ROTJ - Rebel Limpet Mine (Used in Endor Bunker)

Falk

Does anyone know what was used for the limpet mine the Rebels placed alll around the Imperial deflector shield generator bunker in "Return of the Jedi"?

y...t=ROTJMIne.jpg
ROTJ%20Mine

EDIT: Weird, picture does not show up... Here is the Photobucket link: http://s778.photobucket.com/albums/yy62/Fulk_Nerra/ROTJ Mine/?action=view&current=ROTJMIne.jpg

I see the often used photomultiplier dynode's plate on the side, but I have no idea as far as the rest is concerned... Just wondering if anyone here knows better. Thanks for any help.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Would love to know myself. Would be a great prop to have as I have a good handfull of these dynodes lying around waiting for a purpose...

I remember seeing this prop in someones collection here, but never got around to asking them. I hope they pop in and give us some insight on the prop.

great piece to replicate.

Yeah right - when I saw exactly this item for the very first time (back in 1983, on the big screen), there was a click in my head and I wanted to collect/build props.

Although it literally started with this, I was never able to identify it. My first thought was the body comes from a car's ignition coil, but nah.

Hope to find out at last,

Cheers!
Falk

Looks like an older industrial sprinkler system (fire supression). The building I work in has a few similar looking ones, throughout the building (particularly the older offices, which haven't been renovated in a while).

When I see one, I'll try to snap a pic with my cellphone, but I have no idea what to do with it then.

-Fred

there are some smoke detectors in the poultry science building at the U of Arkansas that look familar to these mines. I willl try to snap a photo.

On second thought, they were probably smoke detectors and not sprinklers.

But, I took a walk to where they were and it looks like they were replaced, when the fire control center was upgraded, a few months ago.

The closest I've seen on the web, so far, is an edwards 2420 ionization smoke detector. The ones we had in the building were closer to the ROTJ prop, though. But, it's a direction worth pursuing, for those who are interested.

-Fred

I think Rayra did one, I may be wrong. I don't think he's posted for quite a while though.

Yes, Rayra built one himself that was pretty accurate looking. At the time, I think it also generated discussion as to what real world item may have been the base. Nothing definitive was concluded.

On second thought, they were probably smoke detectors and not sprinklers.

Fred, thanks for the effort.

But just because the mine hangs from the ceiling in this particular scene, it does not necessarily mean the donor is supposed to do as well :)

I checked dozens (or more likely hundreds) of different smoke detector models, and none looks even close to the prop... There were several which were shaped interesting enough to pass as some alternate type of grenade or mine in the SW universe though, like this specimen.

The question is: Is the prop's corpus one single found part or has it been built with parts from several sources?

And what about that shaft (?) protruding from the top end's center - it looks like it originally belongs to the cylindrical part of the body...

Hmm...

I also think it's some sort of smoke detector. We have some kinda similair looking smoke detector in our locker room and cafeteria at work.
They kinda look like this

10t.jpg

They're not the same (obviously), but I think were looking in the right direction.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back