EFNY Snake Plissken camo trousers

Finally took some pics of the fabric, with my jacket/shirt/boots:

DSC05805.jpg

The fabric is a medium-weight white stretch demin with the base light grey added, as well as the other camo colors. The base color often appears light blue, but that's due to the lighting (or lack thereof) in the nighttime scenes. If you watch the Liberty Island scenes (like when Snake gets his equipment), the grey is more evident.

Art
'Jon8712'

Last edited:
Just a little friendly advice to a Noob.

I would be very careful calling a established member here a crook.

The jacket was a pain to try to get Magnoli to re-create. Me and an old friend of mine commissioned that crook to make us our Plissken jackets. He never did get them exactly correct by the way. He then started mass producing them for profit, making it easy for anyone to have one.

The jacket was a pain to try to get Magnoli to re-create. Me and an old friend of mine commissioned that crook to make us our Plissken jackets. He never did get them exactly correct by the way. He then started mass producing them for profit, making it easy for anyone to have one.

"Mass producing" as in made-to-measure one-at-a-time. Right. :rolleyes

"...for profit" ? You mean you want me to run my business for nothing? :lol

Kind regards,
Magnoli

That camo fabric looks fantastic, would love to get my hands on some.
Here's a quick pic of some of my EFNY props. I'm aiming for a 1:1 scale mannequin display but I think it's going to be a long road. The boots are a great start though.

great start though.

The fabric definitely looks pretty good but it doesn't quite totally accurate to me. It might be just me but the pattern looks to be too loose, the strips on the screen used pants look to be much closer to each other, about maybe half the distance on the repros. Also, the stripes look a little too "smooth" too, the stripes on Snake's seem more "jagged" almost like the stripes on tiger stripe camo, but really more like a cross between tiger stripes and woodland in "jaggedness". Still, definitely close and would do if you're not obsessed with being totally screen accurate.

What can of worms have I opened here?

I tend to agree, Riceball, although the pattern on the movie trousers isn't uniform. There are sections were the pattern is loose and the stripes are large, and sections where the pattern is tight and the stripes are narrow. The repro fabric does a good job with that. But yeah.

"Mass producing" as in made-to-measure one-at-a-time. Right. :rolleyes

"...for profit" ? You mean you want me to run my business for nothing? :lol

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Listen here Magnoli. When we commissioned you to make our jackets it was strictly for one off. I kept every single email correspondence during this ordeal, if anyone wants any proof. You then took it upon yourself to call it the Escape jacket and began mass producing it for yourself. That doesn't make you as honest as you pretend to be.

Here's a quick pic of some of my EFNY props. I'm aiming for a 1:1 scale mannequin display but I think it's going to be a long road. The boots are a great start though.
It's very nice to see that Mechanic's stuff is on the other side of the world, with a fan who will treasure it I'm sure. Both our life clock's and boots are now separated by the ocean, but that's how far reaching the influence of Snake Plissken reaches, around the world. Good luck with your costume.

There's three different pants in the photos.

In most he has a dark stripe on one side of the right knee and a light stripe on the other side. The dark stripe goes up to the corner of the pocket.

efny-snake-plissken-camo-trousers-efnyteam-jpg-27559d1276730052

Then the other pants the right knee has a dark light dark light stripes, with the dark stripe going to the middle of the pocket. The stripes are also more distinct.

efny-snake-plissken-camo-trousers-pants-jpg-27560d1276730052

The third one looks similar to the first but the right pocket dark stripe is straighter.

efny-snake-plissken-camo-trousers-2-jpg-27561d1276730052

Listen here Magnoli. When we commissioned you to make our jackets it was strictly for one off. I kept every single email correspondence during this ordeal, if anyone wants any proof. You then took it upon yourself to call it the Escape jacket and began mass producing it for yourself. That doesn't make you as honest as you pretend to be.

I don't remember ever saying I wouldn't reproduce this jacket for other fans, nor to agreeing yours to be an exclusive one-off (or two-off, I suppose, since you and your friend commissioned these at about the same time). I even remember your friend suggesting I market the jacket as the "Escape" and not the "Plissken" as I originally did. So what was dishonest?

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Very cool, terryr. Whenever I feel I'm being slightly obsessive, someone comes along and shows me what true obsession is. ;)

The different versions bring up a philosophical question: When the movie costume (or prop) itself is inconsistent (or difficult to replicate, like the pattern and seams on these pants), how close is close enough? ("Whatever's close enough for you" is off the table, by the way.)

Did a quick comparison;

attachment.php

And there's more. The other pair might be a pre-production, or stunt pair.

At least one more pair; look at the pants in the fight scene.

Magpie, you have an awesome collection of props! I'm curious about your Life Clock, does it actually work or is it just a backlit graphic? And what is it made from etc?

The different versions bring up a philosophical question: When the movie costume (or prop) itself is inconsistent (or difficult to replicate, like the pattern and seams on these pants), how close is close enough? ("Whatever's close enough for you" is off the table, by the way.)
So do the differences in the stripes just mean that they were naturally occurring variations in the overall material, or that they were possibly hand-made?

So do the differences in the stripes just mean that they were naturally occurring variations in the overall material, or that they were possibly hand-made?

By "hand-made" do you mean painted after assembly? I'd say no; if you look at the close-up shot I posted earlier, you can see light gray thread running through the darker stripes. (Man, that must have been a bear trying to sew four pairs of pants and keep them all mostly consistent.)

At least one more pair; look at the pants in the fight scene.

Magpie, you have an awesome collection of props! I'm curious about your Life Clock, does it actually work or is it just a backlit graphic? And what is it made from etc?
Thanks. The Life Clock is a great piece and is fully working. The case is brass with the working timer set in and the strap is leather. When one button is pressed the countdown starts and lasts for 10 seconds,if the stop button is not pressed it continues to count down in real time and shows the current time left when the button is pressed again.
The member I got it from had the case and timer custom made and did the strap himself and I think there were only 2 made.

It's very nice to see that Mechanic's stuff is on the other side of the world, with a fan who will treasure it I'm sure. Both our life clock's and boots are now separated by the ocean, but that's how far reaching the influence of Snake Plissken reaches, around the world. Good luck with your costume.
Thanks, I was very lucky to get the boots and life clock and I certainly won't be parting with them. Was your vest a custom made item and is the jacket you use in your costume the one Magnoli made?

My guess would be natural variations in the material since all camos are printed with a repeating pattern but they're usually done so that they only every so many yards. So within a given bolt of camo printed fabric you're going to get variations depending on where you cut the fabric from and where you start stitching from.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back