Substitue for Plaster of Paris?

mattd43

Hey guys, well I made my first ever successful negative head mold last night and plan on pouring soon. However, what I have to pour the positive is a type of plaster of paris. Now, I've had some experience with plaster of paris, i even made a teeth cast and it breaks easy. I'm planning on being able to model prothstetics on this so I need a stronger material. Preferably some that I can pick up at a lowes or walmart. Suggestions?

i hope your not serious on molding prothstetics :/
That isn't a thing you just wanto do for fun. It has to be ergonomic and user friendly. Most prothstetics are designed by people who have the knowhow, programs, machines, products to do this.

if your in the U.S. you would be better to use hydrocal or ultracal stone better yet urethane plastic or fibreglass (what we tend to use in the u.k.) also there some realy hard dental stones out there like dentstone k.d , diekeen etc

If you just want something cheap and hard you can give me a call :lol

No no I meant to say I'd use mortar mix and mix it up sloppy wet, that way you will get the smoothest possible surface. Agitate it with a stick like you would use a float to bring moisture to the surface and force out air bubbles.

This will most likely ruin your mold so if you want more than one you may have to take a cast for each head you want to make.

Also this stuff is heavy so you may want to do this a little at a time, so not to warp or brake your mold. Don't forget to paint the inside of your mold with a waterproof coating so the moisture doesn't soak into your mold and turn it into mush.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back