Warehouse 13 - Claudia's (Farnsworth's) Farnsworth

You're absolutely right. Thanks for that screencap. I didn't have one of that frame that showed it so well. One can plainly see the logo area on the lid of that case.

So obviously I just have to clean/sand the two logos off and paint them and don't have to worry about doing any filling. I think even if I had received the black ones I'd still be doing a coat of paint anyway. I'll have to think about it and maybe I'll end up buying some black ones.

I'd spoken with Mark at Wheatley and he had confirmed with me about the logo area and it not being flat like the other boxes.

You have the right case, just the wrong color. Note the shape of the case in Claudia's left hand. You can see the small ripple shape near her thumb. The Malvern cases do not have a completely smooth surface like the aluminum models.

I'm trying to avoid painting the outside case. Haven't had time to test and see if Acetone has a harsh reaction on the plastic while removing the logos.

The entire outside of the box will have to be masked off for the gold/brass repaint of the bottom interior of the case...gonna be tricky.

Really need some leads on the brass top antenna and the gromet-type jacks on the side first.

cb41_1.JPG

b2cf_1.JPG

IMG_0566.jpg

If the boxes are molded in color plastic. Then lightly sand off the logo then buff the plastic out. I did that exact thing with the regular Fransworth black box. They are just powder choated. Hope that helps.
Mark

The fact that I was sent green boxes leaves me no options other than repaint it or get some more in black. I think if I am going to paint the inside bottom of the case some colour and the inside of the lid in a gloss coat anyway after adding all of the "bits" then doing a full repaint is probably not much wore work. I'm planning on making the faceplate for this one from styrene sheet too so will have to gloss coat it as well after adding the flourishes.

I'm a little concerned as to how the ABS plastic will react to using acetone as well so was going to try removing the logos with fine sandpaper and buffing.

As for the "sockets" on the side, I was going to try to find some brass eyelets that have a finer rim on them. I've seen used on other things so they must be available. Obviously they need to have a hole large enough for a banana plug to fit in them.

The eyelets are also used on the antennas on the top and one of them looks like it has the stem from a Presta tyre valve in it. The red tubing looks like the insulatng sleeve on a crimp type spade or lug. I need to get a better look from the top. Of course it doesn't look at all like it does in the blueprints if you've had a look at them. I was actuall thinking a full sized or half sized copy of the blueprints might be a nice prop to do.

The biggest problem has been finding a knob and dial plate with silver surround that looks just like the one of the front. Also the two things with gold looking rims on them just under the screen and at the bottom.

I'm going to try making the flourishes from 30 gauge wire. The simple ones don't look so bad but not looking forward to the wreath shaped one around the small grill. I might also try to make the Farnsworth name from wire too.

If you only want to paint the metal fillets in the case gold, you could Dremel off the inside rivet heads and take out the fillets to paint them. Simply use some glue to put it back in and hold the remaining bit of the rivets in place. The other option is to just replace them with brass ones.

Are you going to do the internal "circuitry" in it as well? Most stuff is not that hard to find but the little vacuum tubes seem a bit elusive. I did think of using 10mm diameter glass or plastic test tubes with some foil and other filaments in them.

Of course finding things to make the screens is a bit tricky too now that the others are no longer available. I should have bought a couple extra.

I'm trying to avoid painting the outside case. Haven't had time to test and see if Acetone has a harsh reaction on the plastic while removing the logos.

The entire outside of the box will have to be masked off for the gold/brass repaint of the bottom interior of the case...gonna be tricky.

Really need some leads on the brass top antenna and the gromet-type jacks on the side first.

If the boxes are molded in color plastic. Then lightly sand off the logo then buff the plastic out. I did that exact thing with the regular Fransworth black box. They are just powder choated. Hope that helps.
Mark

Solid advice. I'll give it a try, thanks.

I'm planning on making the faceplate for this one from styrene sheet too so will have to gloss coat it as well after adding the flourishes.

Technically we'll have two face plates. I will be using brass for those. More on that later...

I'm a little concerned as to how the ABS plastic will react to using acetone as well so was going to try removing the logos with fine sandpaper and buffing.

Sometimes you just want a quick simple solution, where quick doesn't work. The Acetone worked so well on the aluminum cases, so easy to want more quick solutions. The plastic cases will probably be just a little more work. It's easy to loose patience sometimes.

