X wing aph-6B conversion help

Kingfrak

I'm try to convert my APH-6B into an Xwing helmet using an RA kit, but I'm finding it to be more difficult than I imagined. The real Helmet plus the kit were too expensive to afford a screw-up. I see the RA tutorial, but I'm having a tough time following it. I hope somebody here can show me their conversion in stages. Also, I'm not sure I'm even using the proper materials to do this. What sort of fiberglass/resin is needed for this?

Mike A.

A few pics from mine:
PrintRoom.com: Member Login

I did use fiberglass resin for the initial attachment of the styrene parts to the helmet, but oy, what a mess. For the subsequent steps I just used 2-part epoxy, JB Weld...whatever was handy. If I did it again, I'd skip the resin completely.

Although, as you can see, I used the RA rams horns as my helmet did not have them. If you're filling in real ones, then yeah, maybe mixing up a batch of fiberglass might be the way to go.

Thanks Jay, this is what I'm looking for-but is there a way I can see this without joining printroom?

Yes indeed, this fiberglass is nasty stuff. I cant get the smell out of my basement...It's nauseating!

A few pics from mine:
PrintRoom.com: Member Login

I did use fiberglass resin for the initial attachment of the styrene parts to the helmet, but oy, what a mess. For the subsequent steps I just used 2-part epoxy, JB Weld...whatever was handy. If I did it again, I'd skip the resin completely.

Although, as you can see, I used the RA rams horns as my helmet did not have them. If you're filling in real ones, then yeah, maybe mixing up a batch of fiberglass might be the way to go.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back