My Conan swords - [more new swords]

... Update

WOW!, I just spent 5 hours at the shop helping cut some steel. We finished programming the Left Grind, the Right Grind, then the Fuller and finished one side of a blade (no inscription yet). Then we kept the setup and started cutting the other 2 blanks... the fuller first, then the left side. We had a few problems...breaking some insert bits, the computer losing the origin.... but we finally got it rolling. The inscription is going to take some baby-sitting on the machine..so I'll do that in a 2 weeks. Sorry I didn't get any pictures, the wife had it with her when she took the girls to get hair cuts and feathers in their hair. I'll definitely take it next time. GETTING CLOSE!!

Re: My Conan swords

this is SOOOO amazing I have always been in love with the fathers sword. would kill to own one. Keep up the good work brother!!!!!

Man, those swords are so AWESOME!!!! These are my two most favorite swords in movie history. Man, you nailed it and nailed it good!!!! :cool

Spent some time at the shop finally. Great news!.... they hired a helper and my work is at the top of the queue! I did snap a pic with my phone.... here we are cutting an edge.

f1.jpg

We should be cutting the inscriptions this week. Let's hope!!

Need Some Feedback...

Things didn't go too well at the shop on Saturday... I just keep getting pushed to the bottom of work queue....and it's taking the fun out of the project. The only reason I'm using this shop is because I wanted the inscription milled in....but I'm thinking he'll never get to it. I've contacted over a dozen other shops and they can't/won't do it either.

So now I'm thinking about doing the blades myself and surface etching the inscription. ... getting this project back on track and stop messing around.

I'd like to hear from some interested collectors....

Does a surface etched sword that would be available early summer interest anybody?

Thanks!!

Re: Need Some Feedback...

Does a surface etched sword that would be available early summer interest anybody?

Thanks!!
Personally, I'd prefer the milled inscription with a pushed-back finish date; however, the surface-etching wouldn't be a deal-breaker. It all depends on YOUR degree of patience for the process I guess.

(Cuz in case you hadn't noticed, folks around here are generally OK with "waiting on excellence") ;)

Actually Albion is selling them again. They reacquired the rights to sell the swords from the old Conan movies when they secured them for the new upcoming Conan movie.

However if you mean by outsourcing their work that you already know they are selling them again but are under the assumption that they are using a different company to make them, I know nothing about that. I just assumed that they are the ones making them, like before. If you heard different, could you provide a link? I'd be interested in reading up on that.

Anywho, just to be clear, Marto is not making them for Albion. Marto has a seperate contract to produce wall hanger versions using stainless steel blades.

I try and stay up on Albion and talk with them at GenCon every year. They have sourced out the swords and are not up to the quality of the limited edition verisons they used to produce. I will look into it further and try to post a link here, unable to do so since I am at work behind a firewall.

Re: Need Some Feedback...

Things didn't go too well at the shop on Saturday... I just keep getting pushed to the bottom of work queue....and it's taking the fun out of the project. The only reason I'm using this shop is because I wanted the inscription milled in....but I'm thinking he'll never get to it. I've contacted over a dozen other shops and they can't/won't do it either.

So now I'm thinking about doing the blades myself and surface etching the inscription. ... getting this project back on track and stop messing around.

Thanks!!

I have seen both and the ones with the deeper milled etchings look more authentic than the surface etchings which always appear to be stenciled on.

I am confused though as to why this shop owner doesnt want to do his job and complete what you have paid him for in the first place.

He's an old guy and can't say no to bigger customers, what can you do? I did give him a little grief...even offered more money....but he didn't want it. So he's not all bad. He said that he will train me to run the mill for the inscriptions...and we should be good to go. So hopefully that will happen this weekend. I'll keep you posted.

We'll have something this summer. By Crom!

The Gods have shown a new path.:lol

I finally parted ways with the shop I've been working with. I decided to get some new equipment for my shop... so I'll be hand grinding the blades and getting the inscriptions milled by a new shop! Man it feels good to going again!

I spent some time today working on the blades from the first shop (they were only partly done).. I'll finish grinding them ...then I'll get the inscriptions done. This is going to be cool!!

f2.jpg

Just found this thread. Awesome work and dedication to detail. Still one of my favorite hard core fantasy movies.

One of the best things about the artists that come to this forum is how much effort they put into learning a skill.

A lot of stuff I like, needs metalwork/blacksmithing and that has led me to some neat learning experiences. The wife won't let me put a smithy in our backyard though.

Keep posting the sword details (and I do bet they are quite heavy as they should be).

Cheers

Sebastian

Yeah, these are heavy compared to historical swords. There's about 4 lbs of bronze and 4 lbs of steel (the same as the original movie props).

The small piece at the end of the tang will be threaded and screwed into the pommel.

Thanks for the support Sebastian! I just got my new grinder a few days ago!! WHOO HOO!

I'll finish cutting some more blanks, then I'll start on the grinding. I'm going to move it outside the garage until I get a decent dust collector set up.

Update...

I finally found a shop that can do the inscription for the sword. They have a large enough 3-axis mill AND they know how to use it with CAM software (surprising how few small shops I talked to lacked that knowledge).

So here's the latest plan:
1. I'm still the low guy on the work list because my job is a small run, but we've figured out a process between the two of us to make it a straight forward job.

2. I'm waiting on a quote from him....should have it in a couple weeks. Then I'll be able to make the final plans.

I'm very confident we're going to get this first run done in a month or two.

I'll post more info as I get it.

oh sweet! great work man. I make swords as one of my hobbies/side jobs.. good to see others making nice pieces!

Still using 5160? it looks like it. One of favorites. Either that or 6150. But even annealed, they're a pain on the tooling.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back