Domed tip on Luke's ANH droid caller

kurtyboy

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Okay, I'm gearing up to finish my lifesize Luke ANH display. I'd really like to add this detail to the droid caller.

Was it ever identified positively? Surely its a found part. If it hasn't been identified then what's out there which would make a second best substitute for the real thing?

Thanks guys :)

I used a section of an ice cream scoop filed down until the diameter fit the top:

caller1.jpg

caller2.jpg

Mark

Well that's one I would never have thought of. :lol

Looks pretty good though.

<div class='quotetop'>(Bradleyfett @ Jun 30 2006, 04:14 PM) [snapback]1271509[/snapback]</div>
I used a section of an ice cream scoop filed down until the diameter fit the top:

Mark
[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>(kurtyboy @ Jun 30 2006, 04:17 PM) [snapback]1271513[/snapback]</div>
Well that's one I would never have thought of. :lol

Looks pretty good though.

<div class='quotetop'>(Bradleyfett @ Jun 30 2006, 04:14 PM) [snapback]1271509[/snapback]

Mark
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

Unofrtunatly, I can't remember which size I used- there are several sizes available. Just remember that the dome is more pronounced than you migh think- in fact, mine could stand to be a little taller (using a section of a smaller diameter scoop). Certainly use a diameter smaller than the ones folks were using to make themal detonators a few years ago.

Mark

<div class='quotetop'>(Macklin @ Jun 30 2006, 08:06 PM) [snapback]1271693[/snapback]</div>
If I'm not mistaken, the original had a small hole in the top. 1/8" or 5/16", I think.
[/b]

I read that too, but I can't find any evidence of it by watching the movie on DVD- I can't see a hole in Luke's caller or the Jawas's caller (the other one with the domed top). I'd love to be able to put the hole in mine though, as I have a buzzer in mine that needs a was for more sound to get out.

Mark

<div class='quotetop'>(Darthmagpie @ Jul 1 2006, 01:36 PM) [snapback]1272055[/snapback]</div>
Wasn't there some speculation that it was a bell, "ring bell for service" style, top?
[/b]

That sounds like as good a guess as anything- the shape is so simple, it could be a lot of things. I don't think we'll ever know for sure.

As far as the hole issue goes- I wonder if lonepigeon/ Chris Trevas could chime in on this one- I'd like to know if he has some picture reference of the hole in the tip.

Mark

I've posted a couple pics of the hole in the past, but I don't have them handy.
I will have to look for them and likely rescan one of them.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back