QMX Enterprise?

What do you expect for off the shelf parts researched and developed by the fan base, applied to a commercial styrene kit, for five thousand dollars?

Accuracy?

Are you not dazzled by the custom plaque that any one can make at a local "Things Remembered"?

Sure, I'd like it to be perfect, too. Tell you what, for Four thousand, eight hundred dollars, I can build you a dead nuts accurate Enterprise, will cook you STEAK dinner, and will mow your lawn one time. If you have no lawn, I will instead clean your bathroom with the finest chemicals money can buy (at Target). One time. BEFORE the steak dinner hits your colon. I cannot stress that last point enough.

Man if I had 5K I would so totally take you up on this :)

I'm having trouble processing this:

1. Not many have seen existing product (and therefore quality) of items that should have bene on the street for some time.

2. The cost is over 3 times (nearly 4) that of the Master Replica's TOS Enterprise (mid-tier), albeit with a bunch more electronics and potential details...my REALLY 5K??

3. After so many have lost their money on previous similar items (Unobtainium among others) they want this money up front.

4. IF the final product is actually the Polar Lights 1/350 styrene Enterprise built-up and not just being used for the mock up, well....I'll keep this opinion to myself.

5. They simply don't provide anywhere near enough details for someone who doesn't throw $100 bills into the trash for fun.

I want one, but not for $5k. Nor 4...nor 3. Below that I'd think about it.

What ARE they thinking?

Wow, just spotted this as it was top 'o the page.
The words "special delivery" and "backdoor" have never been so apt.
4K...?........ its a toy lol.

Lee

On QMx's Facebook wall, I asked, if it was true, this is the PL kit built-up? I was very careful to be respectful. It didn't matter. They still deleted it. :lol :lol :lol

Are you guys surprised?

I wouldn't want to admit that I was selling a replica that I had invested absolutely zero R&D in, either.

I wonder what Polar Lights thinks? They paid a hefty licensing fee, too, i would imagine... $5k per product seems like it has a built-in sweet-ass profit, if you ask me!

Maybe Qmx is raising capital to invest in buying their own printing press, for their paper props?

The Master Replicas TOS E was an original sculpt wasn't it? I think it was bigger then 7" tall and around $1199. You could buy four...

ship.gif
ship.gif
ship.gif
ship.gif

...and still not hit 5k.

Here's a review from a few years ago:

Review of Master Replicas Studio Scale Enterprise | TrekMovie.com

It's great business! It's breath-taking capitalism! They know their fan base "needs" these products, so why not max out the price?

Don't forget, the great thing about the internet is that with a small amount of Googling, you can almost always get the same thing, or better, for less. CultTVman and SSM sell the photoetch (Paragraphix), I know a guy that can make a killer circuit to do all those electronics, there's a taxidermy supply place for the specific pearlescent paints, and the Polar Lights kits are all over the place.

You buy all that jazz, send out a signal flare on a model board that you have money to spend, and you will get your model built for half the price, with the individual care that comes from a private commission. It's not licensed and it doesn't have an MDF base (unless you want it to, I guess), but it'll be a hum dinger of a model.

Or, you can order a licensed replica and be safe in the knowledge that you're getting something with all the bells and whistles from the add-on aftermarket, for a price that you are okay spending.

Hey, I like quality and will pay for it. I thought I was being thrifty and clever and bought a pair of Johnston and Murphy saddle shoes in January for $130 that fell apart this past month. So I went ahead and did what I should have done from the beginning, and bought a pair of $400 Alden saddle shoes, and know they will last ten years or more.

I'm sure the Qmx-built Polar Lights Enterprise is of the highest quality and will be the Alden shoe of the licensed model world. I applaud their capitalism!

This is horrible. Just horrible. If it was $1,500 I would consider it. Seriously. This would have made for the perfect substitute for missing out on the TOS Enterprise. The asking price of $5,000 is just insulting and unrealistic. $5,000 is a good downpayment on a brand new car!

Even the big time Master Replicas collectors will look away in disgust. You're better off looking for the MR TOS replica and giving the rest of the money to folks who could really use it. That way, you get an awesome replica and you come off as an awesome human being.

I pulled my kit out of the pile last night and gave it a once over - it's a long build with all the add-on stuff, but I think even with every bell and whistle, it'd be hard to get even a $3k commission for the model, in this economy. Not impossible, mind you, but the buying climate is not like it was when MR was popping out Falcons.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back