Tron: Legacy Costumes

Okay, I think I found some pretty good stuff to start with for my Quorra costume! I really wish I could find that damn fabric with the hexagon/ honeycomb design on it though! I've looked everywhere! Anyways, I found a zip up leotard at Discount Dance Supply HERE. I figure I can just make/buy/customize some long black gloves to make the top part of Quorra's outfit, I know it's supposed to attach almost like a shoulderless undergarment but...that's a bit tricky. I've been literally searching every site for reference/ studio released pictures of Quorra and I think all things considering that sounds pretty good. Anybody else have any other ideas?

By the way, here is a good shot of her upper outfit I found online:
quorra1.png

Last edited:
London, I have an expanded version of that image that shows a bit more of her lower torso. It's actually a desktop wallpaper. It's kind of large to post as it's 1600 x 1200 in resolution, but I'd be happy to email it to you. It's actually available from Disney's TRON website at disney.com/tron if you want to download it yourself. You play the lightcycle game for a few minutes, gathering points by running over the energy orbs, and then you can "buy" images with the points accumulated. There are also a few shots of Siren Gem for those that are interested in replicating her costume.

I have a friend who worked on the suits, and she said that honeycomb pattern was actually a silkscreen/sticker thing You're probably going to have to make your suit and then airbrush the effect with a stencil. I'm going to get around to this suit (the male version) probably closer to the movie in November. I am very curious what everyone comes up with so I will be watching this closely.:cool

I have a friend who worked on the suits, and she said that honeycomb pattern was actually a silkscreen/sticker thing You're probably going to have to make your suit and then airbrush the effect with a stencil. I'm going to get around to this suit (the male version) probably closer to the movie in November. I am very curious what everyone comes up with so I will be watching this closely.:cool

Ya know wondersquid, I thought that was the case! The other day, I was looking at some very high-res images I have of Sam and Quorra and at some points, the hexagons looked RAISED, as in three-dimensional. You could see shadows around them. So I guess it was a type of thin hexagon patterned silkscreen that was pressed somehow onto the plain black underlying cloth.

So instead of scouring the internet for hex patterned cloth, we really should be searching for a hex patterned silkscreen! To paraphrase a line from Indiana Jones, we're "digging in the wrong place!" LOL!

Thanks so much for that info! Can you find out from your friend what type of material the underlying suit was made of? It looks almost like a cotton/lycra blend, but I'm not sure.

London, I have an expanded version of that image that shows a bit more of her lower torso. It's actually a desktop wallpaper. It's kind of large to post as it's 1600 x 1200 in resolution, but I'd be happy to email it to you. It's actually available from Disney's TRON website at disney.com/tron if you want to download it yourself. You play the lightcycle game for a few minutes, gathering points by running over the energy orbs, and then you can "buy" images with the points accumulated. There are also a few shots of Siren Gem for those that are interested in replicating her costume.

That sounds great! I'll go get it on the Disney site ASAP! Also, I had another idea, I can't exactly afford EL Wire, I'm thinking I can use reflective tape? I'm not sure if they have a blue color avaliable....we'll see. I also found the PERFECT boots on eBay for under $40! They'll look great with the costume I think, I'd give you guys the link but....I don't want you to outbid me :love Haha.

London, apparently a blue reflective tape is available. One of the members here, MrSinistar, made a TRON helmet and used blue reflective tape and it looks fantastic when used with a camera flash. He has a really good example photo posted on one of the other TRON Legacy threads here.

And good luck on the boots bid! That's another aspect that I need to think about...getting a CHEAP pair of boots that look the part and that I can "modify" with EL sheet...

YenChih Lin, thanks for posting those links! I already had those images myself, but I couldn't remember where I got them! LOL! I'm sure others will find them VERY helpful as reference images. And yes, they are RIDICULOUSLY LARGE! (which is AWESOME!) :D

London, apparently a blue reflective tape is available. One of the members here, MrSinistar, made a TRON helmet and used blue reflective tape and it looks fantastic when used with a camera flash. He has a really good example photo posted on one of the other TRON Legacy threads here.

And good luck on the boots bid! That's another aspect that I need to think about...getting a CHEAP pair of boots that look the part and that I can "modify" with EL sheet...

YenChih Lin, thanks for posting those links! I already had those images myself, but I couldn't remember where I got them! LOL! I'm sure others will find them VERY helpful as reference images. And yes, they are RIDICULOUSLY LARGE! (which is AWESOME!) :D

HooDooMan, thanks for letting me know about the reflective tape! I checked some out today at my semi-local sports store and they only had yellow and of all things, Pink haha. Also, I remember seeing that helmet! That looked fabulous, I guess I should get all my elements of the costume first and then worry about the reflective tape and whatnot, although, the EL wire looked so cool, but this is only a Halloween costume for me, so I can't exactly go all out like I want to :cry But I am determined to make a DAMN good costume! haha.

