Studio Scale TIE Fighter

Drat, can't edit. Meant to say "if you're interested and want to discuss modifying moulds" in the email me bit.

Might as well go into it a little anyway. Alan's suggestion above won't work well (no offence Alan!). That technique IS used here and there, but it's tricky. I don't think it is worth using foam, especially with small or thin locating pins - too buoyant and easily dislodged, can result in off-centre castings or surface flaws. I've no idea whether it would cope with pressure-casting, also.

I think the best option is to completely divide the mould and make new half-moulds for the inner surfaces, but a good combination approach would be to create an RTV plug, to feed through from the rear hatch area and occupy the space that will become the cockpit. I mix the RTV with microballoons for these as it makes the stuff foamier, and hollow them out after they set, too. That way a spheroid plug larger than the opening it fits through can still be pulled safely from the casting. It needs to be rigid enough to hold shape, but also flex enough to get it out again - a foam ball won't do that. It's also a LOT more controllable. Note the hollowed area of the plug needs to connect to the casting chamber, or the pressure will squash it.

Happy to discuss further if you're interested.

Cheers,
Martyn

Martyn, you're back!! Where have you been???

Folks, I have been in touch with Steve and he asked me to post that he was called to duty suddenly and had to leave for Iraq once again. Everyone who is still waiting to hear from him, please be patient as he obviously can't do anything until he returns. Please keep him and his fellow soldiers in your prayers as they go through another dangerous tour of duty overseas.

Here's a pic from Steve:

Charles,

Sorta. A bit of ill-health is keeping me feeble, so I'm getting some net time.

Nice pic. Geez, hope Steve'll be safe. Things are incredibly rough over there from what little they still show on the news, I guess it's ten times worse in reality, at least in some parts.

*Edited my post*.
I was just venting a lot of frustration and disappointment.
icon_frown.gif

Martyn, good to hear from you! Very sorry to hear it's because you aren't feeling well though. Shoot me an e-mail when you can so we can get caught up.
icon_smile.gif

Chris, I understand your concerns. Steve can't view the posts here becuse this site is blocked from viewing there so he is unable to respond. I'll e-mail you so we can talk more offline. . .

icon_smile.gif

Charles,

Ditto, and will do.
icon_smile.gif
Have made a *little* progress on the Cygnus drawings but nothing to write home about. OTOH I have been able to make some breakthroughs with the Narcissus drawings (Jamie still lurking around here? Jamie, in case you're around, I'll send you good dims for the engines soon!)

Obligatory on-topic content. From anyone who has one - can you please let me know how deep the "cockpit" area behind the window is on Steve's castings, and how thick is the solid resin to the back?

Cheers,
Martyn

Sounds good!
icon_smile.gif

The cockpit is hollowed out approx. 2.7 cm and the overall depth from front to back is about 10.5 cm, yielding a "net" internal resin thickness of around 8 cm. These are dims of the hull "ball" but do not include either the window frame piece or the back detail piece which are separate.

Charles,

Thanks very much. That's a lot of resin to remove! Judging by Steve's report it must be a tricky job. BTW really nice to be back in touch. Sorry I've been such a hermit!

Jamie,

Good to see you around too! I have just got to fill in the details in the rear upper/inner quarter panel, and the long detail widgeting on the front hull, then the plan view is finished. Plus, it's in colour now, with shading.
icon_smile.gif
Not super-pro, but prettier than it was and it makes working out shapes a little easier. I have a *much* better engine outline and dims now too. The rear and side elevations are coming along pretty well. Should be able to post the plan by the weekend - I might start a new Narcissus thread here in case it's any use to anyone else too.

Cheers lads,
MG

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
cking wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
If anyone is in contact with Steve (because he's ignoring all my messages), PLEASE ask him to send my Paypal refund ASAP.
Paypal address: chris.king2@blueyonder.co.uk

Chris.
</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

Since he is in Iraq from what everyone has said, you'll be waiting a while longer.

Lynn

Lynn,

I realise he's in Iraq but he does check his emails and replies to them (at least those that he wants to reply to).
I just want this concluded so we can both get on with our lives. I like Steve and admire what he's doing but his customer service was and apparently still is pretty crappy.
icon_frown.gif

Chris.

Steve's e-mail address in Iraq is different than his home e-mail address, so chances are he's not receiving your e-mails Chris. In addition, I think he's very limited to his e-mail access. I asked him about a month ago about if there was anything I could send him to either help pass the time or eat, and he hasn't gotten back to me yet. He also told me that he is unable to access this forum.

Dan

"Vinyl Guy"

Hi Dan,

I've actually been sending my messages to his military email address as well as his home address.
Oh well, if he's not replying to friends like yourself, I guess he really must still be in the thick of it. I'll try and cut him a break but his treatment of me in this deal has been just as bad as ever.
icon_frown.gif

Chris

UPDATE.

Finally received my refund from Steve. I told him that if I hadn't received my refund by the beginning of January, I was going to take up the matter with Paypal.
Incredibly, a few minutes later, I'd received a refund.
Just wanted to make my last post on a more positive note in this thread.
I envy those of you who actually managed to get this kit. Enjoy it.

Chris

Just a quickie in case Steve gets a chance to surf... - Steve STAY SAFE, and when you get back Please just take a deep breath crack just a few beers - and start pouring resin
icon_wink.gif

Having dealt with Steve during a previous deployment I can tell you its maddening to wait and have the money tied up and all that - but Its not like he's on vacation and ignoring us... or just simply a deadbeat - he's a stand up guy - so stand up that he can't get to us right now
icon_wink.gif

Jedi Dade

JD,

Now that I've had time to reflect on my failed transaction with Steve, I realise that I was perhaps too impatient. It certainly is maddening when your money's tied up and you're told things would ship, but they didn't.
Steve's doing a great service to his country and I apologise for being too blinkered to realise that during my transaction with him.

Chris

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back