River Song's book from Doctor Who

Started this project in June and finally finished it today just in time for my little sister's birthday. Super excited! Didn't want to deal with leather, so I used a blue linen. Foam blocks and a piece of chipboard for the covers.
293381_2150045545678_1082520114_32055544_1588078_n.jpg

Did you take any making of pictures of this? I would love a good tutorial of how you made this. It looks marvelous!

I was so happy to see the book looking brand new finally, because it proved that I'm on the right track with mine and approximated the thickness of the book block pre-weathering pretty well actually.

Hi this is my first post and I joined because of this thread.

Im hoping to make a version of the book. I may try a form of patchwork or quilting at some stage and have some nice blue velvet coming for that reason.

Iv got the template and the cardboard so just need to sit down and do the cover. My first will be a slip cover and go from there.

I found some decent tutorials about book binding for hard back books on the net, so hope and one point in time to make my own brand new version.

I totally love all your versions.

I bought all the materials at either Joann's or Michael's. The fabric was the hardest to find, because I had a very specific idea in mind for the kind of fabric i wanted (and the color had to be right, clearly).

Here's my fabric prototype. It's made by applique or sewing on patches onto a base material. It's a slip cover for a small A6 notebook. It's all hand sewn, in material I had laying about. I want to perfect the technique before I commit myself to doing it in the velvet type material I have.

041-2.jpg

040-1.jpg

039-1.jpg

Proto-type two, is A5 size and fits over a 2012 diary:

006-8.jpg

With inside graffiti
010-9.jpg

Im now ready to try it out on the blue moc velvet I have. Hopefully it will turn out well.

I was so happy to see the book looking brand new finally, because it proved that I'm on the right track with mine and approximated the thickness of the book block pre-weathering pretty well actually.

How is your replica coming along? Last I read you were still trying to hammer out a viable solution for the cover...

I've got the cover figured out, it's just a pain (literally) to make each one. Was hoping to have the prototype done tomorrow, but the week got away from me. I've got to finish up some leather work for another member, then I can finish my second cover and spine board tomorrow. If I'm feeling up to it I might also mold the spine tomorrow. Depends how the day is going. With this first one there's always the chance that the method I've devised will be all wrong and it won't turn out right. I'm hoping that's not the case. But it's not the end of the world if I have to chuck a spine board.

These are awesome, by far some of the better versions I've seen. I good friend of mine works with leather and I've asked him to do The Tardis for my Kindle Keyboard. I will post up photos of it in a bit. Let me know what you think.

Thanks. This one was slightly trickier as the only brown leather I could find in the right size was quite thick, plus with the studs.
Here's a family pick!
Rich

View attachment 57551

Bit of a bump here. I finally finished my River book which I was giving to my wife for Christmas.

Had some issues with the cover, my original plan and backup failed so I had to resort to plan C which turned out better. Faux leather painted in various shades of blue to build it up. It's not perfect as the cardboard underneath took some damage during my original construction phase.

Pages are stained with coffee. Images are a mix of hand drawn and printed images which have been further worked into with pencil/pen/ink. Pretty much all the diary entries are hand written by myself using made up on the fly text (entries make sense though and pertain to the Who universe). There are 200 pages in all.

(sorry for the watermark I pulled these from my blog).

26-12-11.jpg

26-12-11-b.jpg

26-12-11-c.jpg

26-12-11-d.jpg

26-12-11-e.jpg

These are really nice, I work with leather and made a Tardis Leather Cover for my Kindle. I'm currently working on the Book of Angels and Seal of Rassilon Book.

river_song_diary_kindle_cover_by_joevleather-d4dttjs.jpg

Some really nice journals here! I'm doing another project, and realized the technique applied to this project. Here's mine:

6920567346_6c6470d1d4_o.jpg

I forgot about this thread. I already posted over in the junkyard, but I guess I should share over here, too. Here's my prototype book I just finished up.

DSC02723.jpg

Looks good, Risu! Did you use lambskin? I went with calf leather. I was just testing the technique, but I like the texture of calves leather more than lambskin. I took some photos pre-weathering with my camera phone.

6921615782_aa744348d7_o.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back