HCG ALIENS HERO M41A PULSE RIFLE - Modification Thread

Well, I am sure some people will think I have overdone it already but THIS is why I paid $900 for the metal shrouds. Whoever it was that suggested using a hammer to weather the gun was exactly on the money. I don't like using sandpaper because I don't think it looks natural and while I generally like the scrape weather with an xacto, that just didn't look good on this... but laying the hammer on its side and rubbing it all over, harshly and roughly... oh yeah!!!! That was the ticket!

Something interesting to note. There are two distinctive layers of paint, a firs that is adhered to the raw metal, which does not come off easily, and a second which is adhered to the first and flakes away readily. I don't know how screen accurate that is, but it adds another layer of depth to the piece.

I have to say, I have been very apprehensive about this and not entirely happy with my initial weathering with the xacto, and I know some of you will think I have completely ruined this piece, but I couldn't be happier with the way it is weathering.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I actually like that a lot! Looks really beaten in and the paint wear looks realistic. Could have fooled me into thinking it was a screen used hero shroud. (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

Art, that looks fantastic. I'm not a huge fan of sandpaper myself. What you've got there is very realistic looking weathering. Looking forward to seeing what else you're going to do with 'er. :thumbsup

My philosophy on weathering is that less is more but I think you have struck a nice balance here. And I really like how this hammer technique is working out. I may even do this to mine when it arrives. It is really starting to look like a Pulse Rifle now, beaten and worn.:lol
Looks great!:thumbsup

Great thread, Art - thanks for starting it. If I ever get a superior replacement from HCG, I'll likely be following your foot steps. :)

Or put an Airsoft thompson, 870, & SPAS cage under the shroud - in like 10 years, when my kids are out of the house and can afford to, lol.

To be honest, I've held an SDS PR and that thing would damage my lower back more than it already is if I picked it up regularly. And putting an Airsoft in place of the real thing would only shave about 4 lbs off the end result (7 lbs vs. 11 lbs, if I'm not mistaken). How heavy would an Airsoft Thompson, real 870 & SPAS 12 cage, and the HCG shroud make the PR?

D

Try rubbing metal parts with the head of a hammer. If they have cut outs and such like the stock and vent it with rub the edges and lips unevenly and wear them. Also any wear from "hammering" on the head will keep it from being overly regular. If parts have really crisp and/or sharp edges it can also round them down some.

- TGM

Just wanted to give credit where credit is due. It was the greenmachine who recommended using a hammer. I would have never thought of that, but it worked great!

Or put an Airsoft thompson, 870, & SPAS cage under the shroud - in like 10 years, when my kids are out of the house and can afford to, lol.

I would ultimately like a deactivated real 870 in the PR, but for now, I am going to get a cast 870 from Mat to put inside an original SPAS Cage. I am still struggling on what to do for the Thompson.

looking good!

Will follow this thread for shroud removal!

My PR seems to be at a neighbours waiting for me to pick it up...now to explain what it is now doubt!

Sorry guys I'm really swamped I'll try and get a tutorial up as soon as possible.

I already took the shrouds off one and installed them on an airsoft but I kind of 'jumped the gun' :lol a bit and didnt document the process.

M

I tried taking my shroud off with no luck. Got tall the screws and plates off and pried the crap out of the seems but the shroud didn't budge. The small screws and plates are glued on. Should I put it in the oven on 125 for a few min to get the glue loose? :confused

Wow! You certainly don't do anything halfway Art! :thumbsup

It definitely has the look of a screen used rifle now! But are you going to leave the sling as is? The strap itself looks pretty new and shiny.

I actually like the colour of the "base coat" more (as opposed to the "top coat"); the base looks a little more matte in appearance than the outer coat.

Man did you ever beat the crap outta that rifle! Although I would want a screen accurate PR, I don't think I could bring myself to going that far! :lol

(PS- not saying you went "too far" here- just that it take some major stones to go to that level of weathering!)

Kevin

Last edited:
Yeah, the strap (and everything else) still need to be weathered. The Thompson and Grenade launcher are going to be scrapped entirely, so this is just a first pass.

Just thought I would chime in.. I found a place locally that sells the Thompson M1C for under $1000. And I can get used 870s for under $200. So looks like I can get everything except the SPAS cages. I'm still researching that one.

If I get this project approved by "Mom", I'll move forward with installing a real semi-auto Thompson and 870 into the metal shrouds from the HCG.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back