingie in the pic above too?

I appreciate the thumbs up trying for a real fan favorite on this project but that's kind of what I hope to achieve on every project I do being a fan myself, I'll have a few more pics later on this week maybe get enough time to finish the base by this weekend.

The idea of forming the other armor parts is one I have been thinking about since I started the helmet actually, but have to just focus on the helmet display first but I'd like to do full costume parts some day when I get the time.

I can't believe how great that looks with the base. I would love to have one of those.

I can't tell what you have on the base to hold the helmet, but I think it would be cool if you used an ankh standing on the base to hold the helmet.

Sorry folks been a good while on updates I've been keeping way to busy and lacking the update time I appreciate all the comments and positive feed back I've got on this one project.

Saddly I'm still working on the details and design of the stand and LED eyes but I've finally perfected the helmet look and got shots of a helmet smooth and ready for paint the look is just pure awesome rarely do I appreciate my own work but I'm really proud of the final crisp mean look after all the stress of tweaking I'm becoming to much of a perfectionist for my own good I'm still tweaks ironman parts almost a year of the first build thank god this one is just a helmet so the focus is more limited.

greyfate.jpg

greyfate1.jpg

greyfate2.jpg

greyfate3.jpg

greyfate4.jpg

greyfate5.jpg

I can't say the helmet can get any better at this point from me and good news is a friend of mine test fit the helmet in which is a pretty good size head on that guy much larger then myself and it fit perfect so I think this is a nice universal helmet size.

Still more updates to come but I just needed to get something new up in the next few weeks I'll have enough new updates to blow up the threads but no hints yet, thanks for the interest and hope you enjoyed the update.

you sir, are a genius. Especially with the commisioned piece and paint job on all of your work. Flawless to say the least. I wish I had access to a lathe. :(

Is the last tweak photos in styrene? That is my favorite hemlet material, as I'm a clutz and they hold up well if I drop it. ;)

Oh, I forgot to ask if you plan on selling these anytime in the near future, as I'm not a Dr. Fate fan, but I am a fan of the helmet and your's has definitely raised the bar for anyone else to try their hand at one cooler than this. It crossed my mind to want to try a real Spartan version of this helmet and with the helmet gloss black and and add white horse hair. What do you think?

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back