Second Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver

Ah, but wait! Correct me if I'm wrong (but I'm not ) Does not the 11th Doctor use his Sonic as a flashlight at times? The latest episode for one.
So... reversing that logic (and stretching it somewhat): If the current Sonic can be used as a flashlight, then the fact that the 1st Doctor uses his device as a flashlight does not preclude the possibility of it also being a Sonic.

Thoughts?

I suppose. But he takes the light out and gives it to Ian which he probably wouldn't do if it were a more complicated tool. Also when he's showing it to Susan it's very clearly treated just as a light with one on/off button.

I notice the same (or a very similar) penlight is used in the serial "The Sensorites" and he calls it a torch.

You could twist it and call it an assumed sonic but I think it's conclusive that the first on screen sonic screwdriver was Troughtons. :)

I suppose. But he takes the light out and gives it to Ian which he probably wouldn't do if it were a more complicated tool. Also when he's showing it to Susan it's very clearly treated just as a light with one on/off button.

I notice the same (or a very similar) penlight is used in the serial "The Sensorites" and he calls it a torch.

You could twist it and call it an assumed sonic but I think it's conclusive that the first on screen sonic screwdriver was Troughtons. :)

Yeah I have to agree with the logic here. Even though ten and 11 use their sonics at one point or another for an actual flashlight he never calls it a flashlight or torch just because he happens to be using it as one at the time. Not to mention I do believe that even when they do use it for a light source it still makes the familiar buzzing sound of a sonic screwdriver. I mean we COULD fan retcon this buuut...

Exactly what I was thinking of. Of course, it would mostly be sonics as that's the one we see the most prevalently. Maybe a laser spanner too...XD

Well, the doc does carry other items on him like his binoculars and such. I could see several flat pockets holding various scarps of paper and some recognizable thin leather paper holders as well. Maybe even some various keys too.

Last edited:
Well, the doc does carry other items on him like his binoculars and such. I could see several flat pockets holding various scarps of paper and some recognizable tin leather holders as well. Maybe even some various keys too.

Quite. What needs to be done then, is to go back through the series (oh darn! lol) and begin cataloging images and functions. The wife & kids are gonna love this. Mua-Ha-ha-ha! :love

Did someone say TARDIS Toolkit.

Here's the one I made back in the 80's

Complete with tools. The second from the left was the pentorch, pen on one end torch(flashlight) on the other.

Ed

That's awesome! I especially like the box itself.

I went hunting for some screen shots of various toolkits. Here's what I found.

View attachment 27884

View attachment 27885

It's hard to make out, but with a copy of the list from the technical manual, or even NTBBCPD's pics above it would seem that they are the same tools in both toolkits (REF: The magnetic clamp). Go figure, ehh? That simplifies things a bit.

Now, here's a thought; With all the change the screwdriver/TARDIS/TARDIS key acquired between '96 & '05, did the rest of the toolkit get a face-lift as well? I don't recall seeing a toolkit in the new series, but then I wasn't looking either.

That's awesome! I especially like the box itself.

I went hunting for some screen shots of various toolkits. Here's what I found.

View attachment 27884

View attachment 27885

It's hard to make out, but with a copy of the list from the technical manual, or even NTBBCPD's pics above it would seem that they are the same tools in both toolkits (REF: The magnetic clamp). Go figure, ehh? That simplifies things a bit.

Now, here's a thought; With all the change the screwdriver/TARDIS/TARDIS key acquired between '96 & '05, did the rest of the toolkit get a face-lift as well? I don't recall seeing a toolkit in the new series, but then I wasn't looking either.

Mine will be more of a hybrid. I want tools in there but I also want memories. I was thinking one of the keys of Marinus, Adric's broken star, etc...

Haven't seen a toolkit in the new series, sonic kind of works as a catch all now. I actually don't like that, it seems like this new doctor uses it more like a tricorder and a multitool.

I found a nice penlight at Canadian Tire last night that made me instantly think Troughton Sonic. For only $8.99 I grabbed one. I like it, nice bright LED, push button on/off switch at the back. I kind of scratched the finish a little taking off the clip, but not so much that I'm overly worried about it. I'll just say it's aged :confused

attachment.php

I have not gotten the gem grading penlight yet, but here is a simple mod I have used in the past on small flashlights that would solve the lens issue.

You need to get a disposable camera. Either buy one, or go to your local 1 hr photo lab and ask for a used casing (once they remove the film they recycle the rest). Pry the clamshell apart and you will be amazed with what is inside, all sorts of gears and greebles! :love

What you want is the little plastic fish-eye camera lens. You may need to file the edge to make it fit into your "Sonic", but I think it might be just the thing. I ma going to order my penlight now!

WARNING: If you are disassembling a disposable camera with a flash, even after removing the battery, you must take a screwdriver with a plastic or rubber handle and short out the 330V capacitor on the board. It stores energy, and will give you a nasty shock if you do not.:angry

This probably doesnt add much to to the discussion, but Donkeys years ago when I was Little, I had the Exact same model of penlight. It was plain silver and the bulb inside was (ooh-er missus) 'nipple shaped' so the very tip of it protruded from the housing somewhat. I remember getting the war Games on Prehistoric VHS at the time and doing cartwheels that I had an Honest to goodness sonic screwdriver!

If you look at the War Games episode where The Dr uses the sonic to break down a wall I'm sure you can see a black round end that he presses. Ive zoomed on this area, but haven't been able to get an enhanced cap of this scene. If anyone could capture & enhance the frame it'd be good to see, especially against the image of the same Sonic in the Dominators.

I purchased the gem pen light and used acetone to get the black paint off. It looks fine as is, but I want to get that mirror like shine I saw in Strakers photo.

Anyone suggest a method of polishing aluminum with someone that has no tools and is mechanically challenged.

I purchased the gem pen light and used acetone to get the black paint off. It looks fine as is, but I want to get that mirror like shine I saw in Strakers photo.

Anyone suggest a method of polishing aluminum with someone that has no tools and is mechanically challenged.

I can. XD Use a Brillo pad. Make sure you spin the body of the pen light in the pad, don't go length-wise. You'll have to do half the pen at a time because if you get the pink soap on the side you're trying to grip you will find the soap is slicker than snot on a doorknob and you won't be able to hold it right. XD That's what I did BUT, for anyone interested I'm actually working out an idea right now for a budget kit for a more screen accurate pen light body made of a thicker aluminum. For anyone curious, it will use that gem grading tools parts to make it work.

Holy CRAP, guys. I just stumbled across this thread. How old are those gem lights, anyways?

I'm bugging right now. My dad's had this penlight for AGES, probably at LEAST 20 years if not longer. And it is still in fabulous shape. The pushbutton tip on the gemlight, does it screw down into itself, locking the light on? And on the main body of the light, above the clip, is there a slanted spiral groove making three lines where you see both tips and a middle line (a double line if you can't see the end of it)?

I can't tell you how often I've looked at this and wondered if it were a prop, like the imperial code cylinders. So much, in fact, I kept it when my parents got divorced 17 years ago.. I'm absolutely gobsmacked right now. Right under my nose, all my life.. :lol

1602213.jpeg

(Oh, and the thing is absolutely straight/parallel, the taper is a trick of the light and perspective.)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back