Scott Pilgrim Shirts and Costume Thread

From what I can tell just by eyeballing it, it's just 2 colors with the thin artwork being the same color green as the collar and sleeve rings. I don't know what you could say the other color is, maybe a really, really light blue? As far as the heart on the sleeve goes, I don't believe there is one. As far as the bruising goes, from what I can tell I think it's spots where some of the light blue ink has started to come off and is revealing the green underneath to give it that "worn" look.

You can kind of see it on the movie poster:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_eP-TQH6Wb...t+Movie+Poster+-+An+epic+of+epic+epicness.jpg

EDIT: Confirmed that it doesn't have a heart on either sleeve based on the poster for the right, and this photo for the left: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4140/4863317528_f4fa29afe4_b.jpg

MORE EDITS!: I might do a run of the CBC logo shirt depending on how mine comes out. My friend has a screenprinting kit, and I think I found the right colored ringer over at Old Navy. I'll let all of ye know.

Last edited:
OK, thanks. If anybody has any reference material for the SP logo, please send it my way. I could only find 2 pictures of it on google images and neither of them is all that great.

Dunno if you saw this one:

scott-pilgrim-smashingpumpkins.jpg

Now that I see this one, I'm thinking the whole heart was printed first in green and then the lighter color was printed over that because it's looking like it's the ink showing through and not the fabric. Were you looking more for color references or just size/shape reference?

Both. And looking at that picture I'm almost positive now that it's not screen printed, but transferred. I got pricing for the screening today, still need to work out what the totals will be with shipping of the shirts, but if we're not doing screen printing that point is mute. I'll give them a call and see what they charge for transfers.

On the plus side, transfers means no minimum order of 24 shirts.

OK, scratch what I just said, my screening guy just got back to me after I sent him that photo and he said it's definitely screened. The smudging/color change can be done with half tones.

So I've got the prices all figured out, I'll post an interest thread in a couple minutes.

OK, scratch what I just said, my screening guy just got back to me after I sent him that photo and he said it's definitely screened. The smudging/color change can be done with half tones.

So I've got the prices all figured out, I'll post an interest thread in a couple minutes.

I was really interested in reproducing this shirt as well, to the point of buying one of the originals on eBay:

Scott Pilgrim Film Prop Shirt RARE Item - eBay (item 120611552164 end time Aug-27-10 07:28:12 PDT)

The shirt is actually American Apparel, presumably this one [edit: the linked shirt isn't actually American Apparel, though the original still is]:

Oops! A problem has occurred with your request! - CustomInk.com

Here is a scan of the front of the shirt (I can provide higher quality if needed):

spheart.jpg

Finally, it should be noted that a similar shirt is commercially available, and hasn't been linked yet:

Official The Smashing Pumpkins Heart Ringer T-Shirt, The Smashing Pumpkins t-shirts and T-Shirts, official merchandise from the undead : debug :

I hope this doesn't derail your attempt to more exactly reproduce the shirt, as I'm quite interested in that as well, and will ping you about that separately.

Last edited:
Also of note, all of Scott's shoes (and at least some of Neal's) appear to be of the Adidas Superstar II variety. These can be found on Amazon (or anywhere, really), albeit with a couple of conspicuous Adidas logos on them.

A couple more details about the original SP heart shirt:

It's a size medium, with the heart measuring roughly 4 3/4" wide and 8 7/8" tall (though there's no clear rectangle to measure).

The primary heart color is almost a reflective silver, which surprised me a bit. The hint of blue doesn't really become apparent until photographing or scanning it. The green of the heart is almost identical to the green rings of the shirt. If anything, the heart is a teensy bit darker.

It doesn't have the same wear patterns as the one in the movie. In fact, the movie itself is a bit inconsistent here: the shirt at the beginning looks a bit more worn in the logo area than the one at the end which is a bit more tattered around the collar. My best guess is that my particular shirt was a spare, perhaps left over from a mandatory run of 24 :).

Last edited:
Thanks! Very useful stuff. The Pumpkins shirt would be great if it didn't have the band name on the back. I'll be replying to your PM in a minute.

Sorry for the double post, but thought this was significant for a "bump."

But I'm home now, so here are the High Res files:
Thanks for the hi res. I've enlarged the SP image to the size that I need to transfer it on to my shirt with my YuDu, though I have yet to use this thing. Can anyone offer any tips on how to do a two-color design with a screen printer? Any help would be appreciated, cheers.

For two colors you'll have to make two screens. First one with the backing green heart shape, then another that'll go over it with the silver part, with the lettering cut out.

Has anyone been able to find a place to buy the plain green SP ringer shirt from American Apparel yet? It's definitely a part of the melange ringer line:

http://bagrepublic.net/corporate/images/M434.jpg

However, every shirt i've seen so far, in the men's style, has had a plain trim along the sleeves, unlike the SA shirt which has a green trim. This seems to be the correct shirt from AA, however I haven't been able to find any place that's selling it:

http://www.vintagevantage.com/images/photos/products/mediumphoto/1801_4.jpg

If someone can find a place that sells that shirt, that'll be the correct shirt to print the SP heart logo onto and make a pretty nice reproduction, perhaps a better shirt to use than the one being printed onto already.

The one made by Canvas is almost definitely rebranded by AA to sell in their stores. I'm confident it's the exact same shirt.

Has anyone been able to find a place to buy the plain green SP ringer shirt from American Apparel yet? It's definitely a part of the melange ringer line:

http://bagrepublic.net/corporate/images/M434.jpg

However, every shirt i've seen so far, in the men's style, has had a plain trim along the sleeves, unlike the SA shirt which has a green trim. This seems to be the correct shirt from AA, however I haven't been able to find any place that's selling it:

http://www.vintagevantage.com/images/photos/products/mediumphoto/1801_4.jpg

If someone can find a place that sells that shirt, that'll be the correct shirt to print the SP heart logo onto and make a pretty nice reproduction, perhaps a better shirt to use than the one being printed onto already.

For the record, I'm not 100% convinced that the American Apparel shirt is simply a rebranded Canvas shirt, but it still appears to be a very close match. If anyone can find an AA variant for sale, I'll order one of each and compare. But the way things stand now, the only option is to proceed with the Canvas shirt.

I agree, I'm not 100% on board with the shirt being Canvas. If the original shirt says AA on it, i'm going to be looking for an AA shirt. Surely it's out there as the costume department found one to print the logo onto. Unless it can be confirmed that the Canvas shirt is the exact same as the AA one, there's someone out there that has a few of the SA ringer shirts to sell.

I thought the "Lame Brand" logo from Sex Bob-omb's amps would make a funny shirt design so I took a swing at.

I'm fine with canvas shirts as long as they have the same fit as the AA ones. If the canvas one's come too big or too small or shrink a ton, i'd like to find the AA ones. If Canvas is reliable as far as quality goes, I'm on board for Canvas.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back