As for the "sockets" on the side, I was going to try to find some brass eyelets that have a finer rim on them. I've seen used on other things so they must be available.

I was thinking these were the 1/4 size. I've discovered the "Servo" type is the one with a longer stem, most other eyelets are shorter.

b2cf_1.JPG

Obviously they need to have a hole large enough for a banana plug to fit in them.

The screen accurate size is enough for me. I didn't care too much for the Radar plug-in. I wonder if they will ever use those again in the show?

IMG_0566.jpg

The eyelets are also used on the antennas on the top and one of them looks like it has the stem from a Presta tyre valve in it.

I gotta disagree. I think those antennas are a single piece and drilled into the case body. HickeyDesign mentioned "welding or plasma cutting tips". I saw some of these at an industrial hardware store during my brass Farns build. He's definitely on to something. There are hundreds and they come in single-tip packs. The Presta Tyre valves I've seen all look too uniform (universal fit?), plus the cutting tips do have a body like Tyre valve. Check the fourth pic, top of the Black Farns with the exposed interior.

f26572wh13%2002x03-1434f228.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0562.jpg

IMG_0559.jpg

warehouse-13-claudias-farnsworths-farnsworth-screenshot_1186.jpg-29629d1279716047

Of course it doesn't look at all like it does in the blueprints if you've had a look at them. I was actuall thinking a full sized or half sized copy of the blueprints might be a nice prop to do.

Full sized Farns blueprints would be cool. Anyone good at this? Contact me, I have other blueprint work to be done too.

The biggest problem has been finding a knob and dial plate with silver surround that looks just like the one of the front.

jaw-dropping.gif
That is only one of the major problems with this built. It's possible that knob is a built of its own. I think it's three separate parts, plus the dial plate has to have space to accommodate the small "Farnsworth" text. :cry

IMG_0560.jpg

warehouse-13-claudias-farnsworths-farnsworth-screenshot_1186.jpg-29629d1279716047

Also the two things with gold looking rims on them just under the screen and at the bottom.

I was thinking those were another type of clear crystal like on the brass Farns? I have extras I was going to sand down to fit. Finding those brass rim in the same style but two different sizes is going to be the real booger.

IMG_0560.jpg

IMG_0559.jpg

I'm going to try making the flourishes from 30 gauge wire. The simple ones don't look so bad but not looking forward to the wreath shaped one around the small grill. I might also try to make the Farnsworth name from wire too.

I think you're going above and beyond what the original prop masters did on the show. The flourishes just don't look "raised" enough to convince me they are made of a single strain of wire.

I'm in the graphic biz and we use a masking technique (based on Romarking) where we plot out any given shapes in vinyl decals and lay them on a metal's surface. The metal is painted and after drying we remove the vinyl decal shapes exposing the original metal color. The vinyl decals are just used as a specific-shaped mask. I'm pretty sure that is what we're seeing on this Farns. That's why I will be using painted brass for my face plates.

IMG_0567.jpg

f26572wh13%2002x03-1434f228.jpg

I'm not saying your way won't work, but I know for sure you'll be taking the hard (and expensive) way around. Save your strength
weights.gif
for the symmetrical copper wire work in top case.

If you only want to paint the metal fillets in the case gold, you could Dremel off the inside rivet heads and take out the fillets to paint them. Simply use some glue to put it back in and hold the remaining bit of the rivets in place. The other option is to just replace them with brass ones.

I won't need to remove it for painting, plus I want to maintain the original structural integrity of the case.

Are you going to do the internal "circuitry" in it as well?

smhrd3.gif

Most stuff is not that hard to find but the little vacuum tubes seem a bit elusive. I did think of using 10mm diameter glass or plastic test tubes with some foil and other filaments in them.

I think all the surface face plate components will be a massive buy in itself, let alone all that stuff. No thanks.

Technically we'll have two face plates. I will be using brass for those. More on that later...

I was thinking of doing all of the stuff for the inside of the lid on a separate plate then fixing it in place. Plastic would suffice for that I think. I would like to do the main faceplate using brass but have no way to get it cut and have the holes done well. No local cutting place seems to want to do it for me.

