Buzz Lightyear Costume Ideas

Woo - that ghetto shop-vac table contraption don't look all too reliable. Even really nice vac tables have their issues. if someone else wanted to take a crack at that method. By all means !

- Moony

Beware, these things are for low detail or worse no detail pulls. And the type & thickness of plastic you use makes a big difference. I've tried this in my kitchen and had the center heat well, but the sides didn't and by the time I got the sides heated, the center was cooling, so getting a good pull was very frustrating. Obviously the temperature of where you're pulling makes a huge difference and I am pretty picky about my vac pulls getting tight sharp detail.

I'd love to see your set-up and pulls, so please share, I destroyed mine long ago, but I am considering a newer, more metal version, just need enough capital. (don't we all:lol)
I'm still gathering materials . I am going to goto a few garage sales this weekend for some cheapy picture frames or a thrift store. I have no prior experience with vac forming so thats why I'm going to super cheap route. Get my feet wet to see if it suits me or not. Once it is finished I'll be sure to post it.

Mooniteman have you decided your course of action with Mr Buzz.

One thing about vac forming is that you shouldn't use the oven that you use to cook with for forming. Something about plastic fumes and food that don't mix.

Right now I'm having some persistent health issues - so I'm still in the planning stages. I think I'm going to do foam though unless you have super success with the vac stuff.

I'll let you guys know when I take my next course of action

I don't know if anyone's said this yet, but if you don't have the money for vac forming, you could probably get just as good results carving the armor out of foam. A lot of times I use pink insulation foam. I then either bondo or resin over it to give it a nice smooth finish.

just my opinion.. but it seems to me that the wings have been represented a bit small..

heres two shot of a older Thinkway toys buzzlight year jet pack.. pay no mind to the shrunken mando gauntlet next to it..

HPIM1180.jpg

HPIM1181.jpg

I can't wait to see how this turns out!

I got high res pictures of all of the decals that are on his body. I ripped them from the Toy Story 3-disk collectors edition DVD set. If you're interested, do you guys want me to upload them?

hello space rangers!

haven't seen any new posts here.any updates?
im going to try to go with the camping pad foam.anyone know if smooth on will still work with this? i cant find anywhere to get flexbond out here in bozeman anyone know a good alternative?
im also using modded hockey gloves and possibly an acrylic dome.ill post pics as soon as i have something complete...

update..
Almost done with the shoes just have to finish painting.let me know if you all have any advise.

Joe006.jpg

Joe008.jpg

Joe007.jpg

Joe009.jpg

Joe010.jpg

Joe013.jpg

Joe014.jpg

Last edited:
hi joee ,

Congratualtions for your beginning , the shoe would be great as far as i can see!
I have aslo this Buzz project , i will begin by the chest armor with polystyrene(that is the name in France)base for the volume.

good luck for the process!:)

Last edited:
thanks. good luck to you too. the rpf has been a great help. i only wish i knew about it a year ago when i did my hellboy costume.

going to go with flexbond and master design paints.i liked the way the plasti dip worked but the can stuff is just too expensive. dick blick and create for less have good prices on podge. not sure what your budget is but try contacting flexbond they really helped me out.
also the shoes i did i just painted straight on the foamies with acrylic apple barrel.im going to coat it with master shine finish.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back