Warehouse 13 - Claudia's (Farnsworth's) Farnsworth

That's a Shure SM57! The grill is too fine to be the same one used. They are studios mics. I use them on my drums.

FB

The speaker looks like the mesh found on those old handheld tape recorder microphones.
shure-sm57.jpg

That's a Shure SM57! The grill is too fine to be the same one used. They are studios mics. I use them on my drums.

FB

I have no idea what model microphone that was...I just posted that image to show an example of the microphone wire mesh.
If anyone can figure out the right model it would be great.

DS

Last edited:
Has anyone looked through Scrapbooking materials to see if they already make gold foil hollow letters in Dry Rub-On Lettering?

I've looked at a couple makers and found gold foil solid, but no hollow.

Another possibilty: there are Inket Printer Dry Rub Kits, but you'd need a gold metallic ink for it to look right. Side note, you could use the same setup to make dry rub scroll work for the corners.

I agree actually making the letters would a complete nightmare for something that will be noticed very little on screen. I too wondered if very fine hollow preformed gold lettering was available. It might even be plastic lettering. Once gloss coated it would be hard to tell the difference.

I just had another thought that it might be done with "gold leaf".

As for the dial I was thinking that I've seen one like that on something recently.

I am fairly sure that wire with the suction cup on the end is the anode connector between the flyback X-former and the picture tube of an old 13" tv set. It looks like the greebly on the right top side is a brass dart head without the tip screwed in.

I am fairly sure that wire with the suction cup on the end is the anode connector between the flyback X-former and the picture tube of an old 13" tv set. It looks like the greebly on the right top side is a brass dart head without the tip screwed in.

Are you sure they make anode suction cups that small?
All of the ones I've seen (even on my old small apple2c monitor) seem pretty big. The one in the photo is probably about an inch in diameter.

I don't think this one being plastic is too much of an issue as I don't expect we'll see it too often and I don't think it will see a lot of action. Of course it's unlikely Farnsworth would have made it from plastic so it is a bit dodgy.

May I ask why you believe that? Philo Farnsworth lived until 1971, just a month short of his 65th birthday. Considering how progressive he was, I can believe that he would use plastic, if it suit his purposes. In some ways plastic would have made it easier for him. High impact, and easier to insulate.

David.

Ya thats too small to be a high voltage rubber.

13 inch was wrong size, I can tell you with almost 100% certainty that it is off of one of these (this size, not specific brand). I used to take my dad's small TV (this model) apart almost daily when I was young and have most of the parts memorized. :lol:lol:lol

Hold off on buying anything, I am going out to visit them in a few weeks and I will pop it open to confirm my memory is good and take a pic.

search ebay for
RED SHARP SWIVEL SPACE AGE SPACE HELMET TV PANTON ERA

I personally don't like it. I think it looks gaudy and lacks the sort of authentic feel of the regular Farnsworth.

All true but then why choose a metal box for the "working" models? Also the flourishes are way out of place for the 20th century and would have much more suited a metal box and an earlier time, but hey it's a TV show.

Sure plastics have around since the late 1800's but given that the "Farnsworth" was created "just after he invented television" (patent filed in 1927) the types of plastics would have been very limited until the late 1930's. Again it's a TV show. It could be phenolic which been around since the very early 1900's.

I think the prop guy is playing with us again. LOL

ps. He died about 5 months before his birthday. (sorry I'm sick today and in a "picky" mood. Have a good day David.

May I ask why you believe that? Philo Farnsworth lived until 1971, just a month short of his 65th birthday. Considering how progressive he was, I can believe that he would use plastic, if it suit his purposes. In some ways plastic would have made it easier for him. High impact, and easier to insulate.

David.

Last edited:
This could be the box (8203).

8203-720.jpg

It has clips for the flies but it looks as though the clips are riveted to inserts which fit into the top and bottom of the box, so they might well be removable. I've asked Wheatley if any rivets go right through or if the 8210 (like the 8109) can be bought without the foam. Will post when I get a reply.

It looks like this 6" model 8109 but 8109 has the foam.

Did anyone notice in post 35 the picture showing the back.
It appears dented and have a rivet and hole or possibly 2 rivets.

It could be that one of the rivets from fly clip insert goes all the way through to hold it in place. Hopefully a reply from my message to Wheatley will help with that detail. The other hole looks like somethiing sharp pierced the box.

My reply from Wheatley regarding the "Malvern" boxes -

Hello Peter

In the 8203 box, the clips are riveted on to an aluminium plate. This plate is then riveted into the box with 4 corner rivets. These 4 rivets do go through the plastic box.

We can supply the 8210 box with no foam - basically empty.

Best regards,

Mark

I don't know how I could have missed the corner rivets as they are clearly visible in the photo I posted earlier. Anyway this is the box they can do empty (I imagine it would be the case with any of this series)

8210-720.jpg

I suppose I could have pushed my luck and asked for one with a gold rim too. LOL. Anyway hope it helps.

Last edited:
All true but then why choose a metal box for the "working" models? Also the flourishes are way out of place for the 20th century and would have much more suited a metal box and an earlier time, but hey it's a TV show.

Sure plastics have around since the late 1800's but given that the "Farnsworth" was created "just after he invented television" (patent filed in 1927) the types of plastics would have been very limited until the late 1930's. ...

Your are so right. Art Deco, heck, yes !!! Art nouveau, heck, no

DS, you going for that Art Deco style, maybe? As if Howard Hughes had his own personal Farnsworth?

Ah, what the... maybe Farnsworth had the designs already laid out when he fifteen? And those were actually small experiments...

this makes me wonder if anyone has tried to replicate the keyboard on arties computer? I believe it was made by Datamancer and he has a full how to on making them.

On the DVD Saul Ruminek said they bought it from someone that makes (and I really hate this term) steam punk keyboards.
There should be a link in the "Other W13" props thread.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back