Gone Wookie - Torment's Tarfful - full suit pics on page 4

Re: Gone Wookie - Torment's Tarfful

I really Like that tut on the metal fingers. I had been working on a wood hand that just wasnt as strong since it was using hinges. But I think I can combine both hands to make something really awesome. Looks like next pay check is gonna be spent already. lol

As for the other compliments thanks all around. I have more progress to show off on the belts and such, just been so busy at work and I just got engaged. So lifes been a bit busy for me. I have to re dye my belts since I think its just two light of a brown still. I will be taking my brown and mixing a bit of black into it to get a more muddy look. Then its off to final assembly. I cant wait to show it off, but there is just not enough progress to really show off something. I was pushing it just showing painted gums lol.

LOL Necro posting in my own thread....

Well I have been a busy boy lately. I finally got my project board up and well the list is rediculous.

1. Kal Skirata suit for the wedding - armor done, leather done, soft parts to go.

2. Rav Bralor suit for wedding - Armor 90% done, cod and thighs left to go. Leather done, Soft parts to go.

3. Tarfful - Bandolier 90% done, gotta do final assembly tonight or tomorrow. Hands 50 percent done, gotta get gloves and do full assembly,
Hair suit started, Stilts kinda done, they are being done by dougie fett. Head, hehe, cant wait to show this off. Muscle suit, needs to be sewed together.

4. Wookie skull - yeah i made a skull Should be able to show that off in a few days.

5. Royal Guard - helmet almost done

6. TK lid - all the body work still to go. Gotta fill in those gaps.

7. Vader Lid - still in its raw state.

8. Female Tusken - just gotta finish the shawl

9. Female Jedi General - top armor done, gotta make the micro sized forearms now for Alison. Then the soft parts are all her...

I have all this going on plus a few other side projects: Bowcaster, DL44, generic wookie parts. I think once I finish this list Im taking a break from making new stuff. I just dont have the room anymore for this stuff.

Now for good stuff, Here is a few pics of the bandolier as it stood a few hours ago. The rest of the ammo boxes have been attached and the top straps are being wet formed as I type. Then tomorrow it will be strapped all together and ready to roll out a finished belt.

This is a damn expensive piece and I built it all from scratch.

Leather - 100
Leather dyes - 35
Leather ties - 10
Leather tools - 75
Resin for all parts - 100
Mold Material costs - 100
Leather snaps - 15
Nylon for under rigging - 5
Plastic for masters of parts - 45

Total cost for this comes in just under 500 for everything when you add in glue and paint.

I dunno if I could ever make one of these for someone else, costs would be ridiculous. But here is the last pics before finishing it all.

DSC06225.jpg

DSC06224.jpg

DSC06222.jpg

:eek

That is incredible!!! I've always thought Wookie suits were amazing. I wish I were talll enough to do this. Sadly, I'm only 5'8" so I really feel my dimensions would be off greatly even with stilts to make it look plausible.

Look forward to more pictures and progress....it really is fantastical!!!! :cool:thumbsup

All I have left to do on the Bandolier is add the last of the belt boxes and the lower support strap. Then I have to finish attaching the chest and belt buckle. Other than that its just fine tuning everything. Here is where I am at as of tonight.

photo1-1.jpg

photo2-4.jpg

Belt is done. I had the glue still curing when I took this pic. so the Buckle is still clamped down. But its done.

downsize25.jpg

I used a few types. I used ecoflex for the leather. Its a brand that you can get at any leather shop. and for the plastic to leather parts barge glue. Its a type of cement glue. It will hold just about anything together.

the bead diameters are 1.4" interior.

they're a pain to make so many of them. i thought it'd be easier, but it's happening, slowly

this costume is gonna be amazing. i've really enjoyed reading it so far, can't wait to see more!!

I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out because I know it's going to be fantastic!

Thanks all sorry for lack of updates. Long story short, i became the LMO for the 501, im in the middle of a move, and got engaged. So I have been hard pressed to get my Sasquatch off the ground. Im fully in the new place in 12 days so I can resume grouping hair in a few weeks. I would like to finish the head in a months time. Wish me luck

Ok time to talk about stilts. I found something that I really thought would fit into what I was thinking. They are called High Steppers. These are light weight bucket stilts. Kinda like the ones you may have played with when you were kids. However unlike the 6 inch tall buckets these are 18 inches tall.

main_large.jpg

However 18 inches is way to tall to really be useful. 12 inches was exactly what I need to pull off the costume. However no one makes 12 inch tall stilts. So I had to cut the stilts down to the 12 inch mark. In doing this however I lost the stability of the stilts. I had to go in and reinforce the parts to make the more secure for walking on. In doing this I placed four threaded rods through the stilts giving it structural strength. i re-bolted the old bottoms to the stilt to return the spacing lip to the bottom of the stilt. Next I added two wooden dowels that i drilled trough the top of the stilt and then bolted that as well for stability. What all the bolts did was added riggitity to the stilt. The Dowels were used for the shin padding. One of the biggest issues I have is that people who use regular stilts show that their feet are on stilts as their toes act like a second knee cap. That always bothered me when looking at stilted wookies. Also since stilts only come in 15 inch heights or more, it would have been to tall to work with.

What you will see here is the cut and bolted stilts. Some padding was added to get an idea. For the sole of the feet, I used rubber car mats. They should have some durrability for wear and tear and offer a base that I can be flexible with when I added the toes. The toes as I said before are laytex toes that Droidwrangler made for me.

downsize6.jpg

Just adding the shin foam in here. its a few layers thick.

downsize4-1.jpg

A completed foot...well without hair.... The entire foot is wrapped in duct tape first. This holds the foam parts in place to the mat, stilts, and other parts.

downsize5.jpg

Now both feet together. I added the nails on this one and you can see I did an decent enough job in making them similar enough to each other. I hate to say it but wookies are more like an art rather than a science. There are a few differences between the two feet. But overall, I was happy with them. My next task is to coat the whole leg with a thin coat of laytex. This is to ensure once the hair goes ontop of this that the under parts never fall apart. When they are done, each leg will come in about 10 pounds with hair. They walk pretty well and although I dont really ever intend on doing parades with this thing, I am looking forward to wearing it once during next years SWW. I'd like to do a a whole Kashyyk scene with Randy as Gree, Angelo and Chris as Barc's, Amy as Luminara. And if all goes well. And I have a bit more time. Ill be doing a Chewie as well. All in all the components are going to come in at just about 1000 even. Hours invested however are looking to be in the 6 - 8 hundred range. Latch hooking is a burden. My tenative goal now is early October. Ok back to working on all the good stuff.

downsize7-1.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back