Second Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver

Nice! I experienced the same joy when Silver Nemesis came on screen in front of me for the first time and I saw the digital watch inside the pocket watch prop they made for Sylvester McCoy was the same digital watch I had on my wrist.

Holy CRAP, guys. I just stumbled across this thread. How old are those gem lights, anyways?

I'm bugging right now. My dad's had this penlight for AGES, probably at LEAST 20 years if not longer. And it is still in fabulous shape. The pushbutton tip on the gemlight, does it screw down into itself, locking the light on? And on the main body of the light, above the clip, is there a slanted spiral groove making three lines where you see both tips and a middle line (a double line if you can't see the end of it)?

I can't tell you how often I've looked at this and wondered if it were a prop, like the imperial code cylinders. So much, in fact, I kept it when my parents got divorced 17 years ago.. I'm absolutely gobsmacked right now. Right under my nose, all my life.. :lol

1602213.jpeg

(Oh, and the thing is absolutely straight/parallel, the taper is a trick of the light and perspective.)

That's the one!

I too just stumbled across this thread. And having found it I decided I had to go ahead and order the gem grading penlight from FindingKing. I figure my wife can use it to grade gemstones and I can use it for more...um,..."important" things. It should arrive soon.

My wife and kids and I have been watching classic episodes of Doctor Who lately during the break in the current season. Mostly 1st Doctor stories so far. But I think when the penlight arrives I'll sit everyone down to watch "The War Games" and when the 2nd Doctor whips out the original sonic screwdriver I'll break out my new penlight.

Yeah I picked up one of those recently too.
I cleaned the paint off with acetone...worked great...

And a quick way to polish metal and resin is to use a 3 way nail buffer...
Do all 3 steps and it will have a mirror shine.

("Hmmm we seem to be selling an awful lot of those pen light all of a sudden...")

My devious mind is now wondering if it would be possible to rig up a sonic screwdriver this small with sound. Now that would be cool.

Could be possible. Swap out the two AA or AAA batteries for a more compact powersource and then it is just a matter of swiping the sound system from one of the toys and fitting it in.

HyperdyneLabs made a sound system tiny enough to fit inside this and I'm sure the internal diameter is less than inside that pen light:

Custom Sonic Screwdriver - YouTube

Could be possible. Swap out the two AA or AAA batteries for a more compact powersource and then it is just a matter of swiping the sound system from one of the toys and fitting it in.

HyperdyneLabs made a sound system tiny enough to fit inside this and I'm sure the internal diameter is less than inside that pen light:

Custom Sonic Screwdriver - YouTube

Well I can say right now the toy soundboard is way too big. If Hyperdyne can make a soundboard smaller than a the diameter of the batteries these pen lights take then it would be cool but I don't know where you'd put the speaker holes.

Hey guys I just ordered the Gem light as well, the site says that color may vary per order, does anyone know what that is about? Do they just mea the silver may not always match or is there a chance we could end up with a colored penlight?

Also, I know little evidence really exists, but should the shirt clip be removed?

Thanks for the info

Oh and mooneye if I get some time I'll check my DVD for that scene. I know I am a few months late but still.

Hey guys I just ordered the Gem light as well, the site says that color may vary per order, does anyone know what that is about? Do they just mea the silver may not always match or is there a chance we could end up with a colored penlight?

Also, I know little evidence really exists, but should the shirt clip be removed?

Thanks for the info

Oh and mooneye if I get some time I'll check my DVD for that scene. I know I am a few months late but still.

The ones I got were black. I sprayed them with a silver paint but others have just stripped the paint. I removed the clip, didn't look very sonic. ;)

Oh I see, hmmm, I think if I get a black one as well I may want to go the stripped route, so if anyone has any tips there I'd really appreciate that.

And yes, clip removable does seem more, thanks for the help :)

Ok, so I found myself with a bit of extra time and got a few screencaps here from episode 6 of The War Games.

The first shows the button is either white or silver or some other light color that looks white or silver on B&W film, at a guess I'd assume it's metal like the rest of the prop or a white or green rubber tip. But just above the "white" button is what looks like the shirt clip.

When watching the scene you can see the Doctor slip one wire under the shirt clip and bend it over the front of the clip, then he slips the next wire through in the same way including the fold over, then he twists the sonic like a crank around the wires on the clip.

ScreenShot2011-12-11at115518AM.png

Here he has just finished twisting it and I am happy to have got this shot because I never noticed that his sonic was a full size pen torch before. For some reason I always thought it was half size due to the other scenes I saw it in. Must be the trick of film.

ScreenShot2011-12-11at115606AM.png

So, it would seem to me that the clip should stay on actually. Shame really as I do agree it may look better without, but it had a practical use for the sonics purpose here.

Actually here is a nice shot showing the clip right by his left thumb and index finger.

ScreenShot2011-12-11at120521PM.png

Hope this helps, Shame there really isn't more info on this prop.

Hope this helps

I sure as heck does! Thanks Terrasolo!

It also clears up a misconception I was forming that the Tardis Toolkit Torch might have been the same prop with a few mods. The torch is fatter and shorter (although now half length as I also assumed). This does look like an unmodified metal penlight for the most part.

:D Glad I could be of use here! Thanks greatwazoo!

By the way I've watched many of your sonic vids just recently on youtube, nice reviews. You have quite the collection.

My Goal is to have one of each of the basic variants of the Sonic, as in I would count the Pertwee/Baker/Davison versions as the same basic prop with cosmetic changes and I feel the same about the Eccleston/Tennant versions. Not to say that they are - as many differences have been pointed out all over this forum - just in my mind one fairly represents the type. SO, with that said, this one and Smith's are last on my list so I was glad to find this thread.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back