Mass Effect 2 N7 Armor Builds

This looks great. Any thoughts on building Cerberus armor or maybe the new Kestrel armor? There are quite a few cool variations in ME2 to choose from.

I hope you make some of the weapons to go with it!

I have some Nerfs that I plan to mod along the lines of what Kommissar shows here just for quickies before D*C. I might also try to knock out a PeP or two if I have time. If anyone has Pep's of the ME weapons please post or message me a link.

Any thoughts on building Cerberus armor or maybe the new Kestrel armor?

Was thinking about making some Blue Suns sets. And possibly Sentry or Archon Visors. (wanting strongly to avoid helmet hair syndrome this time around)

Male Day 5: Shoulders and biceps finished. Cut and prepped LED light covers but still need to glue them in place. On the Male LED covers, rather than using a semi opaque white tubing and then staining it the correct color, I found some transparent aqua colored tubing which looks much better. I'll probably go back and replace the ones on the Female Armor to match.

Tomorrow, forearm and hand armor.

dsc01869a.jpg

the more i see your work the more inspired i feel to find some of those mats and take a dremmel to them!

thanks for the mention by the way :)

Male Day 6: Forearms and hand armor finished. I had hoped to get more completed tonight, but alas not everything turns out right on the first attempt. I made my forearm patterns about 1/2 inch to narrow and only realized it after cutting them out and having them almost put together. I ended up starting over completely which cost me a few hours, but the second set turned out looking much better.

Both suits are now approximately 40% complete. From here on I will be working on both suits at the same time.

dsc01870a.jpg

I know you said you use a Dremel for your detail lines, but I was curious what you used to cut the basic shapes out of the EVA foam (before presumably sanding the edges with a Dremel). I apologize if this has already been answered, I tried to look for it, but couldn't find the answer. So I hope I haven't overlooked it.

This seriously looks absolutely fantastic. I really can't get over it. I'm tempted to say I need to build with this material now, but it's clear that in the hands of someone clearly as skilled as you are, it's bound to look easier than it really is.

Keep up the amazing work. I can't wait to see how this turns out!

-Nick

Very nice. BTW, another trick for getting straps and buckles is to check out the sporting goods section. I can buy a set of two straps and buckles designed to hold a sleeping bag rolled up at Wal-Mart for cheaper than I can buy one of the equivalent buckle (with no strap) at Hancock Fabrics.

I know you said you use a Dremel for your detail lines, but I was curious what you used to cut the basic shapes out of the EVA foam (before presumably sanding the edges with a Dremel). I apologize if this has already been answered, I tried to look for it, but couldn't find the answer. So I hope I haven't overlooked it.

I use a Hobby/Craft Hot Knife like this The heated blade cuts the foam pretty easily, but yes, I still sand all my edges no matter how clean the cuts.

More detailed info is posted on my N7 Armor Blog.

Just out of curiosity....
what kind of material are you using for the woven fiber-under-suit?
I have this weird thing (or maybe you could call it accuracy obsession, lol)... where the under-suit has to be just as accurate/well done as the stuff above it...
I guess I'm just wondering if you're paying as much attention to the 'soft parts' as you are the armor.

P.S. And if you haven't found anything like that, or had plans for your under-suit, I have a suggestion that I was eying for my future self I'd like to share with you if you're interested :)

Just out of curiosity....
what kind of material are you using for the woven fiber-under-suit?
I have this weird thing (or maybe you could call it accuracy obsession, lol)... where the under-suit has to be just as accurate/well done as the stuff above it...
I guess I'm just wondering if you're paying as much attention to the 'soft parts' as you are the armor.

P.S. And if you haven't found anything like that, or had plans for your under-suit, I have a suggestion that I was eying for my future self I'd like to share with you if you're interested :)

ATM I plan to get front zipping, turtle neck unitards and then make stencils of the woven pattern and airbrush it onto the fabric. Love to hear any other ideas though.

ATM I plan to get front zipping, turtle neck unitards and then make stencils of the woven pattern and airbrush it onto the fabric. Love to hear any other ideas though.

Well, I had spotted it in Joanns'. Basically it's a vinyl upholstery fabric with a solid, printed, "wicker" 3d texture.
They have it in black and brown... and from what I recall it had a bit of (2way) stretch to it.

Here is a picture of it.
It is available on the Joann's website for like $40/yd, however I remember it being on clearance IN STORE for more like $16/yd (at my local Joann's).

Being that it is an upholstery vinyl, I wouldn't recommend making a whole suit out of the stuff... however it 'resembles' the woven black texture on the N7 armor and you could use it solely in the exposed areas.
xprd358248_z.jpg

Someone pointed out that exact material to me on another forum. It does look really close, but two things turn me off about it. First I'm afraid it wouldn't breath well enough. The foam is insanely lightweight, but its a sweat box. I want to stay as accurate looking as possible but I'm willing to sacrifice a little for comfort. Especially if I'm going to be wearing this for an extended period of time. (and no doubt drinking heavily) The other is the cost. Even at sale price the materials cost for the under suit would be almost more than the armor itself.

.....Not to mention that sewing is my costuming "Achilles' heel". lol

Someone pointed out that exact material to me on another forum. It does look really close, but two things turn me off about it. First I'm afraid it wouldn't breath well enough. The foam is insanely lightweight, but its a sweat box. I want to stay as accurate looking as possible but I'm willing to sacrifice a little for comfort. Especially if I'm going to be wearing this for an extended period of time. (and no doubt drinking heavily) The other is the cost. Even at sale price the materials cost for the under suit would be almost more than the armor itself.

.....Not to mention that sewing is my costuming "Achilles' heel". lol

Well..., one thing I might mention is that if you... for instance, used a lycra bodysuit (catsuit, zentai suit, etc) as a base, and ONLY used the upholstery material in areas that are exposed from underneath the armor, you would still have plenty of breathing area, and that would cut down on the cost of the material. Realistically, you could get away with doing 1 suit with at MOST 2 yds.
Also worth mentioning, if you used a base lycra suit (which it appears you already have) There is something available in most fabric stores called a "fusible web". This is a mesh of glue that is used in between two different fabric materials in order to glue, or bond them together. If you're uncomfortable with sewing, this is the method I recommend for people to layer materials because it doesn't cause your material to become stiff. It still stretches with both sides.

IMO, I'd say it's worth it to check it out, maybe at least get a sample to play with. Otherwise I'll keep my eyes out for a similar fabric, but that was the closest I've seen to something that I would use... so far.

Just like on my Guyver suits, since its form fitted to fit me perfectly the parts that don't have armor are really the only places that will have any air exposure. Even just piecing it I'm afraid would block those areas off and make it too hot. I got lots of experience being a monkey in a suit working for ADV/Anime Network as the Guyver. The only thing that saved me on them 8-10 hour days in costume was the plain Lycra/spandex areas in between. lol

Day 20: Now working on both Male and Female costumes together. Total build time so far for both suits combined is 20 days.

Upper leg armors almost finished. Still have to add the buckles, strapping and a little more detailing.

Female:
dsc01873a.jpg

Male:
dsc01879a.jpg

I'm assuming you mean the belt retainers on the hips. To hold the belt in position I needed something more substantial than foam as that would wear or rip over time. I modified and used these. (spearmint flavored tho, lol)

342345.jpg

I put slits in either side so the belt will slide through the inside of the case.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back