HCG ALIENS HERO M41A PULSE RIFLE - Modification Thread

The 10 hole PR got screen time as the hero gun Hicks showed to Ripley and was also the gun used by Ripley to rescue Newt.

There was only one 10 hole the rest of the hero and stunt guns were 8 hole guns.

M

The 10 hole PR got screen time as the hero gun Hicks showed to Ripley and was also the gun used by Ripley to rescue Newt.

There was only one 10 hole the rest of the hero and stunt guns were 8 hole guns.

M

At this point the 10 hole has sort of grown into an Urban Legend . All we need now to prove its real is for one of us to get into Jc's office. That should be easy:cry

That mah friend, is a different discussion. Dunno how it applies here. But, okay... The following is a pic of the Bapty gun that I was talking about; the ten holer...

bapty.jpg

i know and you can't pay me enough to try and battle that again .

I don't know about crazier seeing the kind of looks people have given me lately when I
tell them I paid 900.00 for an Aliens pulse rifle during a depression . Then then next question is why doesn't it shoot anything for that much money lol.

Wow, I never noticed that the stock on the 10 hole PR has a slight curvature where you shoulder it like most stocks do. Thats awesome. Will have to modify mine or make one like that. Can anyone else see this? or is it old news?

It's interesting seeing the HGC gun opened up. I wasn't expecting the interiors of the shroud to look like that, but it makes sense to have it setup that way.

That grenade launcher casting and internal design and setup is just pure genius Matt.

At this point the 10 hole has sort of grown into an Urban Legend . All we need now to prove its real is for one of us to get into Jc's office. That should be easy:cry

Why, no, it's all there. You'll just have to freeze-frame through the movie. But then, you'll see that the 10-hole hero Pulse Rifle had the exact same paint job as all the other Pulse Rifles.

And it wasn't OD... ;)

EDIT: I believe you are right that one eight-hole hero got a green paint job AFTER shooting of the movie, from what I remember it was the one used in Alien3, which was then reverted from all black to green. They chose green due to lack of Brown Bess or knowledge about Brown Bess (or so the legend goes). But that the 10-hole hero ever was or became green, I never heard that before. No one really knows what happened to it, and I highly doubt James Cameron suddenly decided he liked it better in OD, so it'll probably still be in all its Brown Bess glory. :D

Wow, I never noticed that the stock on the 10 hole PR has a slight curvature where you shoulder it like most stocks do. Thats awesome. Will have to modify mine or make one like that. Can anyone else see this? or is it old news?

Well now I think this really is just a distortion due to the camera lens. I mean, they probably weren't perfectly straight, but the "bow" you see there is probably due to the fact that it was on the far right of the camera lens.

Cheers!
Roman

Last edited:
Sorry I've been very sick with bronchitis, not having too much fun right now with it.
Sorry, didn't mean to push. :$

Looking at the pics, I can't tell how/where the GL and/or back of the barrel/vent assembly is fixed in the shroud.

Are any of the points highlighted by blue circles in this pic involved?
shroud1.jpg

From your comment about the Thompson always breaking when getting the shrouds off, I take it that the barrel and receiver are actually joined together?
If so, how does the barrel droop, or do you think that they're manufactured like that?

Why, no, it's all there. You'll just have to freeze-frame through the movie. But then, you'll see that the 10-hole hero Pulse Rifle had the exact same paint job as all the other Pulse Rifles.

And it wasn't OD... ;)

EDIT: I believe you are right that one eight-hole hero got a green paint job AFTER shooting of the movie, from what I remember it was the one used in Alien3, which was then reverted from all black to green. They chose green due to lack of Brown Bess or knowledge about Brown Bess (or so the legend goes). But that the 10-hole hero ever was or became green, I never heard that before. No one really knows what happened to it, and I highly doubt James Cameron suddenly decided he liked it better in OD, so it'll probably still be in all its Brown Bess glory. :D

Well now I think this really is just a distortion due to the camera lens. I mean, they probably weren't perfectly straight, but the "bow" you see there is probably due to the fact that it was on the far right of the camera lens.

Cheers!
Roman

Roman I know the rifle is in the film and it was made , my point is that as soon as the film was over nobody has ever seen it again. Meaning urban legend that some say thats the one Jc has because it was the true HERO pulse that had the counter . Only one rifle was ever made on the set that had that , I did speak to a crew member and was confirmed to my satisfaction. I will never have the discussion again over color on here last time I took a beating . But my personal feeling is that 10-Hero is OD Green and that will never change unless someone produces the rifle. Most of anything to do with that gun is pure speculation besides the stuff that has been confirmed already . Jim did keep a Alien queen and Ripley miniature and other bits so I am almost sure he has the rifle. He came up with the design of the prop so why wouldn't he keep the finest example.

