eFX TIE fighter at SDCC

I got the eFX Tie fighter last week.
It is awesome replica and I'm very satisfied with eFX guys' result for last 3~4 years.

Although I know well the limitations for the mass-production, some difference is still not enough for me.

The difference of the hatch detail was already pointed out by other folks.
So, I would like to focus the wing and Tie ball.

Eric.

Last edited:
Oh god... the overall look is fine....
...but it seems that the chinese workers not realy care about the small details as to put the parts on correct and not upside down,or to put the decals on the right place.

Nice... i'm glad to have a decal set from moffeaton.
For 1000 Euro i want a high end replica and not a rush job toy.

It is awesome replica and I'm very satisfied with eFX guys' result for last 3~4 years.

Although I know well the limitations for the mass-production, some difference is still not enough for me.

Eric.

Eric, not sure what you mean by the decals being on opposite position. Correct me if I am wrong but is the pic of the TIE below the one eFX used as a reference for decals. If so, it seems like some of the decals are in the correct place while others are not, or are missing completely.

OK , I think I answered my own question, the photos I have are flipped the wrong way. Maybe that's why the factory in China put some of the decals on the wrong side because their reference photo was reversed.:facepalm

I flipped the photos the correct way, here they are:

The pics come from Lucasfilm a certain way - ie, sometimes reversed! So it's very difficult for a licensee to make something "100%" if not flat-out impossible.

Hey Jason,

I think everyone who worked on this deserves a slap on the back.

It really is a beautiful model!

I think we are just nitpicking here to satisfy our own obsessive compulsive disorders!:lol

Yes. The reference pics were reversed.
However, I don't understand the reason.
Although the decals of lower side have the correct position, the decals of upper side are attached on wrong position.

Eric.

OK , I think I answered my own question, the photos I have are flipped the wrong way. Maybe that's why the factory in China put some of the decals on the wrong side because their reference photo was reversed.:facepalm

I flipped the photos the correct way, here they are:

Jason,

Yes. eFX Tie is great model.
So, I gave up to build my Tie...I will just modify some incorrect parts.

Eric.

Last edited:
First off, this is an awesome replica....no doubt! And the masters were built a while back, right. You'll notice some wing parts that are off but it's no big deal. I do, however, still question the wing hub hex plate. Like Eric pointed out, I'm used to seeing Hetzer handles. But I've also heard an 8rad part was trimmed and used like here.

I wouldn't dare bash this replica but I'd still like to get some more info about that part from the TIE experts who built the masters.

Joe

Eric.
Ok I asked this same question on the hetzer part, I also asked about the styrene strip that goes down the center of the hetzer part I have seen on the ilm model and also in the chronicles book, so what is right? And to go with a comment in the other efx thread about Steve's tie.....I know that Steve made the proto types for efx...I did not see what he sent them and I do not know what they changed on the proto types. I am pretty sure Steve knows.

Last edited:
As I posted, Although eFX Tie is great replica in terms of mass-production, some points are misaligned or mismatched with prop.
So, I wanted to modify it to make accurate as I can.
First of all, I could make very similar paint using Tamiya Haze Grey and another grey.
And then, many parts were changed as upper decals, front acrylic rod, Hetzer part on Tie ball, additional decals, hatch part change by original hetzer, wing's hexagon cover and espectially accurated cockpit frame.
After all modifications, I was really satisfied with the Tie, real koolshade wings are remained though.

Eric.

Last edited:
Looking good, Eric.

What did you use for the cockpit frame and wing hexagon covers, some of the parts from Steve's kit?

Hi Zenwalker,

The cockpit frame was added 0.3mm styrene on Steve's kit.
The hexagon cover is the original eFX provided and the cover just was extended by 1.2mm styrene.

Eric.

Looking good, Eric.

What did you use for the cockpit frame and wing hexagon covers, some of the parts from Steve's kit?

This is a awesome replica! It's funny how I tell myself I wish I could afford one right now yet I am scratch building my own. I've probably put more money into the project and have not even completed my wings. LOL!!!!! I hope my wings look just as nice!

Oh and can someone please take a good head on pic of the highlighted part? It's one of the remaining wing parts I have to id and it's been kicking my butt. Thanks!

Joe

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back