Gone Wookie - Torment's Tarfful - full suit pics on page 4

Re: Gone Wookie - Torment's Tarfful

what size shoe do you wear? my wookiee costume has the shoe sticking out problem but i may upgrade my stilts if this is a better option lol

I normally wear a 12. I settled with a 10.5 on this one. its snug, butd id rather it be snug to my feet. This way i KNOW they are on my feet. With my toes thats why the shin pad is there. it pushes the pant away from the foot to give a more seamless transition.

I did kinda the same I usually wear 13s but went with an 11 it just depends on the shoes on size so I'll just see what I can squeeze into or maybe cut the sole off the tip of the shoes to prevent it from sticking out as much

Sorry for the long delay in updates on this. But im guessing people understand why things get so delayed with a project like this. Well I have great progress to report. I got the dread locks from Zaxmon about two weeks ago now and attached them to the head. I have been blending the hair on the dome to hide the work of attaching them. As it stands right now the whole head is covered except for the face. I am working on the face all next week. and should have it done then.

To do that I had to make a hair punching tool. I took a sewing needle and tapped a small hole into a wooden dowel I used for mixing silicone with. Then shoved the needle into the dowel by pressing it into a table. Cut the tip of the eye off with a dremmel and now I can start punching hair. After everything is punched I am going to get a spray on glue and groom and glue so it the face hairs dont move. Should cut down on grooming after each event. I have been taking progress photos but I wanna show them off all together when the head is done.

Dreds for a teaser....

download.jpg

I also did one of the feet. I dunno why, but I work from the left side to the right all the time.

Here is the left leg.

download-4.jpg

download-3.jpg

download-2.jpg

download-1.jpg

There are magnetic pocketbook clips that will attach the pants to the legs. This way the pants will stay securely in place and the hairs will blend correctly when the two pieces are together.

It's a new year and I've been stalking this and many other wookie threads building up the courage to build one myself... Any updates?

Significant but small update. Foot number two is done. Time for pants.

download-8.jpg

For the pants I think I came up with something pretty cool. I originally wanted to wear a muscle suit for shorts or something to give my legs some definition. however what I think I am gonna do is put the muscles into the suit itself. I will do the pants normally like anyone. However I will be putting the muscle pads ontop of the pants and sewing in a new netting sheet over it. This will help me keep the muscles where they belong. Cut dressing down dramatically. And ideally it should add the size I am hoping to gain in the costume. As it is I stand 6 foot 225 lbs. However I have to come off as 7'5 500ish. I am starting the pants portion this weekend, and should be getting into them in 2 weeks. Looking forward to showing the lower body off soon.

Still making progress on the suit. I still have to finish off the pants, but I have made some progress. I have to do some relatching for a bit of hair correction. I also have to groom the pants to boots meeting point. But once thats done, I think it will be pretty good to go. I know the pics are fuzzy, but thats what you get for only having a phone cam. I wanted to post up more progress since its been so long since I have.

photo2-7.jpg

photo1-5.jpg

Well I am still working away at this thing. I have to keep reinventing the wheel at every turn. This has been an amazingly challenging project that I have loved from beginning till now. Even when it frustrates the crap out of me its still an awesome project. I have been working on the head and I am in the home stretch now. All that is really left on the head is the main part of the face and believe it or not thats the easiest part of all of the face. The rest of the head presents more of a challenge due to gravity. I have been talking with Marty Miller, one of the best Chewie costumers I have seen from Carida and he has been working me through some of my mental blocks.

To face the gravity challenge I have been using contact cement. It should help cut down grooming on a majority as the hair is glued in place. There will inevitably be the random flay aways and such, but Im working on that as each troop comes. The head is gonna be heavy with the dreads and the hair. Alot heavier than I would have guessed. Unlike others who have used a mask, the dreds prevented me from doing that. SOOOOOO, it has a fiberglass head with a lot of hair on it. The whole face is dragonskin and has to be hand punched. Im going to guess millions of hairs have been used thus far and 1000's have been hand punched. Its a really slow process doing only a few hours a night, but I think it the end its gonna be worth it.

So here a two pics. One shows a frontal shot and the other has a profile...

Enjoy...

photo3-5.jpg

photo2-8.jpg

Ill post up more tonight, but im on the home stretch. The shirt is the last part of this build. I can see the end in sight now!

downsize-10.jpg

Ok well I have made some progress on this and I can see the home stretch coming in my sights. I had the shirt made for me on wednesday. Alison, my fiance, does all my sewing. However as good as she is, she hates making sleeves for shirts. She just has some sort of major block on them. So we had to come up with something that would get around her issue. Well instead of a normal style shirt, we went with a baseball style shirt. So on this kind of shirt the seams are not over the shoulders and I think makes for a better flow in regards to the hair. Of course I am only speculating, but it seems like it would be a good way to go over the traditional T. I have it as a magnetic clip up the back. This way I can slip the shirt on with out having to pull it over my head. Should make dressing a bit easier. Of course I will have to be dressed, but nearly every costume I have ever built requires me to have a ton of help.

Here is the top of the shirt...

downsize-11.jpg

Then since Thursday and on Friday I got to latching big time....

downsize-12.jpg

The last thing on my list to do is then head over to the salon. A buddy hooked me up with a hair stylist who is going to do the trimming and shaping to the suit while I wear it. Ideally this should give me a uniform look over the body. If I have to go back and add to it after the fact it should be no worries, but I thought that it should work out in my favor.

Right now I am probing my mind about wookie hands. I am thinking about making my own hands from scratch. I have some chimpanzee hands, but really they only are fingers. I may use those finger parts and add to them and make custom gloves. Im playing it out in my mind for now, but real wookie hands are something that I think is the one thing really missing out there.

This is where I am as of tonight 10:46 Jan 1

downsize-13.jpg

To be honest making the costume is not really hard as much as it is extremely time consuming until you get a rhythm. My plan at this point is to finish Tarfful in the next two weeks and then plan out 2 more wookie suits. At this point I am unsure if I will be doing Chewie or another wookie suit. Either way I will be making two of them. One for keeps the other for sale.

Great Build!

The hair is really looking great! What are you doing for a weapon? Blaster...Bowcaster?

If you do another, it has to be Chewie! There are so few good ones out there and it looks like you would make a killer Chewie!

Keep it up and remember to stop when you go cross-eyed!!!

Everything looks amazing! Great Work. Have you though about sewing foam pads in the shoulders instead of the equipment? It would be a lot lighter.

I have. THe foam would be a lot lighter, but then again Im not worried about the weight. Compared to my clones, Vader, and all the other costumes, this is quite comfortable. Plus I am using the pads as a harness for the bandolier. To give the shoulder bells the right hang, I had to stretch the bandolier a little farther than gravity likes. So I have two straps coming off the pads to hold the bandolier so it never falls off or our of place.

main_large.jpg

Your Wookie is comming along GREAT. I too have been working on mine (1 year) but as for the feet I've searched on the internet but can't find them? So Where did you get these?...

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back