2001: A Space (Station) Odyssey

DaveG

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Ever since I first saw 2001: A Space Odyssey in 1968 at the age of ten I've wanted to recreate the iconic Space Station V from the film. Nothing else seems to express such joy, optimism and grandeur of the future. Sadly, the year 2001 has come and gone and commercial travel into space is still a ways off, as is such a space station. But we have the technology to create the next best thing here on earth.

So I am undertaking the contruction of a model. As much as I would like to recreate a 'studio scale' replica, the original was 7 to 8 feet in diameter, and I just don't have the room! The planned model size is around 30 inches in diameter. That's plenty big to allow for interior lighting. As the the actual scale, that's a bit of a problem to work out. If you assume the Orion Space Plane is between 165 and 200 feet long (commonly accepted sizes) and that it needs to fit inside the docking bay in the hub of the space station, then the station winds up btween 1500 and 1850 feet in diameter. But at this size, the windows in the ring are between 8 and 9 feet tall. On the interior set the windows look to be about 4 feet tall, which would make the station only 794 feet in diameter, which is too small. So like many movie models, we have to accept that it was built and shot to look good, rather than accurate!

Unfortunately, Kubrik had all the original models and blueprints detroyed so the only thing to use as build reference is the film itself, Robert McCall's poster art (the poster was obviously painted using the model as a reference and there are a few details decernable from the poster that cannot be clearly seen in the film) and the photos of the remains of the studio scale model taken in the 70's.

For those of you that are interested, I WILL be producing this model as a kit! It's gonna take a while so you'll have to be patient. No ETAs or price estimates.

I started by selecting a few key HD frame grabs from the BluRay disc of the film, then drawing over them in VectorWorks, a CAD program. A bit of back and forth between drawings and I had some basic proportions. The drawings were then imported into SktechUp where a quick 3D model was mocked up. This allowed me to look at the station from various angles to see if overall it looks correct. Here are a couple of early renderings of the SketchUp model, not alot of details yet.
SpaceStation100625a.jpg

Docking100627.jpg

From SketchUp I move to Rhino, a 3D solid modelling program that can be used to create 3D stereo lithography master parts as well as laser cut and photo-etched parts. Here's a view of some of the details on the Rhino model.
100713Render.jpg

Lots of back and forth refering to various frame grabs from the movie and the details are evolving.
100721Render.jpg

As a test, I had the ribbed connector that goes at the base of the spokes 3D printed using stereo lthography. Here's a view of the Rhino file, exploded into it's component parts.
100721RibbedConnExpld.jpg

And here's the SLA output part, the spoked ring snaps into the crenelated top of the base. The part is a little larger than a quarter across at the top and 3/4" tall.
IMG_4181.jpg

can someone post the pics of the spacestation dumped in a field, i lost them years ago,

would really like to see this one finished..

-z

EDIT - found them

Attachments

• ss4.jpg
    ss4.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 1,155
Last edited:
Hi Dave, HAL says hello. But seriously, I'm looking forwards to this - what an ambitious and cool project!
Regards, Petar

Great subject and beautiful renderings. How do you intend to build the ring that's still under construction, that always seemed to me to be the hardest part especially on a smaller model? Good luck and I look forward to seeing more.

Joe

How do you intend to build the ring that's still under construction, that always seemed to me to be the hardest part especially on a smaller model?

The plan is to solder up the second ring out of brass. The ribs, which measure about 1 5/8" by 2 1/5" would be photo etched or die stamped. The rings will be brass C channel pre-rolled to arcs of the correct radius. I'll probably need to laser cut some disposable soldering jigs to aid in aligning the parts.

Here's a view of the basic framework structure. There will also be ribs that have more gussets and other details as on the original. Just haven't got around to drawing those out yet.
100722FrameworkWide2.jpg

That's very impressive, this won't be your run of the mill garage kit when it's finished, will it? If I may ask, laser cutters, rapid prototypers and the like are not usually found in the average scratch builders workshop, do you have access to these? Please take lots of in process pictures. I love following along on projects like this, there's always something to learn.

Joe

this won't be your run of the mill garage kit when it's finished, will it? If I may ask, laser cutters, rapid prototypers and the like are not usually found in the average scratch builders workshop, do you have access to these?

Joe,

I've been building models for movies, and TV since the early 80's. Sadly, these days, it's mostly gone digital (that's what I do now, supervise visual effects), but it's left me with a very well equiped shop to work on projects like these, when I have the time.

Actually, right now, I'm on location filming a movie and away from my shop for most of the summer. Rhino 3D and stereo lithography are the perfect "Hotel Room" technologies. I just draw it up and send the files, and I get model parts sent back to me via FedEx!

Dave,

I am sooo jealous, that is what I wanted to do ever since Star Wars came out. I have a degree in model making, and worked briefly in the toy industry back in the mid 80”s. Since then I moved into fine furniture and cabinetry. I still do everything the “old fashion” way with manual stationary power and hand tools, a ruler, compass, and pencil. I thought seriously about building a desk top cnc router but can't afford it right now and besides being able to build a cnc and using it are two different things. The cnc, cad/cam, etc world is still alien to me, but I should start to explore it. I look forward to seeing more parts and would love to see a picture of your shop. Again, good luck with this project and by the way, is there such a thing as a DIY or desk top stereo lithography?

Joe

Hub

Here are updated renderings of the end of the hub. I've pretty much finished with all the surface plating. There are still a lot of nernies to add plus the interior of the port still needs to be modeled.
100725HubFront.jpg

100725HubRear.jpg

Adam Johnson of AJA Models is doing a kit of this too. I think it will be over 30inches wide. Adam just recently released an outstanding kit of the "2001" Aries.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back