Doctor Fate (Dark Asylum)

Sounds more like you'd need the 300 costume to be more accurate, but I would rather wear the Fate helmet much cooler and no one else will have one, I could buy the chrome just I have commission work I have fund first but if there's anything left over from those I might get the chrome supplies but I'll try annodizing the yellow over the gold see if that fairs ok.

Thanks for the kind comments and Well it's been a interesting day for Fate after a few months away from this thread it spung to life and I've got a few PM's outside this thread if anything I'm a little shocked to see doctor fate getting his well awaited come back.

There will be some more updates to this project soon regardless but I'll just leave that report for another time, but on to answering some questions.

As for the bucks which I think are just molds actually they are cut right down the center, used a japanese flush saw less then 2mm wide and took about an hour or longer to cut through, tedious but effective as the mohawk/fin and tapering face makes it super easy to hide were the helmet seems together.

As for vacuum forming I have always thought it was a cool way to build armored parts but mostly cause it is alot smoother/uniform and I really find the High impact plastics are so much better to work with then other materials and with out a injection molding machine casting with these type of materials is out at the moment, I'd recommend it to any one of interest.

Ok been awhile from the last update and it's about time for another, which is the Amulet of Anubis still a bit of a WIP at this point, and I've been running a few designs in my head and ended up with the more classic look but with some added detail, but I might end up changing the look later on as I'm just not a fan of simple designs I'm a detail freak the more the better I feel.

A few notes, this was with 2 peices 1/4 inche stryene and a good old fashion metal lathe to get all the edges and plains true and perfect, then sanded and hand filed by hand to round polish.

p00159.jpg

p00158.jpg

Few shots with the dome center "example"

p00164.jpg

p00165.jpg

There's a few different versions and I think I ended up going for a amulet that can be on a chain or used as the cape buckle, I didn't want to go for the Flavor Flav giant clock version just seemed a little ridiculous and maybe a health hazard.

Very nice. This amulet looks a LOT like the current Kent V Nelson version seen in the JSA comics recently. That one is connected to the cape, but your sculpt would be great on a necklace as well.

Really nice! Are those grooves from a potter's wheel?

That was one of the different references I used figuring the design and detail work, but lines were all done on a metal lathe I mounted a bolt in the center to clamp the plastic disc and just used the different lathe blades to craft the grooves, I imagine you could use a pottery wheel to do the same but I think it would be tougher to make everything as true as the lathe is perfectly steady when making the lines.

Here's a quick gold test mind you I did a few other color testing but these are the 2 best I could get outside expensive chroming.

painttest.jpg

Personally I like the Brass always been one of my favorite paints little less polished but a beautiful brushed metal look very few other paints have to offer and the more yellow tone I think adds the more comic book feel of Doctor Fates image.

I gotta say the Krylon as well. It looks "richer". The other reminds me of a color that, say, a toy company might use to make something look "gold".

*shrugs.*

I'll be in awe either way. :cool:thumbsup

I like the brass better. I agree with you that it seems more like the comic book version. Either way, that medallion looks great after you painted it.

I think the brass looks better in person looks just like brass tubing you get at the hobby shop and the gold seems more like a glossy wet shine almost a foil shimmer but a little more orange looking they both are nicer in person as with photos it's hard to capture the true tones different angles can change the color especially these digital cameras the metal shine does strange things to the auto lighting function.

Either way it's all about taste when it comes to the finish or down to what the costumer wants.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back