Sometimes you just want a quick simple solution, where quick doesn't work. The Acetone worked so well on the aluminum cases, so easy to want more quick solutions. The plastic cases will probably be just a little more work. It's easy to loose patience sometimes.

Which was why I didn't want to just put acetone on to it and risk damaging the plastic box. I always expected that in some ways the plastic box would be more of a challenge and in other ways not.

I was thinking these were the 1/4 size. I've discovered the "Servo" type is the one with a longer stem, most other eyelets are shorter.

I've not looked into what is around here eyelet-wise. I was just wanting to find ones that looked close to what was used. The rolled top of the eyelets on the prop seems to be not as wide as most eyelets that one sees in dress-making and hobby shops.

The screen accurate size is enough for me. I didn't care too much for the Radar plug-in. I wonder if they will ever use those again in the show?

Maybe we'll never see them again but I thought it might be fun to have it. I plan on adding the eyelets to the original Farnsworth too so it can be fitted to that. Since the episode where they were added we see them all the time in screenshots so I figure it is how the Farnsworths look now. I may leave one unmodified and only alter the other one.

I gotta disagree. I think those antennas are a single piece and drilled into the case body. HickeyDesign mentioned "welding or plasma cutting tips". I saw some of these at an industrial hardware store during my brass Farns build. He's definitely on to something. There are hundreds and they come in single-tip packs.

None of the ones I've seen look like the antennas but certainly if you or anyone else finds the right ones, I'll be sure to use them, if I can get them.

The Presta Tyre valves I've seen all look too uniform (universal fit?), plus the cutting tips do have a body like Tyre valve. Check the fourth pic, top of the Black Farns with the exposed interior.

I guess it will be easy enough to make up one and see what it looks like using the various parts including the valve stem and if it looks like crap then not use it. Or if I had access to a lathe then I could turn them.

Full sized Farns blueprints would be cool. Anyone good at this? Contact me, I have other blueprint work to be done too.

I used to actually do this years ago. I did the drawings on film using ink and then they were put through a machine with the blueprint paper to "print" them. Changes were made to the film copy with a razor blade and ink and then new copies were printed. It was used to print on to other media too for large format mechanical drawings.

I also used to do circuit drawings this way and they were "copied" on to paper. These days one just does the drawing using computer software and the drawings are simply plotted or printed, which I also did for about 10 years in the railway signalling industry.

These days I don't know what methods are used for blueprints.

That is only one of the major problems with this built. It's possible that knob is a built of its own. I think it's three separate parts, plus the dial plate has to have space to accommodate the small "Farnsworth" text.

I have seen a knob that is similar but it doesn't have the long pointer. This one is probably from an old radio set of some kind. I guess one could always make the knob from an existing one. I saw a dial plate that has the right scale but is upside down. It would be easy enough to paint it the correct way and letraset the numbers and letters. I have no facility for printing on to plastic or metal. The silver rim though doesn't seem to be on any of the ones I've seen.

I was thinking those were another type of clear crystal like on the brass Farns? I have extras I was going to sand down to fit. Finding those brass rim in the same style but two different sizes is going to be the real booger.

That's why I thought they might be something that already had the gold rim on it. The bottom one almost looks more like a button than an indicator. After all one does need to have a call/answer button like on the other one. I do have some smaller cabochons in plastic.

I think you're going above and beyond what the original prop masters did on the show. The flourishes just don't look "raised" enough to convince me they are made of a single strain of wire.

Whereas to me they look quite raised. To me it's obvious where the wire crosses itself. Again I have no other means to do that sort of thing. I have no access to any equipment that can etch or print this sort of detail work.

I'm in the graphic biz and we use a masking technique (based on Romarking) where we plot out any given shapes in vinyl decals and lay them on a metal's surface. The metal is painted and after drying we remove the vinyl decal shapes exposing the original metal color. The vinyl decals are just used as a specific-shaped mask. I'm pretty sure that is what we're seeing on this Farns. That's why I will be using painted brass for my face plates.

Can it do stuff as fine as the detail on that wreath shape around the grill on the right? While the flourishes may not look raised at all to you, won't the result of this masking/painting technique be that those details will actually be lower in profile than the painted areas? Of course if a reasonably price etched/painted brass faceplate were to be made available, I'd use that.

