EFNY Snake Plissken camo trousers

Very cool, terryr. Whenever I feel I'm being slightly obsessive, someone comes along and shows me what true obsession is. ;)

The different versions bring up a philosophical question: When the movie costume (or prop) itself is inconsistent (.. how close is close enough? )

Just look at the paint pattern on a Boba Fett helmet, or the Bladerunner gun. Only 100 percent correct is 100 percent.
No doubt the pants will soon be called version 1, 2, 3 pre-prod, stunt...etc.. [Dood, you have a type 1 jacket with type 3 pants!!!]

As I look at them I can't see any pattern repeating. If it was printed, you'd think some of it would be the same.
I think it was hand done, with the pockets sewn on afterwards.

By "hand-made" do you mean painted after assembly? I'd say no; if you look at the close-up shot I posted earlier, you can see light gray thread running through the darker stripes. (Man, that must have been a bear trying to sew four pairs of pants and keep them all mostly consistent.)
Yea, I meant the pattern was painted by hand.

The reason I thought that was the patterns are very similar, almost too similar.

Also, I'm familiar with camo patterns, (not an expert by any stretch of the imagination), and while they do look like they're based off a Tiger Stripe pattern, they simply don't have the same characteristics as any Tiger Stripe that I've seen, or can find....anywhere. :confused

Also, the pattern would be pretty much useless in any real-world applications.

arent they the same pants he wore in the begining of EFLA? You should be able to get good ref caps from that

Yes it's the same one. Kurt Russell kept the costume after EFNY and brought it back for the opening scenes of EFLA, just a pity he didn't keep it on.

I haven't found an exact match so far, but I'm convinced those are full-blown, vintage, Lycra, Glam Rocker pants.

Yes it's the same one. Kurt Russell kept the costume after EFNY and brought it back for the opening scenes of EFLA, just a pity he didn't keep it on.

Yeah, the legendary story of Kurt turning up to the EFLA set wearing the costume and it fit perfectly...my dad (who has gotten larger with age ;)) says he's a jammy c*nt :lol

I have to say, I am no big fan of MacFarlane Toys but I thank god that they used some creative licence on their "LA" Snake and gave him the shirt and pants from NY, even though the coat and all the acessories are from his LA outfit.

I have to say, I am no big fan of MacFarlane Toys but I thank god that they used some creative licence on their "LA" Snake and gave him the shirt and pants from NY, even though the coat and all the acessories are from his LA outfit.

Funny you should mention it: I just got one in the mail today! That's about as close to EFLA as I want to get.

Funny you should mention it: I just got one in the mail today! That's about as close to EFLA as I want to get.

Yeah, I went through three of them. That figure has a tendency to topple over (thanks to MacFarlane's policy on posing their figures); in my case, they all toppled off a shelf and the tiny peg holding the hands in would snap.You'd think on a figure where you have to detatch the hands from the arms to get the coat off they'd make the wrist pegs a bit sturdier, but no...)

The pistols in LA were awesome and much better than the one in NY; I used to think a lot of the quipment in LA was 'better' but having watched NY more since then and having reasearched the cotume, I'm not sure I still think that, I've gotten quite fond of the NY gear. That big rifle he had in LA (the Corebird?) was impressive but it served largely the same purpose and had the same amount of use as the Mac-10 and that's a good looking gun as it is. The Life Clock was a more interesting design, I think, but I love the simplicity of the original.

The thing I hate most about EFLA is that god-awful CGI helicopter :rolleyes

Magpie, any chance of some rough dimensions on the Life Clock? I am particularly interested to know how thick it is, and if it is flat or if the back has a slight curve to it to fit to your wrist better...

Then why not paint across the seams? Just askin'.

That's a good question. Painted on cloth maybe, then cut? Printed cloth has a pretty short repeat pattern, whether it's a roller or silk screen. I can't see anything that repeats exactly.
Everything is kinda close, but different.

Yeah, I went through three of them. That figure has a tendency to topple over (thanks to MacFarlane's policy on posing their figures); in my case, they all toppled off a shelf and the tiny peg holding the hands in would snap.You'd think on a figure where you have to detatch the hands from the arms to get the coat off they'd make the wrist pegs a bit sturdier, but no...)

