Studio Scale TIE Fighter

Which picture are you referring too? I looked through Chronicles and it seems to me that it was just tape over the wing struts for spraying the interior. Though I might be looking at the wrong picture.

BoatBuilder,

You are correct with your observation. You can see the Pyro being added to the wings(putty). The wings are made of a light plastic and pre scored to allow them to break apart. I also saw a behind the magic thingy that showed the special plastik explosive especially designed for the film industry. Can work it like play dough.

Steve

Hey Guys here are some shots of the finshed protos for the NEW TIE kit. I am also including pics of some of the parts required for my next release.... The Hull is currently in a matrix mold now and need to run the RTV when all the other mold boxes are complete. Hope to be able to make a few of these if you interested. Will post pics of the castings when thay are ready...

hey guys I am almost done with my xwing
and looking a the tie
for my next project man this thing is massive
can anyone give me and idea of how they tackled the hull it is so big and round
are you guys carveing from foam and glassing or something simpler

ca

can someone comfirm or deny the dimensions given in the lucasfilm archives book on the tie fighter
48cm high
38 cm wide from wing to wing
36cm wide across the wing
I think these are a bit to much
I started working in standar dims and find that the hull is roughly 7 inchs in diam the switched to metric for the wings and found that they are roughly 41 cm tall
can someone confirm or deny these and I was thinking of using acrylic domes for the hull and cutting the top front and back off for the various item the hull feature hatch, viewport, and ion engines also is it me or are there actually three layers to each wing
the outer panel with koolshade and a inner panel painted black then the inner panel with koolshade
someone give a shout or something here
ca

Hey guys, had to take a break from the ATAT talk and show off the first castings of the New Studio scale TIE FIGHTER. The crisp detail is fantastic. Just see for yourself. Please compare to studio reference pics...I think you will like

email for pictures.

Hope you liked... finishing the details and mold of the Wings this week.

Steve

Thanks guys... Im really proud of this one.. with the homework done properly.. proper mold making and pressure casting makes this one 1000 times better than my last one.

The seem line on the hull seen in the pics is untouched!! Hardly any flash! My thanks goes out to our Buddy up North and I dont mean Santa Claus for the help learning Matrix molding! Thanks Ronny!

Tonight Ive preped the surface of the WINGs to recieve the kit detail. So progress shots in a few days. I wanna get it right so thanks for the patients.

Check back later for updates!

Steve

Steve,

Hope you give me a call when it's ready... I remember being promised cast #2... (or somewhere around there) as part of our trade agreement ...
icon_smile.gif

That looks AWSOME!!!
icon_smoking.gif

Tim

Thanks Steve.. Shout out goes out to all the folks that have helped provide info or parts to make this the most acurate TIE ever! Special thanks to the KitBashing Master "Basher" your knowledge on these things is absolutly mind blowing!

Plugging away adding detail to the TIE hub.. comming togther faster now but still a slow careful pace.. want to get it right!

Steve

NICE Work Steve! Why, I might not even have to scratch a TIE someday, your's looks so good!

Can't wait to see it in person...

'Basher

Pics of the HUB added kitparts a few more to go. Then do it all again 3 more times! Should mold the wings on Sunday-Monday!

46963715.jpg

46963711.jpg

46963701.jpg

I just talked with Steve a couple of days ago, and he's building a custom pressure caster so he can ensure the best possible castings. The wings on the TIE are so huge, he had to come up with his own solution.

I'm sure he'll post more as soon as he can.

Tim

Hey All,

Tim's right.. Im in the process of having a very large pressure vessle constructed. I'll be able to provide pressure castings up to 19" wide and 36" tall using degassed molds. I had to come up with $2000 for the certified welders/fabricators to build and certify its construction. Will the investment pay off. ?? at least the casting will be clean!

As far as the TIE molds go.. The wing needs to be flipped and the last side RTV poured then the molding process will be complete. Took 80 oz of RTV on the first side pour... the same for the next.

I should have the pressure chamber up and running in two weeks or so then the wings can be cast under pressure to ensure all the detail is super crisp and no voids are present.

I scored a 5 gallon Pressure Pot on Ebay for $150 will do all medium sized molds to include the TIE Hull. All pieces will be cast in this way.

Steve

UPDATE!! GOODNEWS.. BADNEWS

Good News first.. the TIE MOLDS ARE DONE!!! I will be picking up my 4ft pressure chamber on Thursday castings by the weekend! The molds look great!! Detail is crisp..man Im stoked about this one!!

Bad news... totally destroyed the Wing master.. broke in half and three other places.. can use as wing rut masters though.. The cast screen material version... hummmm will use the first two good castings to replace the broken one...

So though really bad news the good news is parts can be of value and used.

Those that have committed will be first searved! those that havent email me..

Im so happy! Ohh the pressure chamber to deliver bubble free castings cost $3000 and its 4 ft tall 20" Diameter! It weighs near 500 lbs! Only the best for you guys!

I will be also offering my services as mold maker and pressure caster for projects you may have email me if you have something in mind.

sneisen641@comcast.net

Update???... did someone say update. Here is the test pull of the center hub... white resin raw... grey with a coat of paint. Please take a look at the crispness of the detail parts on this hub. No mud here anywhere. Im using a 80 gallon pressure pot to cast these solid.

I still have to play with the slow set resin its comming out real brittle.. broke the rest of the wing taking it from the mold... think I havent got the 1:1 by weight down yet.. they promised me it has the same qualities of easy Flo 60 the resin fawst cure i normally use.. ok enjoy the pics..

email or pm if you have any questions..

Steve

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back