plaster of paris help needed

Wes R

Legendary Member
I don't have the cash for any mold materials at the moment but have plenty of plaster of paris. Does anyone have any tops for making a mold out of the stuff? i can never get it to dry all the way through.

I don't have the cash for any mold materials at the moment but have plenty of plaster of paris. Does anyone have any tops for making a mold out of the stuff? i can never get it to dry all the way through.

Hey, there is a ton of great information online. Just use google and sift through the junk.
Also, one of the best sources of information may be your local library.
It's such a broad subject matter that you probably won't find any definitive answers here unless you get more specific. Sorry.

Hey, there is a ton of great information online. Just use google and sift through the junk.
Also, one of the best sources of information may be your local library.
It's such a broad subject matter that you probably won't find any definitive answers here unless you get more specific. Sorry.

I'll definetly try online, our local library's pretty poor anymore. I always wonder if i'm adding too much water.

PoP can be a great molding material, it picks up details very well....but it is very slow to dry. If you have a low humidity enviroment and relatively moderate temperatures (70-90 degrees) this time of year, work outside and let it sit for a week or two...it will dry all the way through. I have a mold that I made several years ago and it didn't turn out quite right (missed an undercut) so I left it outside...just saw it the other day under the deck and it's still in one piece, dry as a bone, and got great details (minus the missing part.)

The more liquid you mix it, the better the details and easier it is to release air bubbles....but it also takes a lot longer to dry thoroughly.

i'm thinking of using it for small stuff since i really hate making an RTV mold for something i may never use again. I'll have to hit the dollar store and get some containers for mixing and measuring.

yah POP is great but i let mine sit for days on end, and i have rags laid ontop to help soak out the water... but when its dry its a nead tool to have...

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back