Beetlejuice house model - FINISHED pics page 2

Howlrunner

Sr Member
I'm trying to build a scale model of the Maitland's house from Beetlejuice, the same size and scale as Adam's model of it from the Attic in the movie:

beetlejuice01.jpg

Other than DVD screencaps of the full size (real) house I have pretty much no other reference pictures. It's a pretty complex shape and I don't have views of all the sides.

I know that the actual model (6 x 6 x 6 inches) was sold on eBay in December 2009, but only found this one small pic of it:

beetlejuicehouse.jpg

Did anyone save the other pictures from the auction or have any other good reference pics (or plans?!)?

Last edited:
Re: Beetlejuice house model reference pics needed

HOnestly, I'm betting the model railroad section of your hobby shop will have every thing you'd need to pull it off. I think it looks pretty simple **ducks**

Oh, by the way . . . NICE ******* MODEL!!! :p hee-hee!!

yeah post a few pictures on the Model railroad site and they would id it for you , kit and all. That is a great thing to do

I'm not doubting how simple it will be (I intend to use platicard/styrene to construct it), but I need to know what it looks like first. This side is easy. But the back and side views in the movie show that there are different sizes and angles of roofs sticking out all over the place:

beetlejuice03.jpg

It's these sides that I could do with better references of to nail down a template, hence the call for more/better pics. :thumbsup

OK, I've started working on the model and am making good progress.

I started with drawing up templates for each side of the house based on screenshots (thankfully I eventually found shots of each of the 4 sides). The templates are in Microsoft Word, done by inserting Shapes and building the sides with rectangles, squares, circles and triangles. Anyone interested in the templates? If so, I'll get them uploaded.

Re: Beetlejuice house model

would love to see them mate.

Any more info on the original that sold? who sold it? The hole at the top on the left looks smaller than the screen grab.

I love BJ and I think its a shame there are so few props, info about the making of it.
If you know of any mkaing of info let me know mate.

Thanks
weequay

OK, here are the templates that I made for the house for the side walls. After these are put together, the roofs and extra little sticky-out parts of the building will need to be measured and cut by hand.

*NOTE* The lower rough-stone section of the model has been made a little too long - you will need to trim about 1cm off the bottom on each side.

FRONT:
HouseFront.jpg

BACK:
HouseBack.jpg

RIGHT SIDE (as you face the front of the house):
HouseRightSide.jpg

LEFT SIDE (as you face the front of the house):
HouseLeftSide.jpg

This rotatable 3D model I found (of the "modernised" house) also gives a good idea of the layout, but the RIGHT SIDE and the BACK on this 3D model are inaccurate.

I will post up photos of what I've done when I can get a hold of a camera that has working batteries.... It's nearly finished (bar the painting) - just got a few more tiny window cross bars to cut and glue....

This would be a great model to build! Thanks for all the hard work.

The pic of the house that sold on ebay does look different from the screen shot. Of course that could be because one is a picture and one is a screen grab. But, most of the windows look different between the pics. Example, the five windows on the left side of the house appear to be closer to the bottom stone work on the picture than on the screen grab. The chimneys appear to be different, and those two center windows look much smaller in the picture compared to the screen grab. Looks like a different house altogether. Again, could be the pictures as well causing the differences......

Now that you mention it, yeah, the auction photo does have quite a few differences.... Glad I didn't use it for reference.

OK, just got the stairs and veranda floor supports to make now. Notice that on the screencap of the model the stairs on the right of the veranda (as you look at it from the front) stick straight out from the side towards the right. However, on the actual house shown in the screencap, the stairs are actually connected to the back of the veranda and run parallel with the side of the house. I'll be going with the inaccurate screen-seen model rather than the full size house.

Anyone know where to get those little railing things that are on the top of the tower roof?

And anyone know how the lower stonework has been done on the model? Is it a printed paper? A textured paper? Flat paintwork? Textured paintwork? Thoughts and opinions?

There's a few flat plastic pieces that have stone texture you might have seen at the hobby shop. Plastruct here in the states has them. You could also make "bricks" out of 5 mintue epokxy and just build yourself a foundation.

Might have to build one of these my self!! Cool project!!

Does anyone know if the full size house was a "real" house, or just a movie facade built on location for the movie? If it's real, does anybody know the location?

It was just a fascade built for the movie. Apparently there was a basketball court inside it during filming.:lol

Am I the only one who thinks the model that sold on Ebay and the original look different?

Some of the windows look too small on the Ebay model, the chimney is too short, the lines on the metal roof look different, the shape of the roof on the tall part looks too short in height, the foundation looks a little too short to the ground.....

I could be wrong, or it just might be the angle of the shot... but, while it is close, there are small things that make me wonder :unsure

I'm trying to build a scale model of the Maitland's house from Beetlejuice, the same size and scale as Adam's model of it from the Attic in the movie:

beetlejuice01.jpg

Other than DVD screencaps of the full size (real) house I have pretty much no other reference pictures. It's a pretty complex shape and I don't have views of all the sides.

I know that the actual model (6 x 6 x 6 inches) was sold on eBay in December 2009, but only found this one small pic of it:

beetlejuicehouse.jpg

Did anyone save the other pictures from the auction or have any other good reference pics (or plans?!)?

Regarding the diffrent between the ebay model and the screencap. Could it not been that they used diffrent models for diffrent shots?
It would be odd if the they used the "Hero" models in all the scenes in the movie.
Might be a background model?

Yeah, definitely differences between the two. The biggest tell would be the other sides, but can't really tell more without photos of the other angles.

OK, I got a camera, so can finally add pics to this thread.... Unfortunately it's a camera phone, so the pics ain't that great quality, but they should be good enough to make out the shapes so you can see what I was going for with the templates.

Oh, and I accidently cut and glued down the main left to right roof first, and then the main front to back roof that intersects it. Do NOT do this - it should be the opposite order. As you can see, it results in the left to right roof being higher than the front to back roof - this is wrong, it should be the other way around. I didn't notice this until it was too late to fix - learn from my mistake. :unsure

I would also recommend NOT using matches for the window borders - they're too thick. Ideally my window borders should be half the thickness.

With that said, on to the pictures.....

BeetlejuiceHouseModel1.jpg
BeetlejuiceCap1.jpg

BeetlejuiceHouseModel2.jpg
BeetlejuiceCap2.jpg

BeetlejuiceHouseModel3.jpg

BeetlejuiceHouseModel4.jpg
BeetlejuiceCap3.jpg

BeetlejuiceHouseModel5.jpg

BeetlejuiceHouseModel6.jpg

BeetlejuiceHouseModel7.jpg
BeetlejuiceCap4.jpg

Veranda stairs and supports, tower roof railings, painting and base with trees and fence still to go........

It looks amazing. I'm impressed

You know what you should do?

You know that large model of the town that Alec Baldwin made in the movie? Well, instead of that town, you should have the countryside populated by famous movie houses. You know like from Psycho, A Nightmare on Elm Street, The Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind, The Amityville Horror, Poltergeist, Up. The castle from Edward Scissorhands. Even Pee Wee's house.

Have the movie theater from The Last Picture Show and the Pizzaria from Do the Right Thing.

I'm sorry, I'm just doing some brainstorming.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back