Second Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver

Blue actually and I have no idea yet but, thing is with the low res, the shininess of the plastic and the fact that the show was in black and whit there's no reason to believe the sonic didn't have that there anyway.

EDIT: OR that this flashlight may have been offered in other colors than this. This is a pic of a single example I could find so far. I don't have enough info yet.

Definitely. I was just thinking 'out loud' as it were. :cool

Definitely. I was just thinking 'out loud' as it were. :cool

Oh I hear ya...getitgetit? :D

Anyway it's the best lead i have. Made in the 1960's, the person that owns it is from England, it has most of the features I can spot on the prop though there's not much to compare it to and on top of that Varta Mooneye posted earlier looks a lot like this Eveready here:

Eveready Flashlight - Nickel Penlight - Model No. 2682 (c. 1916)

and here:

http://www.flashlightmuseum.com/Misc-Unknown-Flashlight-Nickel-Plated-Pen-Light-2AA-1931

It's possible that Varta and Eveready had a similar model from the 1960's but I haven't been able to find a Varta like this yet so this Eveready is as close as I've gotten so far.

EDIT: Second link was wrong XD

Last edited:
Make the knurled front end and the pocket clip brass and that would be so Steampunk people would faint. :thumbsup

Oddly enough that's not too hard to do since many examples of that one have the chrome worn off and the brass underneath completely exposed. Could probably remove the chrome with something like Simplegreen or this purple engine degreaser that takes vacuum chrome off like acid.

Make the knurled front end and the pocket clip brass and that would be so Steampunk people would faint. :thumbsup

Nice! I may just if I get something like that.

Some of that model of light use the pocket clip as a contact switch as well so that would be pretty cool. Only issue I could see, is the bulb. It's not behind a lens but IS the lens and is a rather flat shape...well, at least on the ones O found anyway.

Got a date for that sonic nailed down folks. Seems it was made from around 1965-ish through the 70's so, it matches with the correct year this light would have needed to be made. Still working on getting a picture of the bulb end. if THAT looks right, I think we'll have a great candidate for the 2nd Doctors sonic. I'm just waiting to hear back on a picture from the owner. I'm also trying to see if he can help me find one...hell I don't care if it's in rough shape even, i can get it re-chromed XD

UGH! Stupid double posting POS! Some days i really hate using the work computer XP Oh well, at least i can edit the double post to just be a reply XD

And yes, it's better to work with you guys on this than to fight about it, hell a good argument on the case as to what light this is is better than a peeing contest. XD Even regardless of that the light may still very well have been a Varta version of this light. Like I said, Ever Ready and Varta shared many of the same styles of lights. At the very least though, we'll have a better starting point with this Ever Ready.

Last edited:
Well, had some news today. I found out that the coloured end of 2nd Doctors sonic was indeed Blue. Confirmed to me by Mr Frazer Hines himself. :)

Which in turn confirms & backs up Strakers excellent research. All we need now is someone to find a boxfull hidden away at the back of a warehouse somewhere!

Last edited:
Well, had some news today. I found out that the coloured end of 2nd Doctors sonic was indeed Blue. Confirmed to me by Mr Frazer Hines himself. :)

Which in turn confirms & backs up Strakers excellent research. All we need now is someone to find a boxfull hidden away at the back of a warehouse somewhere!

Well that is awesome news! Now if only I could FIND one. :cry

This thread is very interesting, I would very much like to add a 2nd Doctor sonic screwdriver to my collection.
I shall have to follow up some of the leads and ideas.
If I get anywhere I'll post the results.

Starting looking at this atfter reading the thread and was pleasantly surprised that there were some promising options out there.

I have found two possibles on eBay...
Diagnostic Medical Pen Light Penlight Flashlight Torch | eBay
and
Sealey AK6507 - LED Penlight Torch 2 x AAA | eBay

On Amazon I then found...
Valuemed Metal Examination Pen Light (New Blue case units now shipping): Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors
and
Technoline Pen Light Silver: Amazon.co.uk: Lighting

The hardest part is finding ones where the LED/lamp is prominent as in the photos at the start of the thread.
But some look promising and low cost so I might give them a closer look.

I'll have to see if I can get the barcodes tomorrow but there are some ostoscopes that look similar when you remove the head.

I got this penlight as it looked sort of ok, and I was interested in seeing just how good it was.
It is made by a company called Sealey and i got it off eBay.

As a first go, it is ok, and ticks some of the boxes. By this I mean it is silver in colour and has the LED light at the end which protrudes slightly.
The pocket clip easily comes off, so depending on personal preference its a nice slick 'clean' tube or it has the clip.

On the downside however the tip has two design features that in hindsight make it a less than perfect prop replica.
1. The tip has too much of a visible cone shape to be a perfect match.
2. The tip is chrome finish and the rest of the unit is not, so it has a two tone style look.
One other annoyance is that the recycling info is engraved rather than being a label, but that is fairly easy to ignore.

So I will keep this (if nothing else its a pretty decent penlight) until one of my other possible penlights gives better results.
Just thought I wold update people on my findings.

Thaks for the update. Wonder if CO will make a version of this? I quite like the rasping sound this sonic used to make. Very different from the SFX used now.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back