eFX TIE fighter at SDCC

Did efx mention anything about the TIE Interceptor? I would love to get that one but would settle for the TIE if they decide not to do the TIE/i

I love all the background info about this project. Extremely informative.:cool

My understanding Its next after the TIE Fighter release. Everything is still a go as far as Im told. Will let you know more when I hear back from EFX.

Steve

I took this photo at the Star Wars exhibition that was recently in my town. Hope this helps with a few issues/discussions you guys are talking about...
IMG_0346.JPG

Notice how dark the paint is / and how thick the rim around the window is compared to the EFX?

Mic... would the paint fade if the model is kept out of natural light?

Hey Steve,

Is there even a rough ETA? 2011, 2012?
After seeing it this time last year at SDCC 2009, I would have bet money we'd all own it by now...

The models have probably been in all sorts of light, with no real thought about color preservation for longer than a lot of members here have been alive. You can see where the colors of the paint have sometimes dramatically shifted on the models, when a piece has fallen off, exposing the preserved paint (or primer) beneath. They're all currently under fluorescents, day in/day out. No idea if there are UV considerations in place now?

The models have probably been in all sorts of light, with no real thought about color preservation for longer than a lot of members here have been alive. You can see where the colors of the paint have sometimes dramatically shifted on the models, when a piece has fallen off, exposing the preserved paint (or primer) beneath. They're all currently under fluorescents, day in/day out. No idea if there are UV considerations in place now?

I seriously doubt it. These models while I'm sure the handlers are "careful" go through a lot of hands on their tours and as we've seen take a decent amount of damage along the way... and over the years.

All that being said - while I'm sure there is "some" degradation in the color, its not like they've been in the desert sun bleaching either. They should still be "close"... especially if you look at he undersides that are almost perpetually in the "shade" of the model itself.

Jedi Dade

Gene can address this better than I, but I suspect that hatch cover of Richard's spent the better part of the last thirty-five years crated and in storage.

FWIW, I've got an old MPC Vader TIE I originally painted in `78 using Testors spray enamels. A couple years ago I performed some minor touch-ups using the same stuff, and the fresh paint matched the original finish perfectly (or perfectly enough to my nit-picky eyes).

Any color degradation in his case is likely to be so minimal as to be irrelevant.

Hey I was only teasing about 33yr old paint. Gene & EFX have gone above and beyond in trying to match the paint.

While it is always possible that the paint has lost some of its luster over the years it would be practically impossible to figure out the amount of degradation. You would have to take paint swatch and sample it over a number of Tie fighter models to see if there was any variation. Anyone fancy a trip to the archives? :lol

I'm sorry Gene but the colour is way off because you've gone and coloured matched 33yr old dirty and UV faded paint. :lol.....

Do you folks ever take into consideration that after thirty years the paint may have faded?

Gene can address this better than I, but I suspect that hatch cover of Richard's spent the better part of the last thirty-five years crated and in storage............

Sorry for the radio silence. Been trying to buy a house this summer and that's been wreaking havoc with my geekiness....:)

I thought the same thing you guys did, so no offense taken! When I first saw the TIE, it was in a display case with some of Richard's cameras and a Graflex (a real, non-lightsaber'd Graflex. That he used as a Graflex.). At first all I saw was the ball and arms, but then he pointed out the wings on another shelf. The story he told me was that when the stage guys bundled up the models in 1978, they had the damaged wingman TIE in pieces and asked him if he wanted it. He said sure, and it was put in a box and shipped up north to his new office. Where it sat till he moved to BOSS in 1983. Then, it sat in a box at BOSS till 1998, when he opened his current office. Basically, he never had the time or desire to reattach the wings and touch it up. So, as far as I can tell from asking Richard, it's been out of sight (literally) for about 30 years.

It was dusty, but not overly so. I think we just brushed it off with a soft paintbrush. The paint looked consistent all over the model. Resin was visible under some paint chips, but there did not appear to be any prior attempts at retouching. The only decals I noticed were the ones that were on the hatch.

Initially he only had the hatch I displayed here. That hatch was the original top mount hatch that had a hole cut out at the top. At some point someone (it may have been Richard) tried to "repair" it by cutting a circle out of another hatch and gluing it to the hatch. Yeah, I know - destroying an original piece for the sake of aesthetics. When I came into the picture, we found a box with a few more loose parts, including the clamps that go on the arms, the bottom hatch cover (unused since that is the mount point now), and another, period, intact top hatch. With that I decided to do a quick paint match and get the replacement hatch painted to match the rest of the body. Since it had to go to Profiles the next week, I did it in a weekend, using the original hatch as a paint guide. As a reward, I got to keep the original hatch. It was a damn close match (if I do say so myself) and fine for a one-off, but for this exercise, we went to a paint mixing expert.

.......Thankyou once again for your tireless research.

No problem guys, glad I could help. As you can see, I'm as big a fan of the stories behind the pieces as I am of the pieces themselves.

Also, kudos to JMChladek for his thread on the alternative paints. Ultimately, you can paint it any color you want. Just not pink. Pink would be.... wrong. :lol

Gene

I am now a definite to get this. It had been a coin toss of either the eFX Vader or TIE but judging by pics of both items the TIE has won hands down for me.

Is there anything at all yet on release dates or pricing?

Chris

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back