Show us your Star Trek costume

Thanks for bringing up that scene with Ensign Ro. I have always wondered how a one piece jump suit magically transformed iinto a jacket and pants. Must be more of that 24th Century costume magic/technology!

image.jpg

Yeah, he made me feel like a munchkin, and I'm not short.

It was the debut of my Anovos Scotty, which I was very happy with. I had made a new phaser belt for today's con, a quickie made from vinyl. I put a pocket on the back for holding money, but I had my wife with me and she didn't have a problem holding my cash. Wait, I didn't get any of my money back yet. Hmm.
image.jpg
I received compliments on my phaser. Anyone remember those squirt guns from a few years ago? Great phaser for cons with a bit of work, no weight whatsoever. Here's a picture next to the Wand phaser.
image.jpg
This isn't my picture but I don't have a before picture.
image.jpg

Last edited:
I wish like heck I had picked up a few of those phaser water guns. They seemed like a heaven sent option for costuming.

There are those blue and orange rubies phasers out there for ten bucks or so, but they need far more work than the squirt gun. Far more work. They do weight about four ounces, which isn't bad, and they have sound. The nice thing about the squirt gun is that it is so light I only velcroed the handle. The day before I used it my wife dropped it and chipped a rear fin. She was horrified but I said that's why I have it, in case it gets dropped.

New year's bump!

Actually, Santa brought be some Anovos goodies this year, so here are some silly photoshops to show them off!

It's probably just a spider.... I've been wearing this red shirt too long....

I did only very minor adjustments to the costume- I did scratch build the boot-tops, though!

Last edited:
I really like the boots! You look good, just be careful never ever to get beamed down. Or be in the line of fire. Ever.

My boyfriend and I as Riker and Tasha. I made both costumes from scratch. My jumpsuit was made with jumbo spandex (the gold I dyed myself) and I converted the Roddenberry pattern into the S3+ style (which I know is inaccurate for Tasha but whatever). At some point I will probably do Beverly, and eventually, once I'm in good enough shape, I plan to do Seven of Nine.

G2tBlFEl.jpg

Those turned out great! TNG uniforms look really bad if they're not cut just right, you nailed it. And yeah, that gold looks spot on in those shots.

My boyfriend and I as Riker and Tasha. I made both costumes from scratch. My jumpsuit was made with jumbo spandex (the gold I dyed myself) and I converted the Roddenberry pattern into the S3+ style (which I know is inaccurate for Tasha but whatever). At some point I will probably do Beverly, and eventually, once I'm in good enough shape, I plan to do Seven of Nine.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5596/15124494052_4d35c965b6_c.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/G2tBlFEl.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5112/14071969271_1dd93cb64f_c.jpg

Those look brilliant! Great work

Thanks, guys! A friend let me borrow a swatch of fabric that's supposedly screen-accurate, so I did a lot of dye tests to get it to match. The jumpsuit pattern was also a huge pain to work with - not because of converting it, but because a bunch of the sections weren't lining up correctly and I had to keep adjusting things. As I mentioned, I'll probably make another jumpsuit for Beverly, but I'm kind of dreading all that dyeing and working with that pattern again! (Though I believe I saved all my altered pattern pieces...)

Ah, costume patterns that don't quite work out. Story of all of us, I'm sure. The TOS pattern I used for the shirt had SM, M, L, XL, XXL sizes. All of which were almost the exact same size. I ended up using the XL (and I am no where near XL by any measure, except the fool who made the pattern).

As for my Trek costumes. I've got a TNG Season 1, which I made in 1990 (still fits, if I don't breath). A Voyager redshirt (metaphorically speaking, since it was the gold uniformed security guys who bought it in the later years). And finally, a TOS redshirt (metaphorically and literally).

The TOS was a full circle for me. The first costume I ever sewed myself was a TOS redshirt back in 1985. I finally decided to redo everything now that I can sew a bit better, and I could get a pattern for the pants. Not to mention the cool toys I could buy from Art Asylum.

In the pic for the TOS redshirt, his tricorder has revealed the shocking truth that time actually is money.

Attachments

• TOS1.JPG
    TOS1.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 262
  • VGR1.JPG
    VGR1.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 259
  • VGR2.JPG
    VGR2.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 225
  • TNG1.JPG
    TNG1.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 265
Thanks, guys! A friend let me borrow a swatch of fabric that's supposedly screen-accurate, so I did a lot of dye tests to get it to match. The jumpsuit pattern was also a huge pain to work with - not because of converting it, but because a bunch of the sections weren't lining up correctly and I had to keep adjusting things. As I mentioned, I'll probably make another jumpsuit for Beverly, but I'm kind of dreading all that dyeing and working with that pattern again! (Though I believe I saved all my altered pattern pieces...)

"Once I get in shape." Are you outta your mind.. You looked great in that suit and it's not one that forgives a lot.. If you have 5 extra pounds that jumpsuit will show it off... weather you want it to or not actually.

Here's what I do for the TOS Dresses I make I get craft paper from my local art supply store. I trace the pattern and correct the mistakes on paper as I go... Some times this creates whole new problems.. That's fine It's how the big four do things! they just keep refining it until it's flawless. if you surf the 1701st forum. Your find the shop in Los Angeles that sells the proper blue jumbo spandex!
http://www.internationalsilks.com/International_Silks_and_Woolens/Home.html is where the DS9 Tweed comes from... http://www.bblackandsons.com/ Might be where the Lycra comes from, I don't remember right now!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back