HCG ALIENS HERO M41A PULSE RIFLE - Modification Thread

Gary the shrouds are glued and there are "lugs" in severasl places the protrude into the resin... without knowing where those are you will have a very hard time getting it apart... and right now I am the only one who knows where those are!

Del You are going to have to get a $200 tax stamp on both the shotgun and the thompson to make those SBR's, consult with me on how to attach the launcher to the thompson before putting rounds through it.... a 6 inch 12 gauge kicks like a mule... you need all the beef there you can get.

M

Just wanted to give credit where credit is due. It was the greenmachine who recommended using a hammer. I would have never thought of that, but it worked great!

Damn, glad to see it worked out so well for you :thumbsup

Gotta say I am really envious because that piece looks the bees knees and it will be November earliest before I can even begin weathering mine :lol

The two tone look with the top and base coat really sells this as a well used piece which has seen plenty of action. I've seen enough older military gear/containers which have a similar look and paint wear.

Replica? This sort of finish makes me want to believe this is a real used piece. Lookin forward to updates!

- TGM

Del You are going to have to get a $200 tax stamp on both the shotgun and the thompson to make those SBR's, consult with me on how to attach the launcher to the thompson before putting rounds through it.... a 6 inch 12 gauge kicks like a mule... you need all the beef there you can get.

M

I can get the M1 or M1C (lightweight) locally with the 16.5" barrel without issue. But the M1 SBR (which has the correct barrel) with 10.5" barrel requires a class 3 dealer. I am checking to see if I can purchase the barrel separately. The SBR tax is probably why the M1 SBR costs so much more than the other versions. I have the ATF Form 4 (5320.4) as required for the weapon. No reason to apply and pay the tax until I am sure that I will do this project.

Thanks for posting the info in the event someone else is considering doing the same. Anyone else thinking about doing this to the PR should review the NFA. National Firearms Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's times like this that I wish I were American.:lol
I am just happy mine made it through customs. According to the tracking record it should be getting here in the next day or so.:)

Yes if you were going to SBR the Thompson I would actualy get the 16 inch and cut it down... otherwise the 10.5 inch barrel will have to be extended, and though this would be 100% screen accurate as this is what they did to the thompsons in the film, cutting down the 16 " to 12" is easier.
I work at a class 3 dealer class 2 Mfg so I know about this kinda stuff. ;)

M

I wouldn't follow any of the original props weathering as screen accurate based on what they look like today, most have been repainted.

I would base the weathering on screen caps with good lighting. Notice how the moving parts (black) are weathered, whilst the shroud is fairly clean. If anything it is the dents in the shroud that add to the used look.

Well, I am sure some people will think I have overdone it already but THIS is why I paid $900 for the metal shrouds. Whoever it was that suggested using a hammer to weather the gun was exactly on the money. I don't like using sandpaper because I don't think it looks natural and while I generally like the scrape weather with an xacto, that just didn't look good on this... but laying the hammer on its side and rubbing it all over, harshly and roughly... oh yeah!!!! That was the ticket!

Something interesting to note. There are two distinctive layers of paint, a firs that is adhered to the raw metal, which does not come off easily, and a second which is adhered to the first and flakes away readily. I don't know how screen accurate that is, but it adds another layer of depth to the piece.

I have to say, I have been very apprehensive about this and not entirely happy with my initial weathering with the xacto, and I know some of you will think I have completely ruined this piece, but I couldn't be happier with the way it is weathering.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Art that looks freakin awesome!! Definitely better than sandpaper.

Yes if you were going to SBR the Thompson I would actualy get the 16 inch and cut it down... otherwise the 10.5 inch barrel will have to be extended, and though this would be 100% screen accurate as this is what they did to the thompsons in the film, cutting down the 16 " to 12" is easier.
I work at a class 3 dealer class 2 Mfg so I know about this kinda stuff. ;)

M

So you don't think the barrel taper on the 16.5" would look weird? When I measure from the breech block to barrel tip, it's 10.5". I guess a couple inches would not make that much difference. I'm just concerned with the barrel taper interfering with the barrel shield collar at the end of the barrel.

P.S. You have my address, send me a TM1C please... :love

I think the shotgun would have to go under the AOW (all other weapons) status rather than SBR. Also the 10.5 barrel is not profiled the same as the prop. The taper starts closer to the chamber than the prop. The 16.5 profile starts even further from the chamber than the prop so it would be the best one to have. Just have to have the 16.5 barrel cut and reprofiled.
You could get the Thompson pistol if you can live without the PR stock. That would be a no no on the pistol. Actually i'm not sure if the 870 mounted to the pistol would be considered and pistol grip so you might have to SBR the pistol also no matter what.

Decisions, decisions.

I don't think that taper will fit as is. I think it will need to be reprofiled. Hard for me to say. I will only get my PR next month so i don't have one in hand.

Last time I tried to modify firearm quality steel, that stuff was hard as a rock! The machinist better have some good gear. But as Matt stated, getting the TM1 or TM1C is easy (no class 3 required) and much cheaper (initially).

OK, I just found the 10.5" barrel and Matt is correct. It's about 1.5-2" too short. 16.5" it is then... My dealer has them TM1C for $939... Time to place an order (unless someone else has a better deal).

So you are going to leave it 16.5"? If you cut it below 16" it will have to be SBR'd no matter what. I don't understand why the factory SBR is so much more. At that point you might as well get the pistol and have it SBR'd. It's cheaper an the only diff is the stock. If you SBR it then it doensn't matter you can put a stock on it again.

OK, I just found the 10.5" barrel and Matt is correct. It's about 1.5-2" too short. 16.5" it is then... My dealer has them TM1C for $939... Time to place an order (unless someone else has a better deal).

Actually, the 10.5" barrel is the one they used on the hero PR's. They made it longer with some sort of barrel extension. Here's a pic of a barrel extension that the propstore once owned:
aliens-gripbarrell3.jpg

And here's a pic of the barrel of the 10-hole hero:
bapty_front_resize.jpg

Cheers!
Roman

Thanks Roman, i was thinking the barrel came off the 1927a5. It has a 13" barrel. Your pic ends that idea. I am going to guess the original barrels were tapered differently than the newer offerings.

Its about damn time people started getting serious about live fire PR's(y)thumbsup Still trying to think up a California legal Thompson solution but its the mag release thats giving me a headache.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back