Second Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver

Is that the same penlight throughout the series? That shot from The War Games looks like the tip is slanted in both of the pic's :confused. It is definitely flat in the pic's earlier in the thread.

Is that the same penlight throughout the series? That shot from The War Games looks like the tip is slanted in both of the pic's :confused. It is definitely flat in the pic's earlier in the thread.

I think we're seeing the protruding bulb.

Terrasolo,

Nice job with the screen grabs! That helps a lot. About how far into the episode is that scene? I'm going to try to take a look at it myself too.

-----Drew

Thanks!

I think it was about 6:30 into episode six, but I am not home now to double check myself :/ You'd think I would know the time exactly since I must have played it a 100 times today. If you haven't found it by the time I can double check, I'll post the time code here.

Not very pretty, but here's a couple of pages of caps (large JPGs).

http://www.propaholics.wolfchasers.com/uploader/users/ToothTech/War_Games_sonic_1.jpg
http://www.propaholics.wolfchasers.com/uploader/users/ToothTech/War_Games_sonic_2.jpg

I took a ton a year or so ago, and there's not much difference than the other caps posted, just... more :lol

I compiled these in a bit of a rush, I'll check through and see if I can find any better caps as time allows.

The last 3 pics on page 2 are either Troughton removing the sonic from his pocket or putting it back, I don't remember which. Whatever he's doing, it looks like he was in a hurry and didn't use the pocket clip.

i have new info re the 2nd Drs Sonic, the prop was a silver penlight, 'Varta' brand from the sixties. I can't take the credit for the info, but this guy is rarely wrong.

If it works have downloaded a picture of 1 which was for sale a while ago on ebay for 65 Quid starting price!

Hmmm...as much as I'd like to believe that it's been found, I just can't see that penlight in any of the existing 'caps.

The bulb end seems not only dimensionally wrong to the famous pistol shot 'cap, but the knurled edge cannot be seen in it either.

Also, in the new caps posted above, there is no evidence of it being a two piece unit like the one you've posted. The clip and end don't appear to match either.

I'm not denying the possibility, or your source. The existing 'caps do suck. I am just listing the things that jump out at first glance.

Last edited:
i have new info re the 2nd Drs Sonic, the prop was a silver penlight, 'Varta' brand from the sixties. I can't take the credit for the info, but this guy is rarely wrong.

If it works have downloaded a picture of 1 which was for sale a while ago on ebay for 65 Quid starting price!

Yeah I'm afraid if it's a Varta it's not that particular model. That knurled ridge on the tip isn't on the screen caps we have. I've been looking at vintage Varta's too but haven't found the right model yet.

EDIT: I DO have a few leads based on that screen cap though so I'll keep you posted.

Last edited:
Sorry Guys, was showing the type of Pen, yeah your right does look different. Also found other examples. One was rather rusty too. Can't wait for your updated news Straker.

OK, so looking around at some flashlight forums I...stop laughing! People have all sorts of hobbies. XD Anyway, it turns out that Varta shared flashlight designs with several other brands such as Eveready so branching out I found a forum where there is a picture of a flashlight made by Eveready that looks a lot like the one in the stills BUT...I need to get some pictures of what the end looks like up close before I confirm it. Once I get some pictures from the user I'll post them to you guys. I'm also going to TRY to secure one of them if I think it matches and show you guys.

OK, so looking around at some flashlight forums I...stop laughing! People have all sorts of hobbies. XD Anyway, it turns out that Varta shared flashlight designs with several other brands such as Eveready so branching out I found a forum where there is a picture of a flashlight made by Eveready that looks a lot like the one in the stills BUT...I need to get some pictures of what the end looks like up close before I confirm it. Once I get some pictures from the user I'll post them to you guys. I'm also going to TRY to secure one of them if I think it matches and show you guys.

Quit....teasing...ME!!!

Quit....teasing...ME!!!

No, THAT isn't teasing you...this is:

ou7f4k.jpg

*tee hee hee*

Fixed! :thumbsup Good luck Straker.

I'm curious...does that green plastic end come off?

Blue actually and I have no idea yet but, thing is with the low res, the shininess of the plastic and the fact that the show was in black and whit there's no reason to believe the sonic didn't have that there anyway.

EDIT: OR that this flashlight may have been offered in other colors than this. This is a pic of a single example I could find so far. I don't have enough info yet.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back