Scarecrow, Arkham asylum FINISHED! pg3

Kommissar

I'm finishing up on my batman villain, scarecrow costume.
it's been tricky making everything patchwork, but fitted, and i've had alot of fun with it all.
the voice changer i've almost installed into my mask is going to be really exciting to try.

darkface.jpg

sideshot.jpg

lower.jpg

The claw is almost finished construction, though i'm having some difficulties with two parts.. the batt pack is rather large, so difficult to obscure. i'm probably going to try and hide it in the sleeve.

P5120502.jpg

P5120510-1.jpg

the main issue is below, i'm trying to diffuse the glow of the EL wire so it fills more of the containers, particularly the syringes, which look rather boring when not glowing, and when glowing... well you can see the EL wires rather clearly.

the insides have been sanded to fog it alittle, but i'm not sure of the best way to diffuse the light further, or make it look like its being diffused.

P5120507.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Scarecrow, Arkham asylum

Cool costume!

You might try using parchment paper (the kind used for lining baking sheets, not the calligraphy stuff)) or even wax paper as a diffuser for the EL wire.

Scarecrow has always been one of my favourite Bat villains. I'm working on a costume based on teh Begins/Dark Knight version. I do however LOVE the version in the Arkham Asylum and you have totally nailed! Great job!!

im gonna try the parchment paper idea, ive tried things ranging from paint mixed with hot glue, to simple acrylics, and even some shades of nail polish, it's proving rather frustrating.

i wish i could put cool aid into it, but that will eventually go rancid, and since my fingers go into the tubes, i can't find a way to keep it waterproof.

Im not sure if the wire is bright enough to give you that filled syringe glowing effect that you want no matter how much frosting you do. LED's would be a good option, the same way that folks make lightsabers

well, it'll have to do with the EL wire i have, till after comic con, but once that happens, i will be asking questions on how to add LEDs to the tubes.

Would it be feasible to put glowsticks inside the syringes? The kind that are meant to hang on necklaces for Halloween. I think some have just enough of a space in the bottom to stick a finger inside and would practically fill the entire syringe. Don't know if you could find glowsticks to match the color of the EL wire exactly though.

Would it be feasible to put glowsticks inside the syringes? The kind that are meant to hang on necklaces for Halloween. I think some have just enough of a space in the bottom to stick a finger inside and would practically fill the entire syringe. Don't know if you could find glowsticks to match the color of the EL wire exactly though.

I've seen glow bracelets at craft stores like Micheal's and even at Target. Like 15 assorted colors for $1.00, and I'm pretty sure they have at least a few yellows in there. You could pick up a couple sets, use a bunch of the yellows and rave with the rest :thumbsup

i thought i edited a previous post, but dang, looks like i didn't

thanks for the kind words peoples, i really enjoyed scarecrow, but his earlier incarnations in comics and media were rather campy rather than scary, and the video game version just grabbed me.

i've been using the wax paper for the last couple of hours, with a light sanding to break the surface, i then soak the paper in some ink to give it an orange hue, seems to work better than nothing, but LEDs sound like a much better idea in the future.

That is amazing! How in the world did you make that mask? And with the glowing syringes, and voice changer, you've got a seriously awesome costume on your hands. That's a gaurantee costume contest winner if I ever saw one

That is amazing! How in the world did you make that mask? And with the glowing syringes, and voice changer, you've got a seriously awesome costume on your hands. That's a gaurantee costume contest winner if I ever saw one

i took a painters gas mask (the ones that cover the mouth and nose only) and attached wire mesh over it, shaped it and then attached some coffee stained fabric to it, added some foam under areas to make them more organic and streched, hand stitched a bunch of stitches and folds, and then added some inks to various places to add to the wear and add depth on the natural shaded areas.
first mask i've tried, it was really fun to build.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back