Cantwell T16 Skyhopper research thread

Believe it or not, but I have a tape reel in my car (dont ask why) and I noticed today it has the 3 notches ! Yeaaaaah ! That's very weird because it's the same brand that the ones I use to buy and they have no notch at all... (at least the new ones)

WOW! That's awesome Julien!

I think i found another truck donor instead of the kit #8000 Transtar CO-4070A. CO4070 is hard to find. Looking at instruction sheets i noticed the Transtar II Eagle has the same instructions with the exception of the air filter box and bumper. I don't think that part is used on any of the concept models though. The other catch is that if you want the air bags that are used on the Y wing engines you will need the first issue of this kit with air ride suspension. Kit #8017. The rerelease is kit # 6183 and it has a walking beam suspension. I have an 8017 coming and i will verify it when i get it.

EDIT. I think the back wheels are not the right ones....

Last edited:
Killer. You are correct sir, the wheel hubs are different.

From my reshearch the only ERTL transtar that has the correct parts for all the Cantwell models (so far)is the CO-4070A.

For example the Transtar F-4270 has a couple of the parts needed for the Y-wing but not all the parts for the Y-wing and the right wheel hub for the T-16 but not the right engine block.

The Transtar 2 Eagle has a couple of the parts needed for the Y-wing but not all that is needed for the Y-wing. It has the correct engine block for the T-16 but the wrong wheel hub.

Got the Revell mercury/gemini kit today. I found a couple more parts for the T-16. I will try to get the kit sprues scanned tomorrow.

t16tape.jpg

I can send it for casting if someone is making a kit of the T-16 and does not find one. Jason ?

I believe that I have found the correct heatsink.

They are made by Fischer Elektonik in Germany. The link is here;
f.cool

Lowergun3_mod.JPG

This one is 18.5mm wide, or approx 3/4 inch, which would appear to be the dimensions of the one pictured in this thread.

Maybe someone could confirm the dimensions?

Getting closer.... stay on target ...... :lol

Edit: Jan 2018. Fischer don't seem to have these any more, but a Google search for Fischer Elektronik KK5095S should find some.

Last edited:
Wow! Great job!
I have two sizes, one is larger than the other, the larger one matches the measurements from Fischer, the smaller one measures 9mm high and 17mm wide.
The larger one is really huge compared to the smaller one.
That could very well be it, it measures close to the smaller one than it does to the bigger one.

I remain positive that someone is still using those molds for tape. At a dollar store today my wife found (yes, I have my wife looking for me! ) "Jot" brand invisible tape. The tape dispenser is the old style two sided plastic and the tape cutter is metal as opposed to plastic. The roll has the nubs, but it has 4 (one every 90 degrees) instead of 3. So...while we have one to mold, I'm going to keep looking and if I find them Ill offer up the brand we need to buy.

Yeah, I found that cheap brand too. I got all excited until I checked against the prop and found it had three vs the tape's 4! :cry They were something like 10c each a roll too.... bummer.

Yeah, I found that cheap brand too. I got all excited until I checked against the prop and found it had three vs the tape's 4! :cry They were something like 10c each a roll too.... bummer.

There used to be a million of them, and all this means is it has just become a fun Easter egg to hunt.

- Grandparents
- yard sales
- and best of all estate sales
- email that pic to everyone you can think of.

I got the transtar II Eagle in. It is a kit #8017 and it does not have the airbag suspension.

Parts that look correct.

Engine block #5
chrome tanks on engine block #8
wheel backs #62
part between #14 and #63 looks like one of the mudflaps
Fuel tanks used on YWING

Parts not in kit i thought would be.

Wheel back #14 I'm not sure if this part is in the CO-4070A either which means there is yet another truck that is needed. There is an oilpan and front axle on the original blockaid runner concept the doesn't match the transtar parts.

Little parts that sit behind part #8 (part of the airbag suspension)
Airbags for the YWING engines.

Parts not in kit i knew were not.

Wheel rim on back in center of tape roll.

Found another sticky tape roll, this time with three notches...

They are, however, slightly different shape and size to the T-16 one. Damn!!

Sovereign_Tape3.jpg

You will notice that they aren't as tall as on the original and they go completely from the inside edge to the outside edge.
Cross Sovereign Super Clear tape off the list :thumbsdown

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back