Second Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver

Don't laugh!!! I modelled this in SolidWorks last night. It's accurate to the numbers given in this thread. I'm pretty happy with it, but the clip is going to need some messing with. The clip has a lot of intersecting curves that are tricky, but it's a start.

At this point it's all one peice for a "stunt" version, but I am considering breaking it into peices. The stunt version could be printed in Stainless Steel at Shapeways. With a little paint it would be passable, but I really wont to break it in peices to put an LED in it (I know it was a conventional bulb, but LEDs are more rugged, last longer, and require less power).

Take a look and let me know wht you think. And a special thanks to BreadleyBear for generously providing the dimensions!!!!

View attachment 273627

View attachment 273628

View attachment 273629

Very very nice. :)

Thought about uploading the CAD-files? :D

Don't laugh!!! I modelled this in SolidWorks last night. It's accurate to the numbers given in this thread. I'm pretty happy with it, but the clip is going to need some messing with. The clip has a lot of intersecting curves that are tricky, but it's a start.

At this point it's all one peice for a "stunt" version, but I am considering breaking it into peices. The stunt version could be printed in Stainless Steel at Shapeways. With a little paint it would be passable, but I really wont to break it in peices to put an LED in it (I know it was a conventional bulb, but LEDs are more rugged, last longer, and require less power).

Take a look and let me know wht you think. And a special thanks to BreadleyBear for generously providing the dimensions!!!!

View attachment 273627

View attachment 273628

View attachment 273629

Well done, very nice work! Looks amazingly identical to the real thing!

I assume you mean when it is taken apart? I could find the measurement but to be completely frank, I have given all the measurements required to make a perfect sonic lookalike. You're asking me for measurements that won't even be seen when the penlight is together, and although I have been willing to give out measurements for the sake of the Doctor Who fans (being one myself I know I would want them badly if I couldn't find the genuine penlight) but to give away measurements for the parts that nobody will even see would devalue my genuine version in my opinion. I hope I don't sound too much like a d*** for saying that, but if I give away everything what is to stop people from making their own penlights and making a profit by selling them as genuine vintage Ever Ready penlights? Leaving some things to the imagination protects against that.

Here is my model broken down into peices. Now the blue/green button and "grip can be printed in reasonably priced plastic and spray painted, and only the parts that appear metal can be printed stainless.

It still needs some modifications to accomodate a light. The peices would need to be threaded and mounting for the real switch under the button would need to be developed. I probably won't model the threads, I'll probably make the material the right size to be hand threaded with a tap and die. I would love to put the electronics from a Character Options 10th Doctor sonic screwdriver in it so that it had the sound... I need to take some measurements on that to see if it could be made to fit.

Anyway, here are some pictures!!!!

All the parts pluged together
assembled.JPG

The exploded view
exploded view.JPG

And a cross-section view
crosssection.JPG

Please note, I have no intentions of selling these. If people want I can make them public on Shapeways for anyone who wants it.

Please note, I have no intentions of selling these. If people want I can make them public on Shapeways for anyone who wants it.

I would like to download the files. I also could make a simple drawing of it to make them on the lathe, but it would be easier if you provide the files. Much appreciated.

Here is my model broken down into peices. Now the blue/green button and "grip can be printed in reasonably priced plastic and spray painted, and only the parts that appear metal can be printed stainless.

It still needs some modifications to accomodate a light. The peices would need to be threaded and mounting for the real switch under the button would need to be developed. I probably won't model the threads, I'll probably make the material the right size to be hand threaded with a tap and die. I would love to put the electronics from a Character Options 10th Doctor sonic screwdriver in it so that it had the sound... I need to take some measurements on that to see if it could be made to fit.

Anyway, here are some pictures!!!!

All the parts pluged together
View attachment 274042

The exploded view
View attachment 274043

And a cross-section view
View attachment 274044

I would like to download the files as well!

Nice to see some photos of the actual type of torch.I know the model number was know, but still hadn't seen any decent photos.
Cheers
Doug

I've been meaning to post for a while but keep forgetting. My models for this Sonic Screwdriver are available for printing at Shapeways. I recommend finding a pen light with a similar aluminum tube and printing everything else. I have found an old penlight to use. I have not printed these parts to make mine yet, because I am wrapped up in my Key To Time Tracer (Mark II).

The parts can be found at Shapeways by searching my user name (which is the same as here) "13doctorwho". If you use them show it here, I'd love to see how it comes out!!!

Breadlybear posted dimensions and lovely picture on page 9 post number 209. Those are the dimensions I used to make my SolidWorks models.

On a side note, I'll be recieving my parts tomorrow and I already have a cut up pen light for the the barrel. So I should have my prototype made over the weekend!!

I have received my parts and put together the prototype!! It's a good start, but it needs some updates. Someone sent me a picture of the original one next to my replica and I saw some changes that need to be made.

The ribs on the switch are too small and there are too many. The "bulb" on the end of the clip s too small. I also noticed that the wide end of the blue plastic section need to have a radius (be more rounded).

Shapeways does not print in the right blue (I already knew that) so I may paint the mark II version. That will save some money on printing as I will print it in polished white. There is no point in paying extra for blue, if I just have to paint over it.

Here's a picture, take a look and let me know what you think.
2nd Doctor Sonic Screwdriver.JPG

One more thing, the barrel is an old cannibalized pen light. The next one will be a piece of aluminum tubing.

I recently used 13DoctorWho's revised 3D printed parts which you can see in a collection pic I took recently. I gave the plastic parts as many coats of paint as I could to give them as smooth a finish as I could - since sanding them smooth would make them a tad too thin for the proper look - and I did a fair amount of sanding on the pocket clip to make that nice and smooth. I attached them to the previously mentioned close enough Gem Grading penlight for the body and swapped out the bulb with a longer LED so that it extended out further to get the right Troughton look. I am quite happy with the end results here which help to fill that gap in my collection. So thanks to BradlyBear and 13DoctorWho for all their help with this project and of course Straker and Mooneye for the original penlight.

TheSecondDoctorCollection104301AM_zpse81f987d.jpg

Wow, guys. I just checked this thread for the first time in a few years, to discover that not only had the iconic sonic (so to speak) been identified, but that there were two (three?) other models and a handle. You are all amazing.

So, in addition to the (again, amazing) 3D printable versions, has anyone considered a run of these yet?

Subscribed. I await eagerly someone attempting a run.

should be no problem transplanting the guts from a CO sonic.

Last edited:
Ive been pointed here by Terrasolo, Thanks for that. You know the most annoying thing, & its something that I have to share. When i was a kid i used to use my dad's tyre pressure guage as a Sonic Screwdriver, it was always in his toolbox right next to his pentorch, which I always ignored. I swear his pen torch was like the one seen here. Hence my facination for this prop. Little did I know at the time!Great info here by the way & I have to say that Strakers FIAT penlite also looks so like it. mius the blue colouring on the cap.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back