First timer costume- Buzz Lightyear- FINISHED!!!

chilicheese

Hello all.​

This is my first thread on here, and I hope I don’t make a mess of it.
I've made some decent costumes in the past for Halloween, but this year I wanted to do buzz and take him to a level that I haven't in the past. That's why I'm starting now, and why I'm on this amazing forum.
I've been reading all over the net and was surprised at how few buzz's have actually been made.​

I've got the design down. I'm planning on making most of it out of fiberglass. I've made peace with the fact that I'm going to have to pony up some money for an acrylic dome. I have the mechanics for the wings to deploy worked out, and have a few ideas for getting the red button on the front to release the wings.​

With all of that said here is my issue. I have absolutely no experience with electronics. I want the arm laser to work, and I want the lights on the wings to work (alternating flashing). I plan on have a separate switch to turn on the wing lights, but everything else about it kind of boggles my mind.​

My early plan is to try to find some cheap toys that do what I want, then tearing them apart, and rewiring them to reach where I need them.
I was wondering if any of you wise wise people have any ideas on toys that might work/ any other ways to make it work. I’m trying to make this on the cheap. The original plan was $100, but the dome shot that out of the water. Still don’t want to have to blow 50 bucks to get the lights to work.​

If any of you have any ideas I would really appreciate them.
Thank you in advance.​

p.s. I'll try to keep pictures posted of my progress.​

Last edited:
Re: First timer costume- Buzz Lightyear

Basic electronics like the kind you are after aren't too difficult, with a bit of research and some components off e-bay I reckon you could get the lights rigged up for around $10.
Here is a site that explains how to make an alternating LED circuit:
Alternating Flashing LED's / Lights - One LED ON, One OFF
If I were in the US I would offer to rig it up for you and send it out, but the shipping would be far too prohibitive for me to send it from the UK.

I would be careful with toys to make sure it's powerful enough to handle the lights you are going to use. Two high powered LEDs or a group of low powered LEDs will work well for the wing lights. If you don't mind the alternating flashing to be imperfect, you can do something simple like what this guy did on YouTube. This is really if you can't really figure out the diagrams. If you are up to making it proper, you can use a dual tandem flashing light circuit like 2many pointed out. The railroad bank you showed us uses the same type of circuit, so it would be an easy conversion.

As far as the laser, you can get a red LED or just get a cheap laser and wire it to a momentary switch to your arm. This is of course you are talking about the arm laser. If you are looking to make a separate laser-gun, we need pictures. :cool

yea, sorry about that. I was referring to the arm laser. Was going to tear apart the gun, mount the light, put the speaker somewhere hidden, and run the switch up to the upper arm button.

there is another thread going around on a BUZZ outfit. Have always WANTED A GOOD ONE...KEEP IT UP!

I've got some fiber glassing questions, and maybe I should've started a new thread on it, but anyway.

First off, I’m concerned about the weight of it. My wings are going to be spring loaded, and they need to pop up with a quickness. How heavy (ballpark) should I expect them to be?

2nd, my friend told me that I could basically use any cloth that I have lying around to apply the resin to. Is this correct? Also, I assume that it would make it less sturdy, but will it be enough of a downgrade that I wouldn't want to mess with it?

3rd. How many coats of resin should I expect to apply? Is one usually enough, or will it be 3 or more?

Thanks again for your help.​

You need to goto kmart . There is a toy gun that cost $5 sounds and flashes exactly like the buzz laser. You could mod it into the suit easy.

This IS one costume I would love to do. But like so many projects I never seem to bring them to fruition.

I'll be watching this thread with great interest.

I think this would look supremely cool if you could kinda make it just a little more real world?

Maitain the color scheme. Keep pretty much everything but just make the shoulder joints and elbow joints anatomical not the socket type action figure ones.

i did a project my first (and only) week at ITT tech. it was basically a kit that we put together.there is a dial on it that you can basically tune to sound like buzz lightyears lazer.its awesome.it also has leds that work the same way as on toy story. Im going to try to "reverse engineer" it to see if i can get the specs for the forum.if anyone knows more about electronics to help it would help us.im hoping to add this to my costume as well.
"chilicheese"- id love to get the specs for the wings.
thanks

I think this would be one cool costume, and it would actually work for someone of my build. :)

Assuming I can get my finances straight (lot of things are changing this week), I'd be up for helping with lights and sounds if someone can help with the armor/costume parts. What's hard for you is the easy part for me, and vice versa. ;) If anyone/everyone's interested, let me know.

Thanks,

ATM
ShackMan

im up for it.im a noob but ill help as much as possible. i can get you the specs on my project maybe you can find a way to add more amperage to the speakers and brighter leds.
i know of three more threds maybe we could try to keep it all together here so that we can have a more organized brain storming session. i have a feeling with all the talents here we could probably top the disneyland version haha. well lets hope. you guys rock!

looking for help with resin. i was thinking of making a dome in two parts out of either smooth on or castin craft. which one would work the best? i was thinking of painting it on a layer at a time on to a mold of some kind.ive never worked with either so im looking for experiences or advise.thanks!

looking for help with resin. i was thinking of making a dome in two parts out of either smooth on or castin craft. which one would work the best? i was thinking of painting it on a layer at a time on to a mold of some kind.ive never worked with either so im looking for experiences or advise.thanks!

You wanna make the transparent dome out of resin? It will not work if you don't use some fiberglass into it. And that will not make it transparent

a little progress.

1. the beginning of a harness that the body will attack to.

2. very beginning or forearm.

3 and 4. added some foam and put another layer of aluminum.

much more needs to be added, but wanted to show some progress shots.

Re: First timer - Buzz Lightyear- few new pics

Small update. I'm way behind on time, so hopefully if i get in to gear the updates could come sooner.

first two pics are my left bracer. after it's covered in the plastic stuff ill cut out the hinged area.

last is one of my shin pieces. i screwed up the knee part, but i slapped it on there just to give you an idea of what it will be looking like.

I have wanted to do this costume, but I am not there in skill level. This will be a thread I will enjoy watching. Good luck!

Almost finished the boot. Still need the back accent on it.

1. Just the boot so you can see a little bit of my airwalk in there.

2. A little comparison of the bottom to buzz's boot.

3. The boot with shin. I like how its coming together.

Still way behind. Hope I get it done.

Re: First timer costume- Buzz Lightyear- Boot Update 10/2

This looks to be coming along quite well. The boot looks great, Keep it up!

Re: First timer costume- Buzz Lightyear- Boot Update 10/2

starting to add some color. considering i only have one day left i better be.

1. front chest shot
2. back shot
3. one of my gauntlets
4. bottom of shoe and a little bit of calf

i hope i get it done so i can give you all a total costume shot.. and enter the contest :)

p.s. sorry i only have a phone camera. shots aren't great.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back