The pistols in LA were awesome and much better than the one in NY; I used to think a lot of the quipment in LA was 'better' but having watched NY more since then and having reasearched the cotume, I'm not sure I still think that, I've gotten quite fond of the NY gear. That big rifle he had in LA (the Corebird?) was impressive but it served largely the same purpose and had the same amount of use as the Mac-10 and that's a good looking gun as it is. The Life Clock was a more interesting design, I think, but I love the simplicity of the original.

The thing I hate most about EFLA is that god-awful CGI helicopter :rolleyes

Magpie, any chance of some rough dimensions on the Life Clock? I am particularly interested to know how thick it is, and if it is flat or if the back has a slight curve to it to fit to your wrist better...
RobWolf,
The brass case is 1/2 " thick, the back is flat but sits on the wrist really well.
I'll try and take some more pics this weekend.

Just wanted to add some more info regarding the camo material I have. I know some posts have mentioned its inaccuracies, etc., and on behalf of the person who made it, I wanted to explain a bit about its development. I think the picture I posted earlier, which shows the camo pattern horizontallly (my bad, tried to take a quick pic) instead of in its proper vertical orientation, might have done a disservice to what I think was a great job.

I know that the maker (himself with an extensive design/theatrical background) sat and watched EFNY frame-by frame ad infinitum ad nauseum to come up with the best representation of the camo and its variations, which he painstakingly painted by hand to be later reproduced on fabric. I also know he took into consideration where certain 'landmarks' in the camo pattern fall on the trousers Kurt wears, and what he came up with is an amalgam of what's seen on screen. He also gave me a copy of this artwork when he had it digitized:

DSC05807.jpg

And this pattern was dye-sublimated to repeat on a roll of stretch denim:

DSC05809.jpg

When he was doing his research (before coming up with the pattern above), he attempted to contact Steven Loomis, the EFNY costume designer, with little success, and the closest he got was one of Loomis' mentors, costume designer Bill Whitten (recently passed but famous for his work with Michael Jackson among other performers), and IIRC, they tried to hash out what Loomis' approach would have been in making the camo. It was decided that Loomis probably just drew his own design and had it repro'd on fabric, and that it never was a found camo pattern.

As far as the variations on screen, etc., remember, this is a LOW budget movie being filmed in 1980...deep thought probably wasn't given to ALL the details, such as making sure each pair of Kurt's pants were showing the exact same patterns. Movies that utillized a lot of found pieces, like Mad Max/Road Warrior are in some ways much easier to achieve 100% accurate replicas - mind you, I'm not talking about the SEARCH for the rare items - as you aren't creating from scratch. With Snake's camo and boots, these were production made, and I'm certainly glad that I was able to get this fabric a few years back - it beats my hand-painted trousers that were shown earlier in the thread - as well as the boots. I guess it's a moot point to 'defend' the accuracy of the fabric, since it's not even available...but I'll wait to see who comes up with 100% accurate Snake pants. ;) In the meantime, here is a pair made with this fabric:

SnakeEscape2008172-1.jpg

Art
'Jon8712'

It's interesting, the pattern looks much tighter on the flattened fabric than it does when turned into actual pants; I guess it's the lack of reference for scale that does that. Still, all in all it doesn't look too bad and seeing it in the proper vertical orientation does show it off much better.

The pants made up from the fabric are great, certainly the best replicas I've seen so far. Have you any plans on having a pair made with the fabric you have?

Art, those trousers look fantastic. I'd be proud to wear them.

Speaking of EFLA, I fibbed. I rented the Blu-Ray this week specifically to look at the trousers. Kurt may or may not have worn an original pair to the set, but the ones he wears on-screen look brand new and the camo pattern on the pockets doesn't match any of the EFNY versions. Still, there are some really good shots of the camo in the first few minutes of the movie.

But what a waste that movie was. Painfully primitive CGI and a warmed-over story. (And never mind that 16 years after EFNY, Snake is still wearing the same clothes.) John Carpenter and George Lucas have at least one thing in common: They made better movies when they didn't have any money.

In slightly related news, I scored a pair of vintage 3rd-gen Hi-Point boots that are passable starters. They'll do for now.

Yeah, EFNY still has its charm, while EFLA never had any.

And used the same plots points, except with pointless stunts equivalent to the podrace in star wars.

And he had to wear stealth clothes, which were no help at all in the primitive conditions.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back