Anyone looking for boots should look on not only the obvious eBay, but Amazon has some pretty good stuff too, also, it never hurts to be SEVERLY specific when searching eBay and Amazon, I used to think I just had to search for basically what I am looking for, but now I am ridiculously specific, I typed in black knee wedge boots today and found THE perfect Quorra boots so...just tossin' that out there :)

It just donned on me, I will be wearing this costume outside in the daylight for a short while, reflective tape won't shine in regular light will it? (I know nothing about it :p) Can anyone reccomend something that will sort of glow or be bright in the sunlight? Also, can someone please break down the whole EL Wire thing? I'm not understanding, do I just buy the wire and poof, it glows? Or do I need a battery pack? Or...........what is an inverter LOL? Help? :)

Last edited:
Hi London! For your Quorra costume, I think white reflective tape will look okay in daylight, it's just that there is so much light bouncing around, I don't think it will "glow", per se. But I think it will still stand out pretty well. If you are indoors and someone takes a picture of you with a flash, that's where the reflective tape is really going to work well. The light from the flash will make the reflective tape "glow" in the pictures.

As for EL wire, there are many sites out there on the internet that can give you a lot of the information you need. Basically, the EL in EL wire stands for ElectroLuminescent. EL wire is wire that is coated with a specific material that when an electrical current is passed across it, it gives off energy in the form of light, hence the glow. In most cases, in order for EL wire to glow, you need three things: The EL wire itself, an inverter, and a power source such as a battery pack. The inverter converts the DC power from the batteries to high frequency AC power in order to get the wire to light up. Like I said, a quick google search for "EL wire" will probably give you more than you ever wanted to know about EL wire! LOL! ;) Many sites sell "plug-and-play" kits that are all set up so that you only need to add batteries and you're good to go. A lot of the sites can also customize an order for a specific project or need. I bought a sample EL wire pack from a company called ThatsCoolWire.com Glowsticks/ Electroluminescent Lighting/ EL Wire/ Glow Neon Lights last year. I like their site because they have videos that explain various How-to's about EL wire and some of the products they sell. But there are also many other sites out there that have good information about EL wire as well. I hope that will get you started in the right direction. If you have any other questions, send me a PM. Good luck on your costume! :)

Many sites sell "plug-and-play" kits that are all set up so that you only need to add batteries and you're good to go. A lot of the sites can also customize an order for a specific project or need. I bought a sample EL wire pack from a company called ThatsCoolWire.com Glowsticks/ Electroluminescent Lighting/ EL Wire/ Glow Neon Lights last year. I like their site because they have videos that explain various How-to's about EL wire and some of the products they sell. But there are also many other sites out there that have good information about EL wire as well. I hope that will get you started in the right direction. If you have any other questions, send me a PM. Good luck on your costume! :)

Once again HooDoo, THANK YOU! I hope this costume looks good, I hate working on a budget :angry, Halloween is my favorite holiday and I LOVE to make authentic pieces! LOL. Thanks again for the help, I will send a PM to you first next time!

just wanted to say thanks for all the great reference photos! I love love love the white Siren costume. So very retro ice queen. but dang, why do filmmakers always make the coolest costume skin tight and totally unforgiving of anyone who isn't model perfect with a team of people to help one stay that way? grrrr. ;)

re: the illumination, it looks to me like a combination of EL Tape, reflective fabric and LEDs are used (depending on the placement and item). I think Seattle Fabrics online carries several reflective fabrics. And I've heard CoolWire has been a trusted source for LED and EL for awhile.

Anybody know someone/somewhere I could go to get one of these built for me?
http://www.bleedingcool.com/wp-content/uploads//2010/09/tron7.jpg

I want it to actually glow (EL Wire), and have the ability to turn that wire off, as I would like to wear this to the midnight showing of Tron Legacy and not annoy people in the theater.

I'm not exactly on a tight budget. Would like it to look and feel high-quality.

Biggest issue I see is time, and getting someone to make it. Heh.

Last edited:
FINALY!!
Panda and i found some nice body suits to start on our costumes (we dont have time really to make them from fatals fancy stuff, maybe later)
and i ordered like 9.5 feet of EL wire to start testing ^^

Hello,

Has anyone started on how the disc will fit on the back of your costumes yet? I've seen some members on here playing around with the idea of earth magnets.

Chuck

HAHHAHAH! I tried to tell Travis that guy just SCREAMS Bowie in the Ziggy days...he disagreed. But only because he doesn't have enough Bowie knowledge to call it first, methinks.

Olivia ( who plays Quorra ... I think it's spelled ) looks SO HOT in that suit and I want it SO BAD!!!! The suit, not her...

I think they may have used Light Tape for the suits...if you google it, there's a site ( too lazy to find it again right now ) that has an image of the light-bike from the movie which they supplied the tape for. Apparently it can also be used in fashion so I don't see why they wouldn't have.

Baaaahh....I just wish I could afford the light tape for one of these suits. >_<

I am currently using reflective tape, just plain white for my quorra outfit. im using a matte vinyl for the pants and i currently purchased these boots which i will refit with a rubber...Victoria's Secret - Stretch Wedge Boot

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back