Warehouse 13 - Claudia's (Farnsworth's) Farnsworth

I had a couple more thoughts about the "antennas" on the top of the box. Someone mentioned it might be tyre valves and it is possible that they might be Presta valve stems inside a tube and one of those brass eyelets.

DS, you going for that Art Deco style, maybe? As if Howard Hughes had his own personal Farnsworth?

Im already considering it, and yes, i was thinking about an Art Deco style. Possibly make it look like it came out of "METROPOLIS".
The color combination Im thinking of using is steel greys and some rust.

As for the Wheatly flybox, I think the best course is to wait a few more episodes to see if there are better shots of the communicator.

Regarding the rivet on the back....I really think the rivet was added to obscure the Wheatley logo.
As most of you know, TV shows are not allowed to show product logos unless the manufacturer of the product gives consent.

For those interested the latest pod cast Ep 201 Farnsworth prop cost.
Original $4000. each
New one $4200.
and they don't even work.

Couple more pictures

should still have the gold lining though

Yes, they must have had some custom boxes made for them. Wheatley doesn't have a gold trimed version listed on their site.
The Mavern boxes are the only ones i saw that have the rivets on the sides and top in the correct location and also have the thick walls.

DS, we were talking about the gold edging or lip not the engraving or wirework. The pics i posted from Wheatley have the silver inner lip. The Farns Farn has a gold piece instead.

I think the inner lining was either painted gold or taken from a gold box. As for the inside lid. I don't think they engraved the inside of the lid. Looks to me that they made a lid insert to add the embellishments and such. Makes it easier too if it is indeed engraved. As for the "Suction cup" ummm...I don't think it's a suction cup XD Looks like a piece of turned aluminum to me. If you use a lid insert then it can be attached more solidly that way too.

Why do I think that someone making the show saw the threads here and are ****ing with us?

Like, oh sure, try this one.

That would be awesome.

:lol I couldn't help but think the same thing when I saw it on the show! My mind went straight to all the hard work you guys did figuring this thing out, and now this!

it's almost funny how complex it looked, almost like a challenge to us because we figured out the first one

The game's a foot! You guys leveled the playing field and now they're seeking to pull back ahead...or this was just an ill-timed progression in the storyline and you're just paranoid. :confused :lol Either way I'm rooting for you guys!:thumbsup

I've got half a mind to just create my own Farnsworth design...I've already got some ideas.

I would pay good money to see that! You've got some strong ideas and your dogged pursuit of figuring out every part and piece to this thing has been quite inspiring. There comes a time when the 'concept' of something is what's most important, not 100% accurate replication. Just because you didn't think of it first and don't have a TV show to certify it, doesn't mean your ideas aren't valid. Look at all the products in our society that variations or improves of earlier ideas.

I personally don't like it. I think it looks gaudy and lacks the sort of authentic feel of the regular Farnsworth.

A lot like Claudia compared to the rest of the cast. They needed something a little more 'rock n roll' like her personality. So love it or hate it, the new design does seem to fit her at least.
All the clues were laid out with her begging for one through out the entire episode. Plus it was a nice affirmation that Artie is still a big softy at heart after his repeated gruffness during the show and he really does appreciate what she does for the warehouse.

Obviously the majority of that was in hours. The only thing is that once it was all figured out, it shouldn't have cost $4000 for each of them as once one has the materials it is usually not much more expensive to make three of something than it is to make one. Unless of course we're talking about a Ferrari.

I noticed in the commentary for episode 2, he changed that and said the "original" ones cost $3800 and the new one $4200, so maybe $4000 was rounding up in the first commentary.

I wonder what the Tesla cost.

For those interested the latest pod cast Ep 201 Farnsworth prop cost.
Original $4000. each
New one $4200.
and they don't even work.

So now what I should do is push my luck ask Wheatley if I can have the 8203 fly box (one with fly clips) with a gold rim instead of silver and without the fly clip mounting insert riveted in place. I could then use the inserts as templates for the faceplate and any lid insert.

I suppose really though having to paint the rim is no big deal.

I messaged Wheatley about the possibility of supplying the 8210 box with a gold rim and no foam inserts and what it would cost. Never hurts to ask. The response was

Hello Peter,

We are limited with what we can do with the Malvern range of boxes (incl. 8210 type). Unfortunately we could not change the silver anodised fillet to a gold coloured one unless you could order quantities. We would need an order of 500 pcs to make this possible.

We could fit a gold anodised fillet to a green aluminium box if this would be of interest.

Best regards,
Mark

Dear Peter

If you want to order boxes without foam, we can carry out a manual transaction. Please contact us by email with your request when required.

Kind regards
Mark

So I guess it will be painting the rim gold if anyone decides to build one though as mentiond earlier at least the boxes can be bought without the foam inserts. This is good as they are a bugger to remove especially from a plastic box. Acetone would likely damage the ABS.

Last edited:
After looking at the photo for a while I was thinking, could they have just laid out wires in the lid to how they wanted them and then poured clear epoxy into the lid to seal the wire down? The details in the corners of the lid look flat if you see the glare going across them but they look like they have depth if the light is not directly hitting the inside of the lid. I have to admit I am liking this piece more and more. :lol

and the shot of the inside behind the faceplate!
oh yeah, I have been waiting to get some screen caps of that detail. I see that there is the transducer disk from the handset of an old phone underneath the microphone area.

Not sure if there is anyone else into electronics in this thread but dialog about the parts while they were working on the device near the end was hilarious, I don't think the writers even tried :lol

Last edited:
Looks like the mystery of the inner brass lining is solved.
Did you guys notice that the little rivets that hold the brass lining in place are missing.
Looks like they simply removed rivets and silver lining and replaced it with brass lining.

Pretty simple fix...just cut a thin piece of hobby brass strip and insert it.

Last edited:
maybe this is too far fetched but the more i look at it, this appears to be Rowmark engraving stock that the letters are done on, we do this stuff all the time, black front surface with gold behind it and laser engraved, then wire detail added...You can also lay down a special foil and laser away what you don't want leaving a raised surface( embossed)

Will

Rowmark used for these signs

LASERmag.jpg

Great shots, F-N-S! This whole episode is a Farnsworth tease. So many close-ups. I'm wondering if they are laying foundation for a toy or replica release down the road.

Still not sure if I like this one as much as the standard issue.

Thanks for capturing and posting !

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back