My Tron Legacy Costume Attempt

The result: (sorry for the blurry pics, my GF is not the best photographer):)

sf5.jpg
sf8.jpg
sf7.jpg

It all held up relatively well. Some of the black electrical tape was coming undone by the end of the night, but the EL remained super bright and was constantly on for over 6hrs and I haven't changed the batts yet!
sf0.jpg

I powered the entire suit with one 12v inverter using 8 AA batteries.
sf9.jpg

As you can see, I still need to finish the donuts and complete the entire back half of the suit.

Once I have the undersuit finished I'll begin sculpting the actual armor for my 2.0 version!

Thanks for all the info on the electrical tape. I have more emblems on my PUMA boots. Great Ideas! Awesome execution.

What a fantastic job! The lighting looks superb and the costume looks like it fits beautifully. Bravo!

Out of curiousity, where did you get that print-out sheet of the full costume? Or did you make that yourself? I was considering drawing up on for Quorra, but I wasn't sure if there was a site that already had it drawn up.

Can't wait to see Soulinertia 2.0! :cool

*Update: So I wasn't able to complete the undersuit in time for Halloween. But I decided to get a Tron costume put together regardless. I was in a mad rush to get this done as I procrastinated until the final hrs. Here are the results after 10hrs of labor.

I'll still be continuing this project until I reach perfection, or at least a replica suit that is satisfactory in my eyes. And I have pretty high standards for this project!

I used actordiver's technique of overlaying electrical tape over the EL tape. (y) (thanks for the inspiration!) Here are the strips I used for the legs:
sf1.jpg

I laid out each strip on my motorcycle jacket and a pair of leather pants. I didn't want to modify the jacket permanently as I actually use it when I go out riding, so this was another reason for the electrical tape.
sf13.jpg

My Sidi vertigo air boots came in handy as well. Again, just a temporary solution so I covered all of the emblems and logos in electrical tape.
sf4.jpg

I used these clamps to connect the wires to each piece. They worked like a charm and held up all night! No soldering, gluing, taping or drilling required.
sf2.jpg

All ready to be taped down and wired up!
sf3.jpg

GREAT JOB!!! Looks fantastic!! Glad to see everyone having fun. I would also add that Black GAFFERS tape it even better than black electrical tape. Gaff tape is easy to rip, doesn't reflect light, and is supper sticky. I havn't had any come off yet.

I just started designing my TL suit. The thing i am having the most difficulty with is the armor. I can see how it based off of motocross armor. What i want to know is how to make it, and what is it made out of? It looks like a kind of plastic or rubber, but I'm not sure. The best information i have gotten is from Tron Legacy: Light Suit Costume | Clothes on Film

Gaffers tape is great idea. i here it leaves no sticky residues too.
Also i am interested in the hex pattern fabric it looks fantastic!!!

Can't wait to see this done! I am learning something new every time i come back to look at this thread. Also getting my hands on some of that material would be awesome too XD. Do you know if there is stuff already made with that pattern on it? I am trying to do my costume all by hand so as not to buy items off other people that are pre-made.

sweetness im glad to see that there are other people out there working on tron costumes other than me! just for a helpful tip (my costumes different so im not sure if it will work for yours) but i am working on a rinzler/tron costume and the best thing ive found to use is craft foam covered in glue ALOT of times. that means atleast 5-6 layers if you want it absolutley perfect. and then spray paint it black and cover it in plasti dip (i think is what its called i have to go pick some up at home depot before i can finish the suit) anyway just a tip if you were wondering how to make the armor on the costumes! but as i can, it looks like your covered! good luck!

If you guys are using EL Tape + Electrical Tape combo here then how are you getting the EL Tape to make those angles. Example being the chest lights on the jacket? I just haven't gotten my head around that. This would help me in my questions for a Tron costume of my own.

GREAT JOB!!! Looks fantastic!! Glad to see everyone having fun. I would also add that Black GAFFERS tape it even better than black electrical tape. Gaff tape is easy to rip, doesn't reflect light, and is supper sticky. I havn't had any come off yet.
where does one get gaffers tape?

If you guys are using EL Tape + Electrical Tape combo here then how are you getting the EL Tape to make those angles. Example being the chest lights on the jacket? I just haven't gotten my head around that. This would help me in my questions for a Tron costume of my own.

My EL Tape is 1.25" thick, so I was able to create the smaller angles with the electrical tape just by laying it over the strips of EL. As for the chest portion, I overlaid two strips of EL tape at different angles so they intersect right at the bend. Hope that makes sense.

I am very intrigued by your progress!! Looking great so far.

Where are you in Colorado? I have a prop and costume shop in Loveland. You can see some of the stuff we have done at Far Away Creations If you are close I would love to meet up and talk props and costumes :) ... perhaps even contribute to the tron costume project. We are actually preparing to go to Albuquerque Comic Con and will set up a booth there so we'll be tearing apart our gallery this weekend.

Either way, I will keep watching your progress!

Take care,
Cal

My EL Tape is 1.25" thick, so I was able to create the smaller angles with the electrical tape just by laying it over the strips of EL. As for the chest portion, I overlaid two strips of EL tape at different angles so they intersect right at the bend. Hope that makes sense.

Interesting! Makes sense what you did I'm just surprised, and pleasantly so, that it looks so seamless on the chest even though it's two strips laying over one another. Thank you so much for your reply.

I am very intrigued by your progress!! Looking great so far.

Where are you in Colorado? I have a prop and costume shop in Loveland. You can see some of the stuff we have done at Far Away Creations If you are close I would love to meet up and talk props and costumes :) ... perhaps even contribute to the tron costume project. We are actually preparing to go to Albuquerque Comic Con and will set up a booth there so we'll be tearing apart our gallery this weekend.

Either way, I will keep watching your progress!

Take care,
Cal

Very cool stuff Cal, I'd love to stop in and check out your shop sometime! :thumbsup I'm located east of Denver.

The fabric is kind of on the back burner right now while I get these disc kits out. I'll post an update once it is available!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back