I'm not saying your way won't work, but I know for sure you'll be taking the hard (and expensive) way around. Save your strength
weights.gif
for the symmetrical copper wire work in top case.

I have no real options for any of this stuff unless someone can produce something suitable at a reasonable price for sale. It will be fiddly to do but not so expensive as my time is my own. The heavier wire work in the lid is the much easier part. I have a wire jig so those wavy wires will be easy to do.

I won't need to remove it for painting, plus I want to maintain the original structural integrity of the case.

Removing the fillets and replacing them won't affect the structure of the case at all as it is molded plastic. It would be easier to paint or anodise that way, but masking and painting it won't be that hard either.

I think all the surface face plate components will be a massive buy in itself, let alone all that stuff. No thanks.

I agree that stuff is going to be hard to find and maybe a little expensive too but a lot of the stuff inside is stuff that many of us have in our electronics junk boxes. Of course the main thing is to get the actual prop itself made. One can always come back and add the internal stuff later on so it is not a priority for me to do either. It's just in my mind that it could be an option like the direction finder dish.

This project may stall completely if all of the parts can't be found or made. I'm not starting any assembly of it until I know I can get all of the parts one way or another. I have some of the stuff. More of the vacuum formed screens are needed as I'm not completely happy with the tap/push light domes that i have been able to happy.

Work on much of this stuff relies on having access to the right equipment to do it. I have no machining capability except for what I can do by hand and no printing capability beyond what my printer at home can do. I'm also limited by what I can buy here comapred with what is available in the USofA. I've had to have some stuff sent over there.

As far as making any sort of gun props it is much harder here as we can't buy locally or import real guns, replicas or even Airsoft guns to use for a base.

Last edited:
Don't know whether this has been mentioned but the suction cup thingy on the lid with the silicon hose going into it looks like a model aircraft wheel. It may not be Du-Bro but I've seen them before (Hobby store manager for 4 years). Looks like it was was cut in half and then the used the other aluminium piece on the main body. The silicon hose is fuel tubing for model aircraft.

And now we know that QMx will have have a couple of Farnsworths and a Tesla at least in its WH13 lineup.

Great shots, F-N-S! This whole episode is a Farnsworth tease. So many close-ups. I'm wondering if they are laying foundation for a toy or replica release down the road.

Still not sure if I like this one as much as the standard issue.

Thanks for capturing and posting !

I'm thinking of making a Farnsworth inspired device in a cigarette case. I have a couple of these in my "things-to-do-something-with" drawer.

cigcase.jpg

Might have it used longways (as it's opened in the photo) rather than opening like a book. I'm looking for suitably small knobs and bits and bobs to use on it. The cases are cheap and easy to find online and I quite like the Egyptian inspired design on these ones.

I've got half a mind to just create my own Farnsworth design...I've already got some ideas.

I have a copy of Farnsworth's original 1927 TV patent here as well.

The blueprints might be worth buying. Are they full-sized? In the show they appeared to be about A2 in size. If they are made the old way they can be faded with lots of bright sunshine to a degree. Of course I don't know how they're made these days and these might just be mass produced prints.

Are they full-sized? In the show they appeared to be about A2 in size. If they are made the old way they can be faded with lots of bright sunshine to a degree. Of course I don't know how they're made these days and these might just be mass produced prints.
They are poster-sized, using a fairly bright blue ink, which I thought was odd. I'm guessing it's printed like most posters. I think I might pick one up anyway. I picked up one of QMx's Star Trek insignia pins and like the quality.

Has anyone located the dial yet, or are you still thinking of making it in seperate parts? As for the faceplates, I'm thinking of just having them etched with the flourishes and filling them with gold paint, hopefully to the point that the paint is a little bit raised past the surface for the 3D effect.

I found someone to cut and etch the faceplates for me, now to start on making a file with all the paths. :cry

You can drill out most of the holes, use a step drill for the best quality. I'd also use a small drill and drill out as much of the speaker grill as you can, then file in the rest. Take your time and you will do fine.

I'm thinking of making a Farnsworth inspired device in a cigarette case. I have a couple of these in my "things-to-do-something-with" drawer.

I love the idea of this.

Puts some of those interesting things to an even more interesting use. Hey, I think I have a couple of cigarette cases around here somewhere...

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back