Roman I know the rifle is in the film and it was made , my point is that as soon as the film was over nobody has ever seen it again. Meaning urban legend that some say thats the one Jc has because it was the true HERO pulse that had the counter . Only one rifle was ever made on the set that had that , I did speak to a crew member and was confirmed to my satisfaction. I will never have the discussion again over color on here last time I took a beating . But my personal feeling is that 10-Hero is OD Green and that will never change unless someone produces the rifle. Most of anything to do with that gun is pure speculation besides the stuff that has been confirmed already . Jim did keep a Alien queen and Ripley miniature and other bits so I am almost sure he has the rifle. He came up with the design of the prop so why wouldn't he keep the finest example.

Hey there!
True, the 10-hole hero is the one with the counter and the one used for close-ups. It probably is in James Cameron's office or something. I, too, would love to sneak into his office and take a couple of pics. Or souvenirs! :p
However, I simply can't see why you feel it's green whereas the other PR's are not. There's quite a bit of evidence against this, most importantly the shot where you see the 10-hole hero next to a bunch of other PRs.

But oh well, let's not go into that, I mean, I'm glad there are people who like the OD version. Otherwise, there'd be only 1000 HCG rifles / metal shrouds, hr hr! :D

Cheers!
Roman

Matt, Tom or anyone - can you advise on the best way to correct this section on the shroud (which incidentally is a considerable factor in making the front-end droop look worse than it could do in some cases)? I think any removal of material would be the wrong way to approach it but if I just use some kind of filler I'm thinking it would potentially get knocked off if you see what I mean.

angle.jpg

Matt I hope you don't mind me using one of your images to indicate this, if you want me to take it down just let me know.

I haven't removed my shrouds as yet but as always I'm thinking ahead! ;)

Harry

Last edited:
Hey there!
True, the 10-hole hero is the one with the counter and the one used for close-ups. It probably is in James Cameron's office or something. I, too, would love to sneak into his office and take a couple of pics. Or souvenirs! :p
However, I simply can't see why you feel it's green whereas the other PR's are not. There's quite a bit of evidence against this, most importantly the shot where you see the 10-hole hero next to a bunch of other PRs.

But oh well, let's not go into that, I mean, I'm glad there are people who like the OD version. Otherwise, there'd be only 1000 HCG rifles / metal shrouds, hr hr! :D

Cheers!
Roman
Thanks for going easy on me buddy ! Well everyone has an opinion and like I said mine is that that 10 hole and at least one other were at one point green in the film.

Matt, Tom or anyone - can you advise on the best way to correct this section on the shroud (which incidentally is a considerable factor in making the front-end droop look worse than it could do in some cases)? I think any removal of material would be the wrong way to approach it but if I just use some kind of filler I'm thinking it would potentially get knocked off if you see what I mean.

I've been staring at those too and glad you brought it up. The lines do accent and in some cases even augment the angles of a few others. Matt should know more on this than myself but, I'm pretty sure those details are correct to the original hand forged shrouds.

As for any potential fillers, I've been looking at HTS-2000 Brazing Rods as a potential solution. In theory, material could be added, built up, and then ground down to the desired profile. The reason for considering this is for the idea of simply boring out the locking lugs from the outside of the shrouds. The holes in the shrouds could then be filled back in. But, the shrouds would obviously have to be resurfaced after that.

It's just a theory, though. Please, if somebody tries this before I do, don't blame me if you wreck your gun.

I'd grind the material off to make it perpendicular, Or you can build it up with metal filled epoxy. But the hand made nature iof the shrouds shows some wide differences in that particular area, I know people like it to go all the way down to meet the central slot in the spas but on some PRs that piece only covers half that area. They were trully all different. I'm sure the armororers had no idea that over 20 years hence people were going to be inspecting them with the utmost scrutiny. They had a P.I.T.A. job they had to do for some wacky film maker so they wanted to get it done and out the door. :)

Tom drilling holes in and fixing them is crazy talk! :)

PVB, the corresponding holse in the spas and the thompson that the studs in the shroud slot into are slightly oversized, presumably to allow for filling with glue and giving room for excess.

As such the holes are oversized enough in either direction to allow the unit to droop if not held properly during the crucial curing phase of the gluing operation.

And thus I have completely sorted the infamous barrel droop... case closed...LOL

M

PVB, the corresponding holse in the spas and the thompson that the studs in the shroud slot into are slightly oversized, presumably to allow for filling with glue and giving room for excess.

As such the holes are oversized enough in either direction to allow the unit to droop if not held properly during the crucial curing phase of the gluing operation.

And thus I have completely sorted the infamous barrel droop... case closed...LOL

M
Okay, so at least we know that heating/moving/cooling could work to correct the droop. :)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back