Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Jun 2008
    Jun 22, 2010, 5:24 AM - Re: Buzz Lightyear Costume Ideas #51

wondersquid said: View Post
    Batdemon - that was exactly what I was trying to say, thank you! If you ever want to work together, I'd love to have you.
    you're quite welcome. it is a much simpler way of looking at it than the geometry lecture I had planned isn't it? being in Valencia, I'm surprised the orange analogy didn't come to you first. working Cali...I know of a couple companies out there that could /would handle a project like this, one in particular, are you associated with them?

back on topic...Mooniteman, if you haven't looked into it, Shell Shock® Brushable Liquid Plastic | Smooth-On, Inc.
    my concern...resins are only as strong as the material they are put on, ie glass cloth, kevlar. since the foam is pliable, would it crack if hit? I read a few first hand accounts of people using the product and it didn't like extreme cold. the good thing is the guys at Smooth-on are extremely knowledgeable and can answer all your questions.
    From
    Walnut, CA
    Jun 22, 2010, 12:09 PM - Re: Buzz Lightyear Costume Ideas #52

Out of curiosity, is there any reason why this couldn't be done the "old fashioned" way by vacforming the parts or casting in fiberglass or something similar? To me either of these methods would probably produce the best results creating something that looks the most like the toy/animation.

On a slightly different note, has anyone ever thought of or attempted to make a "real" version of Buzz? By real I mean trying to redesign the suit/armor to what it might look like if it were designed for a real person and not a toy? Same motiffs, color scheme, and features but scaled to human proportions.
    From
    Los Angeles, United States
    Jun 22, 2010, 12:58 PM - Re: Buzz Lightyear Costume Ideas #53

The_Batdemon : I did see that link, but didn't see anything about coating foam. I imagine the resin would crack considering the foam under structure is pliable and subject to deformation. Maybe coating the foam isn't a great idea.

Riceball
    :I do love the idea of doing vacuumed armor - but I don't have the space or $$$ to build a vacuform table. I also have little clue as to how that shiznit even works. Vacuformed armor would be perfect for the toy look if someone wanted to take the time to develop it.

Also there's a "realistic" buzz floating around on the internet. I'm honestly rather sick of it since it always pops up in searches. Someone posted it on the first page. Its cool, but ... meh - whatever. I'm interested in Buzz Lightyear not a re-imagining.

Moony
    From
    Tortuga
    Jun 22, 2010, 1:00 PM - Re: Buzz Lightyear Costume Ideas #54

Moony......To Infinity and Beyond!!!

Do I sense a LightyearParty.com in your near future????
    From
    Walnut, CA
    Jun 22, 2010, 1:28 PM - Re: Buzz Lightyear Costume Ideas #55

Mooniteman said: View Post

Riceball
    :I do love the idea of doing vacuumed armor - but I don't have the space or $$$ to build a vacuform table. I also have little clue as to how that shiznit even works. Vacuformed armor would be perfect for the toy look if someone wanted to take the time to develop it.
    Yeah, that's the problem that I have too, lack of funds and space for a vacform machine. Given the lack of space a fiberglass (or similar) casting might be an option too although it might not be that cheap but it's gotta be cheaper than vacforming since you're not building the table along with the clay and plastic, but if you can sculpt and make molds it's an option to consider although the amount of material needed might drive up the costs.
    From
    Jun 22, 2010, 2:13 PM - Re: Buzz Lightyear Costume Ideas #56

Capn_Jack_Savvy said: View Post
    Moony......To Infinity and Beyond!!!

Do I sense a LightyearParty.com in your near future????
    "... you're mocking me arn't you.... ?"

Lets hope not mate.

And Riceball - I think I may have to stick with foam and PVC fabric. It looks pretty topnotch on the Boston and Musical costumes. Although if I had the $$$ I would LOVE to do something more like the park costumes.... only better.

We'll see though. I'm still feeling my way around - once I definitely choose a method I'll let you guys know.

- AJ
    From
    South Floridah
    Jun 22, 2010, 3:43 PM - Re: Buzz Lightyear Costume Ideas #57

Mooniteman said: View Post
    [B]The_Batdemon

Riceball

Moony
    Shop vac plus heat gun plus some wood. I've been gathering materials to make a supapoorman's vac former.
    From
    bozeman, montana
    Jun 22, 2010, 4:57 PM - Re: Buzz Lightyear Costume Ideas #58

mooniteman: haha "you're mocking me arent you"? that was great! lets do a lightyearparty.com ..anywho i agree with you on expense not a good economy we're in.

tiki: whats all this for a vac former? is there a link?
    From
    South Floridah
    Jun 22, 2010, 9:16 PM - Re: Buzz Lightyear Costume Ideas #59

joee said: View Post
    mooniteman: haha "you're mocking me arent you"? that was great! lets do a lightyearparty.com ..anywho i agree with you on expense not a good economy we're in.

tiki: whats all this for a vac former? is there a link?
    You could start with this Make a good, cheap, upgradeable sheet plastic vacuum former

But I'll be going for even cheaper.
  10. RPF Premium Member wondersquid's Avatar
    From
    valencia, CA
    Jun 23, 2010, 9:40 AM - Re: Buzz Lightyear Costume Ideas #60

_TiKi_ Re: Buzz Lightyear Costume Ideas
    Shop vac plus heat gun plus some wood. I've been gathering materials to make a supapoorman's vac former.
    Beware, these things are for low detail or worse no detail pulls. And the type & thickness of plastic you use makes a big difference. I've tried this in my kitchen and had the center heat well, but the sides didn't and by the time I got the sides heated, the center was cooling, so getting a good pull was very frustrating. Obviously the temperature of where you're pulling makes a huge difference and I am pretty picky about my vac pulls getting tight sharp detail.

