HCG ALIENS HERO M41A PULSE RIFLE - Modification Thread

Alright, before I get to talking about what I want to change, here is one more shot of the gun on a white background with the lighting set to LOOSELY replicate that on the original 8 hole hero. I apologize in advance for the dirty background... that is why I started off with the blue. This image has not been color corrected in any way. I did a slight rotate (so it was straight), a crop, scaled it down and added in the original PR pic. Other than that, it is how it came off the camera.

attachment.php

Here is my first proposed mod. Again, I am REALLY hoping some of the big Aliens guys can pop in and verify my ideas (Harry, Tom, Matt, Willie, I am looking at you!)

I want to first say that there is only so much that can be done and at some point you have to stop. I realize that these mods are going to be a series of compromises. My goal here is NOT to make a perfect PR, because it just isn't going to happen, but instead to do the best I can with what we have from HCG (which I think is an amazing base). This is in NO way a detractor from what HCG is offering and I hope no one takes my mod as an indicator that HCG put out a poor product. I think the product is great, but think us RPF members can take it even a step further.

OK, so when I look at the stock of the PR, the first thing that jumps out at me is the bottom of the stock, the butt presses into your shoulder. To me, it seems much thicker than what we see on the movie stocks. While it SEEMS to me that all the stocks from the movie are thinner, maybe there is a thicker version, but I tend to think that HCG made this part thicker for durability sake (as we know at least one of the original PR's stock is bent in this area). Since I don't plan to take this into any actual battles, durability isn't my primary concern and I am willing to sacrifice the durability and strength of the stock in an effort to make it look more like what I think it should.

There are two things I plan to do to the stock. First, I want to take a metal file to ALL the edges and round them slightly, and this has to be slight because the metal isn't thick enough to endure heavy filing. I am most interested in taking down the top two back corners a bit.

Second, as mentioned above, I want to make the bottom of the stock thinner.

After comparing this to a number of original photos, I am somewhat modeling my stock after the Aliens 3 rifle stock owned by Propstore, primarily because I have a good photo of it from Comic Con 2009 and because it is my understanding that while the Aliens 3 shell is new for Aliens 3, the guts of the gun, including the stock are original from Aliens.

In my opinion, the overall shape of the metal box below the stock is off, but there is nothing I can do about that without essentially creating a whole new stock, so I am just going to accept it for what it is and leave it alone.

The stock on the HCG Pulse Rifle is ~ 14.5mm. After comparing it to the Aliens 3 stock, I believe it should be ~ 9.1mm. My plan is to simply to mark it off, go in with a dremel and shave ~ 5.4mm off each side and then file as needed.

I am throwing this out here first to get thoughts and opinions to see what everyone thinks before my gun goes under the knife.

Please see the photos below and give me your thoughts.

attachment.php

Why not keep the rounded inner edge of the Propstore stock while you're at it? Shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Oh.. and Matt... if you see this... just a reminder... it would be really nice if you could tell us what kind of glue holds the SPAS cage in place if you noticed when you took it apart.

Good call on rounding that inner corner. Some of the rounding comes from the fact that the angle from the bottom of the box to the side is beveled more and I can't do that without filing through the metal, but I can simulate it as much as possible.

Going on the A3 rifle stock you're using as a reference, it looks as if not only do you need to remove the thickness of the stock at the butt, but a small cut needs to be done upwards as well. Please see the alteration I've done to your graphic for what I mean. (And please forgive the crudeness of the photoshop job ;) ).

Now I really don't know in millimetres how much you would need to cut off in the direction I propose- however I used the "holes" in the PR stock as a reference for where I put the yellow line.

Kevin

Going on the A3 rifle stock you're using as a reference, it looks as if not only do you need to remove the thickness of the stock at the butt, but a small cut needs to be done upwards as well. Please see the alteration I've done to your graphic for what I mean. (And please forgive the crudeness of the photoshop job ;) ).

Kevin

Kevin, you are absolutely right. However, there is a floorplate inside that area that would have to be taken out and rewelded in place and that is probably going further than I am willing to modify the piece. If I were going to do any welding, I would probably just have a new stock formed all together.

Thanks for this thread. Hopefully my rifle will be at home when I get back. I look forward to following this thread to see what suggestions and results that people come up with.

any higher rez pics of that hero gun?

i have a mim pr that i still need to finish, not sure how accurate it is as im not that "up" on pulse rifles.

thanks

-z

What mods? I see some pics of a PR but i don't see any fixes.

The mods he is going to be making to his Pulse Rifle as stated in the Subject of the Thread. Those are the mods I'm talking about. Also, he is not talking about Fixes, he is talking about Modifications, which are not the same thing. There are no fixes as of yet and no one said there were.

The mods he is going to be making to his Pulse Rifle as stated in the Subject of the Thread. Those are the mods I'm talking about. Also, he is not talking about Fixes, he is talking about Modifications, which are not the same thing. There are no fixes as of yet and no one said there were.

Ya my bust. I read the title as something else.

I plan to add the protruding large headed hex bolt screw into the bottom of my grip, however, I can't tell if the edges of the head are smooth or knurled. Can anyone with a high-res file of the hero gun confirm that?

I wouldn't get too happy with cutting the stock. you'll just weaken it and then end up with a "bent stock" gun. ;-)

Yeah...your photoshopped mod looks a little too thin. I'd err on the side of leaving more material. After all, you can always cut more, but you can't put it back on. And I'd definitely aim to get the rounded inner corner. That detail really leaps out, and without it your stock will look too blocky.

Thanks for the advice guys! Maybe I will start with shaving it back from 14.5mm to 12mm, see how it looks and then go from there, and I will definitely try to incorporate the curve in the corner as best I can!

The real thompson grip bolt was a slotted screw, it's an odd proprietary thread so it's unlikely they used a hex bolt, unless they re tapped it.

The glue they used looks like some kind of epoxie or maybe an industrial hot melt.
The resin they used is polyester not urethane like most of us use. It's very hard... if I can figure out WTF I did with my heat gun I'll test the thermo reactivity of the glue and resin.

Also The alloy in the shrouds is pretty soft yet strong, it mills like butter, I think someone handy with a die grinder should have good luck modding the shrouds to fit.

M

The real thompson grip bolt was a slotted screw, it's an odd proprietary thread so it's unlikely they used a hex bolt, unless they re tapped it.

Huh? I'd have never guessed that judging by the height of the wall on the head. You don't think it's the original Thompson screw do you? One of those would be fairly easy to get. I've just never seen a rounded slothead with walls that high. I don't care how long the bolt is, as i only need to drill a small hole into the molded in screw and glue the new real one on top of it (after recessing just a smidge).

Fingers crossed that the glue is heat reactive. My barrel is straight, but I wouldn't mind pushing my grenade launcher up a degree or two....of course eventually replacing it with a real SPAS cage would rock.

Thanks, Matt!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back