Scott Pilgrim Shirts and Costume Thread

I may do a Rock Band Bass and Sharpie shirt run, pending prices and everything. I might need more screencaps of both shirts to finalize.

More designs :)

A more accurate skull from Todd's shirt

A more accurate Gideon logo

and a design inspired by a shirt worn by Edgar Wright in an interview that has the sketch of Ramona in blue and magenta (obviosuly references to her hair)

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that skull design one of the earlier "Punisher" skulls? I swear, it looks a little bit like it.

It's similar, but the design is lifted straight out of the books.
v3pre_title.gif

I guess it's possible O'Malley was inspired by the Punisher skull (especially since there's so many geeky references in the books.)

Hey guys, figured this would be the place to ask about this, if anywhere! I'm making a Ramona costume or two and I really want to make her mallet/hammer/what have you impressive. Does anyone have any ideas on how to go about it? It's all blue sky right now.

Here's some ref pics:
12844649799351.jpg

1284457117202.jpg

On another note, I really feel like doing some screen printing. Anybody interested in a run of some of the shirts in particular? I have a friend who basically wants them all hahaha..

I'm just looking for any shirt, too. As it stands right now I have the Match Pik, Plumtree, Pixel Skull shirts. I'm on Risu's run of the SP Heart, and am gonna screenprint a CBC logo shirt some time this week.

So pretty much for anything else, I'm game.

As I've said before, I'd probably be in for a run of the SARS shirt.

As for the hammer, I'd say definitely pep the head of it, and you might be able to find the brass end cap in some form in the plumbing section of Home Depot. The handle you could make from a wooden dowel of about 1 3/4" diameter. You could probably attach it to a power drill on one end to make it spin and cut the grooves in with a file.

As for the hammer, I'd say definitely pep the head of it, and you might be able to find the brass end cap in some form in the plumbing section of Home Depot. The handle you could make from a wooden dowel of about 1 3/4" diameter. You could probably attach it to a power drill on one end to make it spin and cut the grooves in with a file.

I agree with this statement, but alhonestly for the hammer head itself I'd use foam and paint it. It will be extremely lightweight and Im pretty sure thats how they made it for the movie. In the first pic you posted it even has a foam texture to it.

I just took another look at it, I hadn't noticed that bulge in the handle right at the base, that makes things a little bit different. A makeshift lathe won't work so well for the amount of work it would need to be one solid piece of wood. You could make it 2 separate pieces though.

I agree about the foam, I've just never tried to paint the stuff and can't give any advice on that process. Are there any good pictures of the back end of the handle?

As I've said before, I'd probably be in for a run of the SARS shirt.

The cap at the top of the hammer head doesn't appear to be brass but rather the other end of the wooden handle, much like an old school axe or pick handle that passes through the body of the hammer itself.

If you have access to a lathe, I would recommend picking up a 36" double bit axe handle. Unlike the standard curved axe handles, they're pretty much straight. You could then round out and add the grooves to the upper half of the handle. Plus, they cost around $10-15.
Link Handle 140-04 "Double Bit" Axe Handle 36"
36" Wood Double Bit Axe Handle

Using foam to build the head seems to be the best choice given cost and weight. Also, since the head is taller than the upper end of an axe handle, you could saw off the upper most inch and insert it into the other end of the foam hammer head to create the illusion that it passes all the way through.

I don't think that axe handle would be long enough, and a dowel would be cheaper anyway. Also, I believe that is a brass cap, like these leather tooling hammers I use at work:

Tandy Leather Factory - Al Stohlman Brand 1 lb. Mallet

(the one at work has a smooth brass cap that looks almost exactly like the screen grab)

How large are standard commercial wood lathes? We've got a metal lathe in our shop, but it can only hold bars a foot long. Would you need to find a place that makes furniture for a lather big enough for the handle? (about 4 feet?)

I sketched out a quick pic of all the T-shirts Scott wears in the movie. (There's one I've missed though as I couldn't get a decent enough screen grab of it. It's a pinkish shirt with a cartoon face on it. Anyone else get a decent shot of it?)

These pics are not supposed to be screen accurate by any means and some of the colours may be a little off due to my PC, so please no pointing out my inaccuracies! They're just to represent all the designs. I thought it would be a good starting point for anyone wanting to see all the shirts together.

Working on another pic to show the wristbands and trainers along with the shirts, as all the outfits are colour co-ordinated. Even though he dresses like a slacker he still seems to take the time to colour match all his clothes!

Thanks Setzer!

That just about covers all the Scott Pilgrim t-shirt designs from the movie then. Here's an updated pic showing some of the colour co-ordinated wristbands and trainers he pairs with them. (Can't always see what shoes he's wearing with each outfit but here's the ones you do see. And he only wears wristbands when he's playing with the band.) Again, not screen accurate, but just to show them all together.

ScottPilgrimt-shirtsetc.jpg

Now lets see if we can produce them all before the shops beat us to it and start charging a fortune for them!

Here's a Gideon Graves t-shirt I knocked up in about 10 minutes using some iron-on material. Not a masterpiece but it was fine for the night I wanted to wear it. I'll spend more time on the next one.

GGG.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back