I'd love to see your set-up and pulls, so please share, I destroyed mine long ago, but I am considering a newer, more metal version, just need enough capital. (don't we all)
    From
    Jun 23, 2010, 9:48 AM - Re: Buzz Lightyear Costume Ideas #61

Woo - that ghetto shop-vac table contraption don't look all too reliable. Even really nice vac tables have their issues. if someone else wanted to take a crack at that method. By all means !

- Moony
    From
    South Floridah
    Jun 23, 2010, 7:00 PM - Re: Buzz Lightyear Costume Ideas #62

wondersquid said: View Post
    Beware, these things are for low detail or worse no detail pulls. And the type & thickness of plastic you use makes a big difference. I've tried this in my kitchen and had the center heat well, but the sides didn't and by the time I got the sides heated, the center was cooling, so getting a good pull was very frustrating. Obviously the temperature of where you're pulling makes a huge difference and I am pretty picky about my vac pulls getting tight sharp detail.

I'd love to see your set-up and pulls, so please share, I destroyed mine long ago, but I am considering a newer, more metal version, just need enough capital. (don't we all)
    I'm still gathering materials . I am going to goto a few garage sales this weekend for some cheapy picture frames or a thrift store. I have no prior experience with vac forming so thats why I'm going to super cheap route. Get my feet wet to see if it suits me or not. Once it is finished I'll be sure to post it.

Mooniteman have you decided your course of action with Mr Buzz.
  13. Member Since
    Oct 2002
    Jun 23, 2010, 7:41 PM - Re: Buzz Lightyear Costume Ideas #63

One thing about vac forming is that you shouldn't use the oven that you use to cook with for forming. Something about plastic fumes and food that don't mix.
    From
    Jun 23, 2010, 8:43 PM - Re: Buzz Lightyear Costume Ideas #64

Right now I'm having some persistent health issues - so I'm still in the planning stages. I think I'm going to do foam though unless you have super success with the vac stuff.

I'll let you guys know when I take my next course of action
    From
    Baltimore, MD
    Jun 24, 2010, 6:49 PM - Re: Buzz Lightyear Costume Ideas #65

I don't know if anyone's said this yet, but if you don't have the money for vac forming, you could probably get just as good results carving the armor out of foam. A lot of times I use pink insulation foam. I then either bondo or resin over it to give it a nice smooth finish.
    Jul 13, 2010, 3:43 AM - Re: Buzz Lightyear Costume Ideas #66

you do know that the tips of buzz's wings are on the bottom of the jet pack as opposed to the sides
    right?
  17. RPF Premium Member Gordon Gekko's Avatar
    Jul 13, 2010, 9:37 AM - Re: Buzz Lightyear Costume Ideas #67

You should check out this thread and other posts by izabel. They seem to use a lot of foam with good technique.

http://www.therpf.com/f24/finished-d...c-heavy-87844/
    Jul 13, 2010, 3:22 PM - Re: Buzz Lightyear Costume Ideas #68

I love buzz and woody but I want an emperor zurg costume
    From
    Makakilo City, Hawaii, United States
    Jul 13, 2010, 4:54 PM - Re: Buzz Lightyear Costume Ideas #69

just my opinion.. but it seems to me that the wings have been represented a bit small..

heres two shot of a older Thinkway toys buzzlight year jet pack.. pay no mind to the shrunken mando gauntlet next to it..

Jul 13, 2010, 6:14 PM - Re: Buzz Lightyear Costume Ideas #70

I can't wait to see how this turns out!

I got high res pictures of all of the decals that are on his body. I ripped them from the Toy Story 3-disk collectors edition DVD set. If you're interested, do you guys want me to upload them?
    From
    Indiana, United States
    Jul 13, 2010, 6:19 PM - Re: Buzz Lightyear Costume Ideas #71

yes, please, mrsinistar. im making a buzz too. that would be fantastic.
    Jul 13, 2010, 6:34 PM - Re: Buzz Lightyear Costume Ideas #72

And here's some reference images of Buzz:

23. RPF Premium Member Gordon Gekko's Avatar
    Jul 13, 2010, 11:42 PM - Re: Buzz Lightyear Costume Ideas #73

Nice. Thanks!!
    From
    bozeman, montana
    Aug 8, 2010, 5:20 PM - Re: Buzz Lightyear Costume Ideas #74

hello space rangers!

haven't seen any new posts here.any updates?
    im going to try to go with the camping pad foam.anyone know if smooth on will still work with this? i cant find anywhere to get flexbond out here in bozeman anyone know a good alternative?
    im also using modded hockey gloves and possibly an acrylic dome.ill post pics as soon as i have something complete...

update..
    Almost done with the shoes just have to finish painting.let me know if you all have any advise.

Last edited by joee; Sep 5, 2010 at 11:14 PM.
    From
    bozeman, montana
    Sep 5, 2010, 11:25 PM - Re: Buzz Lightyear Costume Ideas #75

heres the start of the arm bands..

thanks don roberts for the idea..