Warehouse 13 - Claudia's (Farnsworth's) Farnsworth

I think the probem is smartphones have touch screens, and blackberries have a bazillion buttons on them. Ther ereally isn't a practical way to take a modern phone even with moderate features and put it into something with only 4 dials.

yea, i was thinking that myself. maybe if the bottom half of the faceplate was removeable? then you could hide the keypad there for entering contacts etc. and then just set it up so that everything is voice controlled and voice text

I'm actually using our regualar farnsworths as cell phone cases. Our droidx phones fit underneath the facepate, and we can call each other, triggering a farnsworth ringtone using our bluetooth headsets.

IF full screen caller ID ever works properly, it will even be able to display a clip from the show under the screen.

thats interesting, you have any pictures of the way you set it up? i just figured hack a blackberry cuz the screen size is about right and all that good stuff

That idea failed epically. Why? The glass screen extends 1-2 mm below the faceplate, and if I put the phone under it, the facelate extends 1mm above the top lip of the faceplate. 8(

As it turned out though, it was a non issue. it was so loud at dragoncon there was no way you could have heard them ring anyway.

I might grind down the glass screen edges, or see if I can find a smaller diameter replacement for them instead.

(And we actually managed to get Eddie to sign both our farnsworths! He wasn't too keen on signing them, and I was warned they better OT show up on ebay.)

No worries about that though!

I think drying plates.. they are from a scientific supplier. They had a few sizes, is I recall, and were $1.55 I think.

Hey I hate to bump an old thread but I was wondering if anyone made any headway on this? I want to build one of these over the break, so I'm in major research mode. And I think I've managed to find some parts. I'm pretty sure the part that the silicon tube goes into, on both sides, are conical washers similar to the small silver one here:
wkconwasher.jpg

And I think the brass ring that holds the clear cabochan might be a brass compression ring like this one: COMPRESSION FERRULES RINGS ALL SIZES BRASS NEW! | eBay

Anyone have any idea if the antennas on top are actually welding tips, or are they something else?

While I thought at first the "antennas" may have been welding tips, I don't think they are. I think they have been put together. The red bit just looks like the plastic shroud on a banana plug and part of it looks like an eyelet that hasn't been compressed yet (one side has the flange and the rest is tube) as this is how they look in the packet and one can buy longer eyelets for thicker materials. One antenna just looks like the "shroud" is simply slid up further on whatever the stem part is (maybe a welding tip, maybe a valve stem). The poster "circuit diagram" shows that these extend quite a distance inside the box.

The brass ring in the middle looks to me like it is a part of whatever the "jewel" centre might be. It could be a door peep hole or something, even a jewel off an old mood ring.

The small speaker grill on the right looks like a shield off a microphone that has been trimmed down.

The screen is another of the screens from before or similar.

The sockets in the side for the dish attachment are simply eyelets as they are in the original Farnsworth prop after it was modified. I will be adding this to one of my original Farnsworths but not the other. I will then make one dish that can be fitted to either type of Farnsworth.

The small inverted saucer part in the lid where the tube is inserted has been suggested as the hub from a radio controlled airplane front wheel.

The antenna stuff in the box lid is all made from wire which has been bent.

The box is obviously the Wheatley Malvern range ABS fly box.

The radio knob is a mystery so far and the dial plate legend has been redrawn as it has a Farnsworth logo on it and the scale appears to be upside down compared with every dial plate I can find. Again the whole things could be off some old radio set.

The faceplate has been fabricated and should be easier as there is no milling or etching this time, just cutting and drilling holes. The lid seems to have a plate in it as well with the "antenna" wires fixed to it. It may well have the name Farnsworth etched into it or it's done by some method we don't know yet.

All of the "flourishes" in my opinion have been wrapped using a wire-writer and shouldn't be too hard.

The uncertainly over the knob and dialplate which are major focal points on the faceplate I think have prevented people from doing this one so far. I have found stuff similar but not exact and when I do finally get around to starting this, I will use what I have but replace it if/when the right one is found.

Could the camera/button looking things be security peepholes for doors? The ones I'm turning up online right now have smaller, set in lenses, but perhaps older versions had a different design?

I agree, I was just looking at peepholes to replace the one on my front door and they do look very much like whats on Claudia's Farnsworth.

Ok this may be an insane idea, could the dial for the knob be made using Shrinky Dinks? The shrinky dinks come in black, if we could figure out the contraction rate It may be possible to make a replica.

I've decided to try making one of these.
I'm not going for a 100% exact replica, but as close as I can get with what I can find, that being said,

The silver washer on the lid could also be a belleville washer.

I'm substituting the microphone speaker with a sink faucet head.

I agree that the two brass items on the box may be the front and back spyglass from a door. There are various styles available at most hardware stores. One sawn in half can be used. The lower spyglass would need to have a small lens added to give it a raised center. Tap plastics sells small carbuncles in this size that would fit.

The filagree reminds me a bit of scrapbook stickers ... ex: 'Dazzles gold border sticker sheet'... not what was used on the actual prop but an alternative to etching.

The silver washer on the lid could also be a belleville washer.

Belleville Washers or Spring Washers aren't as curved on the edes as what they've used on the Farnsworth but that and or even the conical washers used under countersunk screws for upholstery or sheeting can be used in a pinch.

Hey, guys!

I've been following this thread for the last few months since I decided to build my own Farnsworth for my prop building class (I'm a theatre major at the University of Colorado). All of your suggestions were great and I used a few of them in my design. I did have a time and material constraint so it didn't turn out as well as I hoped. I think I might build another one over the summer since I think I can do better.

Here is a picture of my finished Farnsworth:
IMAG0142.jpg

Cheers,
Caroline

Last edited:
As a side note, has anyone seen how these antennas look on the blueprints? They are telescopic and one is for transmit and one for receive. They are shown extended to different lengths. I think what they have done here is just make a solid representation of them that will stand up to everyday use on set as telescopic antennas can be quite prone to bending and breaking.

The bottom round thing on the main faceplate is the on switch according to the blueprints so it seems likely that it is a small pushbutton inside a brass ring.

So the top one could still be an eyepiece from an old door peepphole. The plans say it is the camera.

I had a couple more thoughts about the "antennas" on the top of the box. Someone mentioned it might be tyre valves and it is possible that they might be Presta valve stems inside a tube and one of those brass eyelets.

Am I the only one who was seriously disappointed to see Claudia using a standard-issue Farnsworth last night?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

hey caroline that is the best atempt i have seen at claudias farnsworth
it is bad but it is also amazing in fact it is a step in the right direction

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back